Author Topic: French Movie Posters: Real Vs. Fake  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
French Movie Posters: Real Vs. Fake
« on: March 10, 2021, 09:57:14 PM »
Hi!
I have a few foreign movie posters in my collection and with these it hasn't been as easy to verify their authenticity since there is very little information I can find online.
The ones I am mainly worried about are my french movie posters. I bought some from French sellers, and some from American sellers.
Is there any good way to know which are fakes and which are real?
I can post measurements and pictures of mine if need be, but also some tips on spotting authentic ones would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: French Movie Posters: Real Vs. Fake
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 11:01:07 PM »
What era of French posters are you talking about.  Pre-1983, the printer is key, at least when it comes to first release vs re-releases.  Tons of re-releases in France.  Sometimes as many as 10 times.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »
The posters I have are mid-late 80s.
If these were US posters I'd probably jump and say they weren't authentic, but since they are foreign I'm not 100% certain.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:14:03 PM »
If they say Cine Posters at the bottom, they're reprints.  Also, Sonis reprinted a bunch of posters, but they are usually undersized.

Some pictures would help.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 01:36:34 PM »
So far I have four French posters.
Two for Quartier Chaud (Tuff Turf), Charlie (All Dogs Go To Heavan), and Oliver Et Compagnie (Disney).
The two Tuff Turf meausre about 22 1/4 x 60 3/4. Charlie is 45 1/2 x 62. Oliver is 45 3/4 x 61 1/4.
The part that confuses me is how a lot of the main text (title and tagline) is clear and clean, but the credits aren't as clear.
Oliver came from an American seller feels a tiny bit thicker (but maybe its just me) and the others came from France.

Here's Tuff Turf, the last image shows what looked like some kind of stamp (?) on the side of the poster.

Oliver:

Charlie:

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »
Why would they forge Oliver , is it 120x160 cms then it should be fine ?

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 10:38:50 PM »
Why would they forge Oliver , is it 120x160 cms then it should be fine ?
I really don't know much about foreign movie posters so I just don't know how common fakes are.
I'd just assumed something by Disney would be a more common reproduction.
But again, because of the sizes I don't know if they were worth reproducing to pass them off as originals.
Oliver is 45 3/4 inches x 61 1/4 inches.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 02:04:00 PM »
My guess its real

Offline Lyonel

• Beginner
    • Mauvais Genres
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 09:24:33 AM »
100% Real for sure for the 47x63. Only a few "big" titles were reprinted in this size (Star Wars…), the repros are easy to spot