Author Topic: For Sale : Apocalypse Now Japanese B0  (Read 4485 times)

Offline MintyWhite

• Beginner
For Sale : Apocalypse Now Japanese B0
« on: January 02, 2021, 07:46:54 AM »
Hi All,

Happy New Year!

I have decided to sell my Apocalypse Now "Charlie Don't Surf" Japanese B0, as per photos below. The poster has never been folded and has extremely minor border wear (see photos).

Emovieposter recently sold one of these for $2,965.00, so I'd like to get $3,200.00 which will include insured shipping.

Any questions, please ask. I am open to sensible offers!

(Please excuse the messy dining room, these photos were taken when we were clearing the xmas decs!)

Thanks
Clint

Offline redman

• Collector
Re: For Sale : Apocalypse Now Japanese B0
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 04:30:46 PM »
wow - my gif got deleted - under the flag of democracy ;D

the EMP price you go on about is 12 months ago - their highest by a MILE and since then we have had covid...
without any effort i can buy it for 2/3 less and so that means i can get it for half your price with a little time...
if you want to inflate prices go do it where i can't comment thumbup

i have got NOTHING against you btw, but you have very few posts and so could easily be a dealer...just saying

Offline MintyWhite

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 06:14:37 PM »
Your gif got deleted, rightly so; it was not constructive. Your second reply demonstrates very little of the spirit in which I expected from this community, thus I was not going to validate your comments with a response. But after consideration, I shall.

First, I do not “go on” about the EMP price. I recently asked the APF community how I might establish the value of one of my posters and was advised to look at EMP recent auctions. Which I have done, and valued in good faith when considering packing and insured international shipping etc. If this is too high, then I would expect advice, not derision.

Second, I don’t see how having few posts makes me a dealer?! In real life (you know real life?) I have a job/family, oh and I’m well aware of covid. So, I don’t spend every spare minute on this forum. I have no intention of dealing in movie posters.

Finally, I have NOTHING against you but do us all a favour and don’t waste your time in responding. I certainly don’t want to waste my time having to read what other sarcastic comments you might have to make.

If anyone else has constructive advice, please comment. I am keen to improve my knowledge and would like to be a positive contributor to this community (it seems to be lacking in some areas).

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 10:01:16 PM »
So much anger in this short thread.

This is a great poster.  I'd love to own one some day.  But I cannot afford this price.  Good luck!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 02:44:34 AM »
CJ, is that you?  If so, I hope you and your family are well!

So, I saw your report as "not constructive".  His information wasn't not constructive.  But, it was abrasively delivered, which caused it to be dismissed.

While you are certainly free to ask whatever you want for that B0, you are highly unlikely to get what you are asking for.  Here is why:

1.  You can check HA and emovieposter.com (the most easily searchable public auction sites) and find that the most it has EVER sold for is $2965.  That is 32% higher than the next highest it has ever sold for($2242 at HA).

2.  If you look at ALL of the sales in the last 10 years, you will find an AVERAGE sale price for a VF/NM copy of that poster of $1372.  If only posters were something that always climbed and every purchase price was a new floor, then none of us would need to work.  But, I am sure you know that they are not.

3.  Your poster is very close to VF/NM as the others above were that got those prices, but maybe SLIGHTLY lesser because of the edge ding in the second to last photo.  But, that is not having reviewed all of the hi-res photos from those that sold.  It's honestly very close.

4.  This is a poster that shows up relatively often, so folks can wait on a copy at a better price.  Sometimes "auction fever" causes a copy to go way higher than it would otherwise.  And, certainly way higher than it would in a private sale.  Auction fever was likely the cause of that near $3k sale.  In short, until there are more public sales at that price, it is an outlier.

5. You are not a poster dealer or an auction house, but a private seller, and one without any cred.  That, alone, is generally enough to decrease the "top get" of a piece by 20-30%.

I have a copy hanging on my wall 10 feet behind me right now.  Its condition is VF/NM.  It has a small corner ding, but no damage anywhere else.  If I was going to offer it for sale privately today (which to be clear I am not doing), I'd ask for $1500 and expect to probably settle at $1300 shipped.  If I wanted to roll the dice on a $3000 pricetag, I'd use emoviepister.com or ha.com to sell it with the full understanding that I would be gambling on an $1100 sale and then have to pay the auction fees.  I hope this helps, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  Take care!

Schan

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 07:32:12 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 05:06:03 AM »
Such a helpful and well-considered post Schan.

Mark

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »
^yes, sorry to mess up a thread
it's rude to derail a sales thread, i admit that
but in my defence, to be greeted by happy year wishes and then asked to pay a world record price for a poster...
next time i will copy and paste Schan's post thumbup

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
I personally believe there is nothing wrong about calling out the price of a poster if the said price is wrong.  I would hate nothing more than to see someone overpaying for a poster based on information given on a forum I co-run.  Some idiot once called me "Poster police" and I loved it.  Carry on.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 10:29:26 AM »
Nice post, Schan. Hard to disagree with a word of that.

Lovely poster MintyWhite, good luck with the sale.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:30:30 AM by Tob »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 10:25:37 AM »
Indeed, a cracking post!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 03:49:16 AM »