Author Topic: Buying Legitimate Posters - Based in the UK  (Read 4301 times)

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
Buying Legitimate Posters - Based in the UK
« on: January 14, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »
First of all, hello everyone!

This is my first post and I am just starting out in the hunt for some original, authentic posters so it will take a little while for me to get up to speed with everything I need to be looking out for.

Is anyone else here based in the UK?

I would like to eventually purchase the original, authentic Goodfellas poster, is this something that is possible in the UK?

From my brief time looking into this, all I have found is that 99% of Official Authentic posters are based in the US.

If anyone else here is based in the UK I would appreciate hearing how you purchase your posters?

Thanks

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Buying Legitimate Posters - Based in the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »
Hi CinemaFanatic,

Welcome! There are a few UK members here.

I think Mel’s site gives quite a nice starting point to buying: http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Buying_Guide.html

If you’re in no rush, patience really pays off in this hobby - it’s quite easy to overpay when you’re new and finding your feet (which is fine if you can afford it).

With the price of international postage quite high (and the new rules regarding all items being charged 20% VAT), a good tactic can be to find sellers who offer a few posters that you’re after so you can fit a few into one tube. For example, Emovieposter.com offer a ‘pay and hold’ service, which means they’ll hold all your auction wins over a 12 week period, which I find very useful.

Don’t forget that we also have authentic cinema posters here in the UK! They are landscape orientation, measure 40x30” and are known as Quads.

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 05:40:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

May be a silly question, but are the US posters the more desired and more "authentic" in the sense of it being the number 1 poster from the movie rather than the UK versions?

I can't find anywhere in the UK to buy an authentic original poster of Goodfellas, which is the poster I am specifically looking to buy.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 05:51:56 AM »
I think ‘desire’ has a lot of contributory factors (poster design, scarcity, demand etc). For some films, the quad is more desired than the one sheet. Some collectors like to collect ‘country of origin’ for their posters etc.

For Goodfellas, I think the one sheet is the most desired as the design fits the portrait format better and the quad is just a port of that design.

If you’re in a rush and don’t care what you pay, use a trusted dealer who has one in stock. If you’re not in a rush, set up a saved search on eBay or Emovieposter or Heritage and go for one in auction. Their sales history show that Emovieposter sell 3 or 4 of them a year, so one will come up soon enough.

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:13:23 AM »
Thanks. I've had a look on eMoviePoster and eBay and could see a number that sold on eMovie Poster and some on eBay for over $700, with import fees and delivery fees taking it will over $1000!

Not sure how to proceed really, as I want one but the delivery fees aren't far off the cost of the poster itself  :(

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »
Where about are you based in the UK?   I'm in the UK also, North east not far from Middlesbrough...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 07:49:26 PM »
I'm not far from London.

Have you managed to buy any official posters in the UK or is it mostly US? If US purchases how have you found it? Any tips? What sort of price has it cost to get the item to you?

Or do you sell any yourself?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 08:07:17 PM »
How is life over there?  I'd love to hear from someone else than the dire news.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 08:24:54 AM »
You can say that again about the news! We're still in lockdown but we've had snow today so indoors is probably the place to be  ;D

Where are you based?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 08:29:53 AM »
There's loads of places to buy UK posters here, lots of dealers online too, just type in Google what you're looking for and see what comes up. If you're not sure if they are trustworthy, pop here and ask..  Always glad to help.

It's not too bad over here, T. there's a lot of people not following the guidelines/rules.   The government have not got a clue, and basically giving free rain over the festive season was a huge mistake. People are just getting fed up of the constantly changing views of the government who are more bothered about the economy.

Not sure if it's just me, but... shut the country down for 4 weeks, and the virus will be gone..  4 weeks of chew, not 2 years...??

I've had to work right through being a Key worker, was hoping to sit at home on 80% pay... ;-)  No such luck.   We stick to keeping a distance, have sanitiser in the car, house, everywhere, plus wash hands more.  And face coverings if we go in a shop. Any mail we leave for at least 24 hours before opening, wash hands after..  easy enough to be sensible about this.

Anyway, we're off to the beach with the dog.. Life's so hard...  eyeroll   Good excuse not to finish the decorating of the bedrooms..

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 08:32:55 AM »
Did you have any you could recommend Paul?

I've looked online for UK dealers but other than eBay just found nothing really.

It isn't specifically the UK poster I am looking for, but just someone based in the UK that sells official authentic posters, even if they are the US version of the poster.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 01:04:36 PM »
This is Marks site, contact him and ask for what you want. He's a good fellow, tell him I sent you, he'll look after you.

https://www.vintagemovieposters.co.uk

This is another Mark, slightly more high end, but again very trusted guy..

https://www.picturepalacemovieposters.com

This believe it or not is Marc with a C.  Really nice guy, sure he's a member here..

https://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk

All worth a look, and drop them a line, no joy I'll send some others over..

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 03:42:14 PM »
Thanks Paul

I've dropped them a message, hopefully hear back soon.

Did you have any other places you could recommend in the meantime so that I can contact them as well?

Offline paul waines

• Curator

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 08:22:17 PM »
Cheers Paul

I'll drop them a message.

In the meantime if anyone does come across one or can point me in the right direction for one it would be much appreciated.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 05:10:28 AM »
Thanks for all those links Paul! I've bought from MEM which was great, but not the others. This might get costly!

The Picture Palace website was very entertaining by the way... :) https://www.picturepalacemovieposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 12:42:20 PM »
Mark is a very nice guy, as I say, mention my name and they will look after you..

Offline javi82fpf

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 06:49:45 AM »
I've bought from Simon before. Good guy.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 11:07:10 AM »
I just wish he would stop backing almost everything he gets..

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 07:36:13 PM »
Hi CinematicFanatic

I'm UK based in London, I've bought posters from US and other places but I have saved alot of money using import TARRIF 9705000085

I saved hundreds from just one poster, make sure you get the seller to add the code so customs people can see it clearly otherwise you will have to pay and claim it after which is a bit of a ball ache.

I always ask the seller to add it to top of my address so they can't miss it. I think it lowers it to something like 5% but you can check that.

Take screenshots of the purchase incase they ask, most of my stuff is 70s and earlier so not sure about Goodfellas.

I also used a similar code to import a 50 year old car from the US and it saved me thousands

Good luck

First of all, hello everyone!

This is my first post and I am just starting out in the hunt for some original, authentic posters so it will take a little while for me to get up to speed with everything I need to be looking out for.

Is anyone else here based in the UK?

I would like to eventually purchase the original, authentic Goodfellas poster, is this something that is possible in the UK?

From my brief time looking into this, all I have found is that 99% of Official Authentic posters are based in the US.

If anyone else here is based in the UK I would appreciate hearing how you purchase your posters?

Thanks

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 03:46:10 AM »
That's very helpful. Thank you!