Author Topic: History of movie poster forums - anybody have the full 411?  (Read 38450 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: History of movie poster forums - anybody have the full 411?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
Jason, yu have the reasons bass-ackwards
Reality: People are supposed to act with at least a modicum of good behavior. It wasn't Bruce's fault anything, it was the trolls who feel free speech allows them to say anything they wish and this is incorrect. Free speech allows you to say things that are not defamatory. When you say defamatory things you are breaking civil and possibly criminal laws depending on how rooted in provable fact your statements are or aren't. Truth is not actionable, but how you tell that truth can be.

Chicken or Egg?

Both played a part.  The only answer is to not feed the trolls with the attention that they seek.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
Rich:

Heritage links to this in their "Sell" section.

You can add emovieposter.com but I don't feel like signing up for an account.

http://www.compete.com/m/graph_to_image/ha-com-christies-com-sothebys-com/uv/1y/big/

Chris

Bruce

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »
Here is the graph

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/ha.com+emovieposter.com+profilesinhistory.com/?metric=uv&months=12

As to the mysterious maxed bids, that happens at TONS of auctions. The absentee bidder enters an absentee bid, and the item goes for just under their bid (and those mysterious underbidders never care about the same item the next time it comes up). That's how you see an item sell for $50,000 one time and pass at $25,000 the next time.

I have seen this myself many times and have had many regular bidders report that it has happened to them.

Bruce

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »
Well the Movie Poster Talk Forum archives still exist and appear to be complete - 194 pages of threads, so the information there has not been lost.

BTW it is very unusual for a website that has been dead for five years to still be around....

How come I get a system error when I try to go to this link?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
me too, and seems I cant access the forum at all, never had a problem before.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 10:41:49 PM »
Seems you get that error message with the entire site, not just the forums.  Maybe changing webhosts or he took down the site entirely

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »
I hope it hasnt been taken down.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »
As to the mysterious maxed bids, that happens at TONS of auctions. The absentee bidder enters an absentee bid, and the item goes for just under their bid (and those mysterious underbidders never care about the same item the next time it comes up). That's how you see an item sell for $50,000 one time and pass at $25,000 the next time.

I have seen this myself many times and have had many regular bidders report that it has happened to them.

Bruce, your detractors might suggest that this very scenario just happened with your recently offered Babe Comes Home insert.

Do you have any specific examples of a poster that sold at Heritage for $50,000 and then was passed the next time at $25,000?
Or was this a generic comment at your "competition"?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »
The site was gradually losing information.  The last time I checked a few months ago you could only access the original posts but not the replies.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 10:54:05 PM »
Rich:

Heritage links to this in their "Sell" section.

You can add emovieposter.com but I don't feel like signing up for an account.

http://www.compete.com/m/graph_to_image/ha-com-christies-com-sothebys-com/uv/1y/big/

where's MoviePosterBid??
 moron1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »
What's that Rich?
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:28 PM »
Who's Rich?
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »
My recollection was the site was taken down due to threats or disapproval of posts from multiple heavy weights in the field and I believe Jon was leaned on both legally and morally by "friends" to make changes.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »
Dale, I thought you were coming down here to start some trouble.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Bruce

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 06:59:11 AM »
Sean

The Babe Comes Home  "sold" the first time for $9,700. The auction is at http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=1880609

After repeated promises to pay, the high bidder (a well known memorabilia dealer) never paid, so I re-auctioned it with this Important Added Info:

"IMPORTANT! We auctioned this poster in our last mini/major auction, and it finished at $9,700. But the high bidder did not pay (after repeated promises to do so), so we are re-auctioning it, giving all bidders one final chance to acquire this rare and wonderful poster. But please do not bid on this poster unless you can accept its defects described above or are willing to pay to have them properly restored, AND CAN PAY FOR YOUR PURCHASE WITHIN ONE WEEK!"

It sold for $5,376, and the poster has been paid for and received. The auction is at http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2026172

Bruce

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 07:19:47 AM »
I had just returned from Vegas on the 13th, couldn't find anything for my wife to do while I made a return trip  ;)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »
I still miss MPT and some of the "unique" personalities that it spawned.

