Author Topic: Upgrades??  (Read 10785 times)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Upgrades??
« on: December 12, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »
I am swapping the Epson faux 4k for a JVC 4k next week, I think I am about to have a power supply failure #2 in the 5040, had a couple of episodes of having to power cycle the projector to get it on.

I really am like the Sanford and Son/Hillbilly theater, but going to hang the triple black velvet stuff on the ceiling in the theater half which is currently a 7' high white ugly light reflector. Hoping to gain major contrast for the effort. I know my wife is in this house for the long haul so have to make do with the limitations at hand!

Anyone else swapping out pieces? Sounds like HDMI 2.1 is a bit of a fuster cluck right now.

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Upgrades??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
I just bought a new LG OLED55CXPUA. It doesn't suck.

Some of the streaming services like Netflix, Disney, HBOMax and Apple have 4K streams with Dolby Atmos. I still don't have an Atmos setup, but there might be enough content to consider it now. The 4K sure looks pretty when available. LG doesn't have an HBOMax app or Criterion app yet. Hopefully, they will figure that out soon.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »
First 36"x48" ceiling panel made today. Not a project to do with your spouse  :)

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
How far along are the panels? Notice any difference for your efforts?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 07:41:21 PM »
I "upgraded" my projector to a 5050UB a little over a year ago.  I put upgrade in quotes because for all but 4k, I am not sure it is a picture upgrade over the LG I had.  That said, I also do not think it is worse with HD/SD sources either.  It definitely has some more gucci features and automates the setup and dial in process much better.  And the black levels are better; although, I am not sure how much of that was that the other one was just getting old (it was on its 3rd bulb or about 10k hours).

I also upgraded the amp on the SVS PB-13 ultra when the original one started failing.  It had a light clicking at about twice per second that continued even with the source disconnected.  I called tham and they said it was out of warranty (and they no longer make that sub), but they would send me the newest amp upgrade for the low low price of shipping only. 
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 11:02:07 AM »
Panels are not up yet. I am REALLY thinking about getting a new screen and getting rid of the Da-lite PVC special which would mean I would have to move them all if I put them up now. Only want to do this once. So just keeping building one every few days. Will take 10 in total.

Screen - One of these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eytRONoKnrI) , retractable with masking, 2:35 to mask to 16:9. I room just will not work with a fixed screen.

New issue, swapped PS4 for PS5, not getting 4K to the projector.  With the Bluray player I can force a 4K signal, PS5 is giving display device not capable. So.. this can be a bit of a PITA to see which piece is causing the issues. I am running an AV7003 but that should do pass through on the 4K signal. New HDMI cables land today, so will be doing a direct run to the projector to see if that works, then will try again going through the Marantz to see if I can get 4k that way with the new cable.  So new processor might be on the horizon, which I didnt really want to do until hdmi 2.1 has fully shaken out.  The Monoprice HTP-1 is getting rave reviews and Anthem finally has a new processor coming out, but again, wasnt looking to spend that. Normally the Marantz I have run for years end up being about a net 750.00 upgrade after the sale of the old one. No projectors that I am aware of are supporting the band width for HDMI 2.1 anyway, there are some LCD's but 2.1 seems like a mess.  Both those processors can be board swapped supposedly to upgrade.

I will say the JVC picture is unbelievable. Its not as bright as the Epson was, but the blacks and sharpness are unbelievably better.  I should be good on the display device until 8K becomes standard, and I am on the side that believes we will never see 8K media. Maybe broadcast/streaming at some point, but the bandwidth that will take will also make even that unlikely to become a standard display format.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 08:56:08 PM »
New HDMI run fixed the lack of 4K from PS5 to projector, so that saves the processor swap for now at least. Now recognizing 4K and HDR10.  Always kind of thought HDMI cable bandwidth was sales pitch. The old 50' run was about as thick as my index finger. New one is a fiber optic cable only bad side is it seems they can be a bit fragile. Still need to pull the 50' run over the ceiling and such.

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 01:02:28 PM »
That's a break, although 50' is a pretty long run to begin with. I'm glad you were able to sort it out.