Author Topic: Moving posters question?  (Read 4203 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Moving posters question?
« on: October 28, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »
Hey guys,
Need some advice on moving posters. I know how to move the rolled ones and folded ones.but need advice on these ones here:
I have larger French sheets currently stored flat but folded in half once... how should I move these ones? Do I attempt to refold them? Do I attempt to roll them? What would you suggest?
Thanks...

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
Re: Moving posters question?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 05:58:01 PM »
You could transport them flat as-is sandwiched between two pieces of foamboard.

Whether that is practical will depend on how many you have, how far you’re moving, and whether you’re moving them yourself or hiring movers to actually manage the transportation.

It’s what I did with my large flat pieces during my last move. But I was doing the moving myself, and to a different house in the same neighborhood. So it was manageable.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 05:59:40 PM »
It’s too many to sandwich. Unless I sandwich them between plexi and have a bolt and nut going throw it tightly.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 06:25:59 PM »
I think some people here have shown their displeasure of rollded posters (rolled and folded). Doubt you can transport them flat as is, rolling may damage them. I'd say fold them up as lightly as you can then reflatten them into unfolded posters

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
If they have been flat a long time, I would not refold them and rolling them is not good either, as it will cause a bunch of creases on that fold, unless you lay them back out and roll them to create basically 47" roll.. It depends entirely on how big the pile is and how far you are moving and if they are completely flat already.

If they are entirely flat and you do not have a huge pile but have a good distance to move, I would get a canon tube or pvc, lay they out and roll a few together, put in the tube, expand the roll to the edges and repeat. This is how I store my rolled grande's and you can get a crap load in a tube. The key is you cannot have any end to end play or the edges will crush, and I mean zero. So if the tube is 3" to long, cut a piece of cardboard to size, put that on the end of the posters, then pack the end of the tube so there is no play. The craft paper stuff like Bruce does works, but the key to that is limiting the number of posters between each piece of craft and layering the craft.  Still not a fan of this as you can still get crushed edges if the density of the craft is not enough. See this often in people trying to ship prints. Plus is adds a ton of weight to the tube.

If not entirely flat yet, give the refold a try.

If moving a short distance, open the trunk, make a pile, drive slow :)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 06:53:37 PM »
If they have been flat a long time, I would not refold them and rolling them is not good either, as it will cause a bunch of creases on that fold, unless you lay them back out and roll them to create basically 47" roll.. It depends entirely on how big the pile is and how far you are moving and if they are completely flat already.

If they are entirely flat and you do not have a huge pile but have a good distance to move, I would get a canon tube or pvc, lay they out and roll a few together, put in the tube, expand the roll to the edges and repeat. This is how I store my rolled grande's and you can get a crap load in a tube. The key is you cannot have any end to end play or the edges will crush, and I mean zero. So if the tube is 3" to long, cut a piece of cardboard to size, put that on the end of the posters, then pack the end of the tube so there is no play. The craft paper stuff like Bruce does works, but the key to that is limiting the number of posters between each piece of craft and layering the craft.  Still not a fan of this as you can still get crushed edges if the density of the craft is not enough. See this often in people trying to ship prints. Plus is adds a ton of weight to the tube.

If not entirely flat yet, give the refold a try.

If moving a short distance, open the trunk, make a pile, drive slow :)

I think opening the trunk and driving slow is the way to go. It shouldn’t be a long trip. Hopefully less than 20 minutes away