Author Topic: May 2021  (Read 9634 times)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
May 2021
« on: May 01, 2021, 10:30:15 PM »
Also, I love Serial Mom!
One of my mom's favorites! I'm lucky she had great taste in films and led me to a lot of gems! Thanks to her, I now have a wall with Adventures In Babysitting posters!
I have a Serial Mom One Sheet but it isn't up at the moment. I'm really hoping in the next few years I'll move to a better place with more space for all of these that I'm finding.

Here are two of my latest finds - 1992's Bodywaves and 1993's Bikini Carwash Company. I purchased the latter based on the poster alone since I haven't seen the film itself - I just love the look of it and knowing how much I enjoy these old exploitation films I'm certain I'll get a good laugh out of it!
The poster for the first film and the VHS tapes for all three films are on the way and I'm really excited to watch them!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: May 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 05:51:07 AM »
I haven't seen Serial Mom for over 25 years but have never forgotten what happened to the person who forgot to rewind their VHS rental tape. Great film.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 04:32:46 PM »
This is really not the stuff I collect, because it's kind of ridiculous and I have not seen the movie (let alone even heard of the series), but it made me smile and Bruce Springsteen's sister is in the lead.  Also, it was there and there is nothing to buy these days.

T
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:44:21 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »
The first Sleepaway Camp is actually kinda awesome, as it has arguable the most bonkers final shot of any slasher film ever made.  It's not a great movie by any stretch of the mind, but it's pretty unique and the reveal of the killer's identity is quite memorable to say the least.  The 2 sequels starring Bruce Springsteen's sister Pamela lean heavily into a more comedic tone, too much so for my taste especially since the jokes aren't particularly funny, but they have their fans.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 09:41:04 PM »
Thanks Antoine.  I wasn't going to bother w it but your review intrigues me.  I'll bill you 2 hrs of my life if it sucks :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 11:33:27 PM »
I might have oversold it a bit, lol.  Get ready for a fairly by-the-numbers early slasher set in a summer camp with uneven acting and enlivened by some unusual characters (Angela's aunt in particular seems like she stepped out of a John Waters movie), culminating with that memorable last shot which manages to retroactively elevate everything that came before it.  They sure don't make movies like this anymore!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »
Welp I was gonna start a May 2021 thread but figured I'd continue with April.  Really like the rad video store works, and surprising to see Monsiuer Brie acquiring a video store beauty.

I won these 2 B2's recently:
A cool movie by Mr. Gosling - Lost River (2014)
DSCPDC_0002_BURST20210511103139447_COVER

I hadn't heard of this one, but after seeing the artwork decided to watch it and it's pretty good.  The tagline with images instead of text is a nice touch.  Zombeavers (2014)
DSC_1049

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 12:32:43 AM »
Neo, Wasn't Zombeavers showing up on Netflix or Amazon recently?  Okie

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »
Neo, Wasn't Zombeavers showing up on Netflix or Amazon recently?  Okie

I don't know, I saw it on DVD.  8)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 12:33:42 PM »
and surprising to see Monsiuer Brie acquiring a video store beauty.

Yep, I surprised myself too.  But it was cheap enough and like I said, it made me smile.  Also, I don't think a theatrical poster exists.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 06:27:05 PM »

^Polish poster by Hibner for cult Czech film Limonádový Joe aneb Koňská opera (1964) aka Lemonade Joe

^Polish poster of East German musical Revue um Mitternacht (1962) aka Midnight Revue
not seen film and probably never will but i loved the art by Irena Janczewska

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 01:34:09 AM »
Fun posters from Poland, Redman!  Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 09:21:31 PM »
I've been expanding my narrow collecting habits a bit lately with formats that I usually don't acquire: for example, I recently picked up a pressbook for the 1936 Todd Browning film Devil Doll.  Since paper for this title is quite scarce (only a couple of linenbacked one-sheets style D have surfaced at auctions in the past 20 years), I figured that this would be as good an opportunity as any for me to get something from this movie.  The MGM pressbooks were often quite lavish compared to those made by other studios, and the full color front cover is the same size as a window card (and it reproduces the exact same image), so that got me interested.  I quite like it and I'm thinking of framing it as it is (probably double-sided so that the back showing the various poster sizes in color can be seen too).

I also bought an insert, which is a format I generally dislike, for The Undying Monster (1942), John Brahm's atmospheric take on the werewolf myth.  What decided me to make an exception this time is because I find the overall design of the insert much more appealing than the art used for the one-sheet, which I always found lackluster. 

Finally, I got an original painting by the godfather of pulp magazine illustrations, the great Norman Saunders.  This one was used as the cover of 10 Story Detective, November 1942.  I'm pretty psyched about this acquisition, since I've always loved Saunders' work (I own several pulps that he did covers for), so getting one of his original artwork feels pretty special.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 09:48:12 PM »
This is awsome!!!  I had to make it big for everyone's benefit.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 11:28:40 PM »
Thanks T for enlarging my pic!
(I really need to figure out how to post larger images around here, lol!)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 10:29:02 PM »

Yes, great Norman Saunders, Antoine!  Welcome to the original pulp art collecting club!  Careful, this new collecting development can lead to comic, fantasy, SF, and other illustration original art collecting.  I also thought long and hard about the Devil Doll pressbook because of the great color images like you mentioned.  Glad you got it.  Best, Okie
Thanks T for enlarging my pic!
(I really need to figure out how to post larger images around here, lol!)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 01:40:05 PM »
Okie, I think you might be right about that, lol.  I already have a (small) collection of pulp magazines, but this is the first time I'm getting an example of original art, so it does feel like like this could lead to more.  We'll see.

Hopefully you'll find another copy of that Devil Doll PB, it's quite a beauty.  I've always liked that movie, so I'm glad to finally have paper for such an elusive title.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 02:27:52 PM »
Incredible stuff as usual, Antoine!

Offline angelflyover

• Beginner
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 08:45:13 PM »

Not much new send to cinemas recently,but this new international the suicide squad poster caught my eye.Quite classic so I added it to my collection.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »
More great stuff. Love the Detective artwork!

Have not received these yet, probably not for another month or more, but did come up with two more pieces that I am very happy with for this month.

Vanishing Point STB-
Image borrowed from EMP. The one I am waiting on is rolled, not paper backed like the image.

Lawrence of Arabia R70 B0-
Not my favorite artwork for the movie but I love BIG PAPER so a big win anyway!
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 10:13:34 PM »
Angelflyover: Thanks for sharing your international Suicide Squad.  What a lot of colorful, eye candy action!

Undead: Oh yeah, early 1970s cool!!! Awesome!

Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 10:32:16 PM »

Undead: Oh yeah, early 1970s cool!!! Awesome!

Yes, that Vanishing Point taketan is quite nice.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 11:38:44 PM »
Something I picked up in Bruce's Tuesday auction for $166.  I was surprised it was a 1949 stone litho and hoped I would get it. It's for the U.S. 3 sheet for Forbidden Street with an incredibly lovely image of Maureen O'Hara.  Oh, but she does an old Irish boy's heart good! This 1949 3 sheet made me wonder what was the latest year a pre-1970, U.S. stone litho movie poster was made for movie theatres to display?  Okie 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 12:13:39 AM by okiehawker »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »
I have been picking up a few cheapies lately that I have been eyeing for a long time to fill in some holes in my collection............

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 11:48:58 PM »
Wow, Kovaks, those Mother Lodes have pretty cool painted images.  I don't recall the movie. Do you think it's worth giving a look see?  Okie