Author Topic: Latecoere 521  (Read 8033 times)

Offline GerryG

• Beginner
Latecoere 521
« on: July 14, 2021, 10:48:18 AM »
Hi All,

I recently acquired this poster and was hoping to find out some more information about the printer, scarcity if any and if and how I should mount it into a frame. I believe the subject is the Latecoere 521 Flying Boat which set a new distance record in 1937 flying between Morocco and Brazil. This variant was named "Lieutenant de Vaisseau" and like all its sister models, destroyed by the retreating German troops in 1944. The poster is in good condition with slight fraying to the edges though the colours are vibrant having been stored in an artist's folder for most of its life. I loved the scene at first sight, reminded me of scene from Tintin. I am hoping being original with a unique aviation subject affiliated to Air France, it might have some value. I have been unable to find anything similar on the interweb. There is also a signature bottom right corner which I am assuming is the Artist/Printer. Any thoughts, suggestions and comments are most welcome. KR Gerry

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Latecoere 521
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 03:44:17 PM »
Hi Gerry, My initial impression from your photo, looks to me like your poster may have been produced more recently than 1937.   Of course not being able to see, feel, and smell the poster it's hard to be sure. As an image you enjoy and would like to frame (not mount), I recommend checking out Spotlight Displays or Hollywood Poster Frames which are easy to find online.  My best, Okie

Offline GerryG

• Beginner
Re: Latecoere 521
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 06:38:30 AM »
Thanks Okie, upon doing more research I have found out the poster is not of that era but more recent. I believe the typeface and proofing bottom centre indicated it is a composite copy. Anyway as you said the image is quite attractive and should hang well in my home office. Gerry