Author Topic: Best purchases of 2020  (Read 11068 times)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: Best purchases of 2020
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2020, 01:11:23 AM »
I agree that Viy is rather dated, but I was still glad to finally see it after hearing about it for so many years.  It's definitely more of a historical curiosity than a particularly good movie.  I also felt that the characters were a bit too broadly painted for my taste.  The last scene showing the appearance of the titular demon and his minions on the 3rd night was the most memorable thing about this film.  Since so much of the iconography of horror in films has been dominated by Western imagery, it's refreshing to see a rare example stemming from a different culture, especially from an earlier era like this one. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »
I'll be #4, T.  It's Christmas time and I was missing you guys! Back in August good ole Chris wrote to me about some goodies that had shown up on eBay. Could it be real, I thought? Oh boy, you better believe it was! One piece was another top sheet to the Son of Dracula three sheet and I quickly bought it. I looked through the seller's other offerings and holy Chaney Jr. double-chin there it was: most of the Son of Dracula six sheet with all the best parts. Just needs the bottom credits with supporting cast. I haven't put it on linen so far just in case the credits show up. I don't believe another six sheet is known to exist at this time. Here it is guys covering most of our king size bed. Okie

Nice posters Okie  8)  Definitely went to the right place!
Chris

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 11:09:29 AM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:17:54 AM by Tob »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »
sorry guys, just as useless with the internet as always. How do I post images again? From flickr for example?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:14:04 AM by Mondo Hazardo »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 11:20:50 AM »
sorry guys, just as useless with the internet as always. How do I post images again? From flickr for example?

Hey there Wim, I've updated your post to fix the links.

You were almost there - for Flickr, if you look in the bottom right of the screen when looking at an image, you'll see a little arrow icon (to share). If you click that, then click BB Code, you can copy and paste that URL directly into a post here to share it.

Lovely posters! I particularly like La Piscine and Asphalt Jungle.

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 11:28:43 AM »
Thanks Tob!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 11:52:36 AM »
Mama Mia!!!  Asphalt Jungle, Les Bas-Fonds and the Martinati are great!

Respect!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 12:25:26 PM »
Love that Davis poster! Congrats, what a great line up bed1 bed1 bed1

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »
Dr Socrates and Special Agent are incredible, great pick ups!  I love Bas-Fonds too.  Congrats!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 07:49:16 AM »
Tx all for the nice comments. Those thirties Martinati's are hard to find. He's the best portraying Bette Davis I think. Still what madness it is to think that if this was Scarface in stead of Doctor Socrates or Dark Victory in stead of Secret Agent those posters would be unaffordable (to me in any case).

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2021, 08:20:28 PM »
I was holding off until I received my last piece in the mail today (Thanks USPS! Only took 45 days to get to LA from Pennsylvania  :-\)

Only 4 pieces of paper in 2020, but being able to keep building my Dietrich/von Sternberg and Davis collection made me pretty happy!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »
Wim: Glad to see your post and posters!  Maybe we'll see you again late this year on your Gulf of Mexico vacation?!  Dang, I agree with everyone: you sure cleaned up on some rare posters and a couple of big beauties. I enjoyed your virtual Peeping Tom exhibit.  It must be really cool to look through the window on your street.

Starling: Davis, Davis, Dietrich, and Dietrich!  What an amazing poster law firm you have!  Very nice posters after the 45 day wait. I bought a couple of books from Bud Plant in California and it took over 60 days to reach Mississippi. Still waiting on a package from Kansas over 60 days, too.  I'm glad your posters made it!

Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2021, 09:37:26 PM »
I know the feeling.  I live in LA too, and I've been waiting for a dozen posters from France since October hahaha!!!  There are more important things to worry about, so I don't, but it would be nice to get them.  Maybe one day... 

Nice posters, Starling.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 05:04:46 AM »

Starling: might only be four but a fantastic four, you might say. I don't think Dietrich ever looked better than in the paper from "Devil Is A Woman" and Bette Davis seemed to bring out the best in a lot of poster artists in those days. Envious of all of them!

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2021, 07:56:49 AM »
Starling, it may "only" be 4 posters for the year but what a 4!!

Love that "Letter" :)

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 09:08:48 AM »
Wim: Glad to see your post and posters!  Maybe we'll see you again late this year on your Gulf of Mexico vacation?!  Dang, I agree with everyone: you sure cleaned up on some rare posters and a couple of big beauties. I enjoyed your virtual Peeping Tom exhibit.  It must be really cool to look through the window on your street.

Starling: Davis, Davis, Dietrich, and Dietrich!  What an amazing poster law firm you have!  Very nice posters after the 45 day wait. I bought a couple of books from Bud Plant in California and it took over 60 days to reach Mississippi. Still waiting on a package from Kansas over 60 days, too.  I'm glad your posters made it!

Okie

Ha Okie, the Gulf Of Mexico, that would be something! First you need your country COVID-free and live music-rich though. Tx for the comments! Yeah the COVID-free outside-in exhibit is a bit of a gimmick, but fun to do. i could also help a friend out. A lot of my friends work in the events/music/theatre scene and it's very hard for them at the moment. I feel a bit awkward sometimes that i still spend money on posters with others seeing the bottom of their savings. Happy I am still able to of course.

Starling, Great Davis and Dietrich indeed! Please tell me you are going to have that Devil is A Woman restored.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:02 PM »
Thanks all! Really love showing my paper to you :)

Hicks77: Me too! And she's in good company...

Mondo Hazardo: Yes, that is definitely needed. The back of the poster looks really bad. I'm on the fence whether I want to replace the upper blank segment, but it needs a good bath and paperbacking for sure.

Martinc: She does look incredible...a true man eater. Also love the Venus de Milo motif of Blonde Venus paper (need to track that insert down someday...putting that out into the universe!)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 11:59:30 PM »
Some amazing paper here...my heart is with the oldies.

One of my favourites for last year, been on my want list a long time

Ves

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 10:56:49 AM »
Great "Of Human Bondage" poster!  I always love the distinctive painterly style adopted for so many RKO titles...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 12:57:04 PM »
I didn't get many last year, but here's a couple that came my way...

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2021, 08:25:41 PM »
I didn't get many last year, but here's a couple that came my way...

Crazy!  I also got a Tarzan Triumphs this year.  Yours has got a bit more color... ;)

Mine's a rare French Canadian one sheet (I've got 2 of 'em, actually...)

and Bogie!

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2021, 02:48:34 PM »
Some amazing paper here...my heart is with the oldies.

One of my favourites for last year, been on my want list a long time

Gorgeous poster! And in wonderful condition :)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2021, 11:34:57 PM »
I just posted on my thread and snuck over here to see if anyone had added to this thread. YOWZA! Look at all of those beauties!

Antoine1973: I am glad you liked VIY. Ultimately, I did too.

Wim: Golly---I LOVE your ASPHALT JUNGLE, SPECIAL AGENT, DR SOCRATES, and RED SHOES.

Starling: Oh my stars! You have some very lovely things as well. THE LETTER and THE DEVIL IS A WOMAN are my faves from your batch, but all are lovely.

Ves: OF HUMAN BONDAGE....GORGEOUS!!!

Paul: Hubba hubba hubba! LOVE the TARZAN and double feature with the Bardot film. I'm also wild about the CAT PEOPLE. Wow!

Crazy Vick: TARZAN is always a winner with me and I've already said how much I like your Bogart piece.

Great stuff, people!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »
That Of Human Bondage is really nice. Looks like we all share a thing for Davis!
@Paul: That Cat People looks really glossy, what is the release date of that?

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2021, 06:57:06 PM »