Author Topic: Help with 4k blu Ray player and receiver  (Read 4759 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Help with 4k blu Ray player and receiver
« on: October 12, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »
Hey guys,
So lets say I have a 4k tv and 4k blu ray player. But I have an older receiver that doesn’t support 4k or 7.1/7.2.
I have a Denon 590 receiver. For the time being can I somehow hook up just the audio to the receiver? Or do I need to get a whole new audio home theatre system too now?

Thanks for any suggestions and help

Offline Steven11788

• Beginner
Re: Help with 4k blu Ray player and receiver
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
If I am not mistaken it should still work, just a down downscale  and not get full resolution. have you tried.  Its can be frustrating. My tv and player has dolby vision but my receiver doesn't. So I have do player to  tv, then player to receiver to decode the sound. I will say 4k systems are somewhat cheap now. I mean you can use same speakers

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 08:27:40 PM »
Video:
Your receiver wont support 4K video (only supports HDMI version 1.3a) so you'll need to connect the video from the bluray direct to the tv to view at full 4K.
If you do instead try to connect the video via bluray -> receiver -> TV,  I am not sure if it will work, but best case it will only show at the old lower resolution standard of 2K, worst case not see anything or the picture colours are wrong.

Audio:
You can still use connect the bluray audio direct to the receiver and as Steven says the 7.1 / 7.2 will be automatically down-scaled to what you are used to hearing.

So to get the best effect as I describe above, that means you'll need to fiddle around with inputs:
- selecting the audio source on receiver as the bluray player
- and selecting the video source on tv being the bluray player.
That might get annoying over time until you upgrade the receiver to handle 4K video (minimum version HDMI 1.4 I believe) and cable both audio and video cables through it

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 06:08:17 AM »
Thanks for the input. I think I might just upgrade the set.

Offline Steven11788

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »
I did and I wont again lol. I doubt 8k will really ever catch on. atmos is nice but super not needed. but 4k is IMO the final frontier

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 02:39:53 PM »
Last week i watched 2001: A Space Odyssey on mini ipad

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »
Ya, I’m not gonna get 8k for a long While. I’m sticking with the 4k for now. I had a 1080p plasma ( which still works) at the time where the picture looked a lot better than the 4k cheap tv I had. So I’m going to upgrade the 4k tv to a better one and get a new speaker system then. I’ll use the old receiver and speakers somewhere else.