Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1520580 times)

Carson

Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »
The Alamo Drafthouse Theater surfaced in Austin, TX while I was attending school there around '97. The original downtown location was a discount "dollar theater" showing second run movies. A few years later a second Alamo Drafthouse location was opened showing first run movies and the original, downtown location soon became legend re-screening every cult classic imaginable. The Alamo Drafthouse posters commissioned to advertise these re-screenings have added a lot of fun and color to collecting.

Which have you collected? Let us know which one's you're liking and passing on and any news of new upcoming Alamo Drafthouse designs!

edit: and to Varmit I extend my full apology for my involvement in the move of the original thread and your words there-in; may this one shine bright free from obscurity forever :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:56:05 AM by Carson »

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
Well, I will start with my Alamo collection in this thread.

Here it is: http://www.moviepostermadness.com/Movie_Poster_Madness/Alamo_Drafthouse.html

I started collecting these very late in the game after the Big Trouble Little China posters were sold out. Then, they did not sell out quickly. I think my first purchase was Spaced, Last Night at the Alamo, Escape from Alcatraz and Fantastic Fest 2006. I would love to add a lot of Stout's older pieces to my collection and wish I was more aware of them when they were released. In the end, it is because of your 1st thread started over at MPF that got me into them.

Cj

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »
Very nice collection, CJ.  It's especially nice since I have pretty the same collection.  I hate it when I see posters that I really want on other people's collections.

It's interesting that some Alamo posters sell in a matter of seconds, while others sit on the site forever... like Suspiria, Tremors, Basket Case and now, maybe, Tan's Warriors.  Meanwhile Tyler, well, we all know about Tyler...

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 12:45:05 AM »
Hey Carson,

Though I'm sure you already know, it was specific to that thread...had he moved any previously public thread to the private section would have felt the same.

Apology accepted :)
Ves

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
For those of you interested, Ves still has a bunch of Alamo posters for sale... minus the ones that I've already bought from her.

Check out her site.

http://www.theartofmovieposters.com/

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

wonka

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »
Thierry, you cleaned her out of the other Stout stuff didn't you?

I am shocked both versions of Metropolis are still in your stock, Ves.  Fantastic posters, and after his work on Phantom, stuff by Ansin should only go up in demand and price...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
Well, I started late in the ballgame (thanks to Carson), so I had to catch up quick.  I did get both "The Thing" from her though, and I'm so happy I did because I wouldn't know where to get them now.
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
So is there a new Warriors series coming, or have they FINALLY done with the title?

T.
My Personal Collection

wonka

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 03:17:28 PM »
Another wave coming.

You would think if they were doing this wave thing, it would be with a different title...more mainstream with more graphical approaches in terms of options...something like Star Wars, for example.

guest8

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
LOL .. Cause Lucas would destroy them like the rebels did the death star if they tried to make money off of his property !! ;)

wonka

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »
Not if it was a licensed screening, of course.

guest8

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
Thats something magical to me .. I want to know just how someone does that ! ;)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »
I believe this last round of Warriors posters are just art prints, not tied to a specific screening.  As such, they'd be in the class of the Lebowski prints.

Still a few to go up on the Alamo section of the site when I get the ferqin time.  No more Stout though...all that I am willing to let go (which was pretty much everything except Blade Runner) is gone.  I didn't mind his style at the start, but now they are pretty much the same old thing.  Kleinsmith and Perkins I'm generally loving...
Ves

acidburn

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 09:49:58 AM »
tyler is doing monster squad. how sick is that

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 04:44:08 AM »
As always, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out after their latest release experiment.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 04:34:06 PM »
Well with Warriors I seen that they limited all the online sales to either 1 or 2 prints per person .. I think that will help the "collectors" out there quite a bit .. Also since it is Stout I hope that they will do a larger than normal print run, because honestly, as long as his names on it they will sell out ... Even if its poo-poo it will sell out and within minutes one will be on eBay for $500 :P

easyenders

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
Well with Warriors I seen that they limited all the online sales to either 1 or 2 prints per person .. I think that will help the "collectors" out there quite a bit .. Also since it is Stout I hope that they will do a larger than normal print run, because honestly, as long as his names on it they will sell out ... Even if its poo-poo it will sell out and within minutes one will be on eBay for $500 :P
did you get his last one?

guest8

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
I think the only Stout piece I have is 'Fear of the Red Planet'.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »
I think the only Stout piece I have is 'Fear of the Red Planet'.

And Fear of the Red Planet is a nice one to have.

Chad

guest8

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »
Oh yeah I have it framed .. theres a pic of it on my photobucket as well as posted here in the 'whats on your walls' thread.. I have the red version and just for the sake of collecting I want to get a hol dof the gold version as well ;)

acidburn

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 08:18:01 AM »
I received the jerrys art rama portfolio yesterday. Its pretty great. A little tight to put in but still great. One of my Lost Boys prints sort of bends upwards a little so hopefully being in the case itll flatten out. My dad had to help me put each work in the slips.

guest8

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »
Hey acid .. where is it you live again .. ;)

acidburn

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 09:27:26 AM »
Its mixed. My parents are sort of divorced so right now Im in NJ but for the summer im in cali. You?

guest8

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »
Damn it .. Too far to drive to either of those places to steal your collection :P (I live in Indianapolis)

acidburn

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »
haha its not even worth a drive for...yet lol