My recollection was the site was taken down due to threats or disapproval of posts from multiple heavy weights in the field and I believe Jon was leaned on both legally and morally by "friends" to make changes.

This is my recollection as well.  

I would also add that the site was unmoderated for a while.  As time went on, some people had issue with some of the posts.  It got to a point where Jon warned people and turned it into a moderated forum.  At the time, several regular posters and contributors agreed to serve as moderators.  Things were peaceful for a short while, but the shit storm hit when one of these moderators posted something, about a dealer that crossed the line or was very provocative depending on your point of view.  I think the site was down permanently within a week or two of that.

That's around when Ari and Phil started NSFGE.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:34:12 AM by jpicken »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
Bruce,
You explained what happened and I certainly believe you - but my question still stands:
Do YOU have any specific examples of a poster selling for $50,000 and then being passed entirely the next time it was offered at $25,000?
Or is the above statement just part of your general smear promotional campaign?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Bruce

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2011, 06:31:25 PM »
I guess I am wrong, since you clearly know all the inside info, but from the outside, it looked like this poster (http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=667&Lot_No=28859 "sold" for $47,800, and then one in better condition after that passed with a $25,000 minimum.

And if you want to have a conversation, and accuse me of smearing someone, you probably don't advance your cause by accusing me of lying. If you persist, I will let you argue this with yourself, or one of the trolls.

Bruce

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
Bruce, I know for a fact that the This Gun For Hire poster did indeed sell for that $47k and I know who won it as well as who it was bought for, so it isn't a really good example - if you might have a different one.

That poster sold to "bidder #2"  who was repping someone putting a museum quality collection together with an endless well of money at the height of the time period that they were buying and most of the rest of us knew that title would go back to to something South of $25k in short process (as well as hundreds of other posters the buyer won). Cost was not an issue to the eventual owner.

-------

Bruce

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
So who was the $47,000 underbidder who didn't want another one in better condition for half the price a short time later?

Bruce

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »
I guess I am wrong, since you clearly know all the inside info, but from the outside, it looked like this poster (http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=667&Lot_No=28859 "sold" for $47,800, and then one in better condition after that passed with a $25,000 minimum.

And if you want to have a conversation, and accuse me of smearing someone, you probably don't advance your cause by accusing me of lying. If you persist, I will let you argue this with yourself, or one of the trolls.

Bruce

Bruce,

I have never accused of you lying and am not sure what you are talking about.  If you are referring to the Babe Come Home poster, I was careful to label it by saying your detractors could try to argue shenanigans with you.  I have no reason to disbelieve what you originally stated and in fact was planning on bidding on it the second time around but totally forgot (In fact Rich tried to remind me the evening it closed but my wife and I were at the movies and I didn't get to bid).

As for the This Gun For Hire poster:  Three more copies were offered by Heritage in auctions after the $47K copy and all of them found happy buyers in the $20-22K range.  I do see that one finally passed this past summer, I am not familiar with what the reserve was but would suggest that if it was $25K, the three previous sales shows that to be too high of a number.  Certainly the underbidder could have bought any of the three copies that were previously sold. 
I do know that at least one of the underbidders on the $47K copy (a well known Canadian collector who also frequently bids in your auctions) did indeed purchase a copy privately, as he purchased it from me.  I am not certain if he was THE underbidder, or the 3rd place bidder as I did not ask him.

Sean
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 02:38:31 AM »
So who was the $47,000 underbidder who didn't want another one in better condition for half the price a short time later?

Bruce

he probably got the one that sold for $25k and his only competition was less
doesn't that make sense to you?

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »
Sean and Bruce are actually gaga over each other, despite what notions this thread may allow.

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »
I have known Bruce personally for 20 years now (and before that by reputation from my comic book background), and have always considered him to
be a friend and an honest straight-shooter in general.
I still remember on the original MPT forum a post someone made about a Thing From Another World poster they had purchased from me and the buyer was worried because he hadn't been able to get ahold of me over a weekend.  Bruce came on and said he was so confident in me that he would personally reimburse the buyer if it turned out I ran away with his money - that's not something you do for someone you don't get along with.

Any misunderstanding in this thread I believe stems from the usual problem of posting on a board and not being able to see/hear in person what was intended by any comment.
www.Kaijuposters.com