Author Topic: If you wanted to frame a 3 sheet or larger: would you line back it?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Just wondering if you have a 3 sheet or larger where there is a break in the paper.
And you want to frame it, would you get it linenbacked?
I have a poster that I would like to eventually display. It’s an Italian 55x78. It’s extremely rare, and it is in near mint condition.

Would you back it? What are your thoughts and opinions?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: If you wanted to frame a 3 sheet or larger: would you line back it?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 06:43:04 PM »
Too many factors come into it so opinions will vary widely. Maybe use archival tape to join them but dont use glass (use plexy) in the frame to avoid sticking to it. I like backing but then you cant easily fold it away afterwards and it is costly to back but you wont accidently rip it in 2 years from now.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 06:44:34 PM by 50s »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 06:46:08 PM »
I’m not worried about paying the backing. More worried about misaligning it with the tape if I don’t back it lol.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 07:02:15 PM »
A RESOUNDING NO!

Build a frame with foam backing and use clips and push pins (you've seen my frame).  You can even do a wood ledge so that the clips hide underneath (if the clips bother you.)  There are many ways to do this without killing the poster.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
A RESOUNDING NO!

Build a frame with foam backing and use clips and push pins (you've seen my frame).  You can even do a wood ledge so that the clips hide underneath (if the clips bother you.)  There are many ways to do this without killing the poster.

T

But how do you get the two panels to stay together? I’ve seen your frame and the clips on the bottom and top of the posters but I don’t see any on the sides?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 08:03:41 PM »
With more clips, but on the side.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »
I wouldn't linen back it either.  I have a framed 3-sheet for The Creature Walks Among Us, a poster that is almost 70 years-old and therefore somewhat delicate, and I didn't find it necessary to put it on linen or any other support in order to keep the 2 separate pieces in place.  All I used was archival tape to hold the 2 sheets together.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 09:11:36 PM »
I wouldn't linen back it either.  I have a framed 3-sheet for The Creature Walks Among Us, a poster that is almost 70 years-old and therefore somewhat delicate, and I didn't find it necessary to put it on linen or any other support in order to keep the 2 separate pieces in place.  All I used was archival tape to hold the 2 sheets together.

That looks really sharp! thumbsup.gif
What’s the best strategy to get them aligned?

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 09:38:26 PM »
I'm not sure I understand your question about the best strategy to get them aligned.  All I did was use archival tape to hold together the 2 pieces of paper that make up the 3-sheet.  They aligned relatively well (although not perfectly: if you look closely where the bottom half overlaps the top part over the W in the title, you can see a slight misalignment).

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 09:43:56 PM »
Are you using small pieces of tape along the posters or full strip?

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 02:55:47 AM »
I used a full strip.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 11:17:29 AM »
A RESOUNDING NO!

T

I generally disagree. T, you have an incredibly large collection so storage space is an issue and you generally do not display, so having (especially large formats) linen doesn't really help your purposes with collecting.  Also a good restorer doesn't 'kill' the poster, that is just wrong information. The poster might be 'killed' for you bc you don't want it on linen but many folks do and pay more for a restored version of something, which EMP proves time and time again.

I would argue that folks with a small collection/handful don't mind or actually prefer larger posters (or multi panel pieces) on linen because of the obvious: they want it to look the best as a display piece.

I generally understand the hard core collector's mentality of having a poster as it sits, unaltered. I am in the middle here, but in terms of 3sh and larger, I will put something on linen as I like to rotate them in my larger frames. I also have purchased several pieces at a good price because of their condition and do feel good/right about having them restored. Now they do not deteriorate further and future generations have the possibility to enjoy. Ultimately, a good backer treats the poster with respect...all the restoration can be reversed if a future owner so chooses.

I would be careful throwing out terms like 'it kills the poster'...I don't think first class restorers like Dario, Mario Cueva, etc think they are destroying movie posters, because they are not.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,