Author Topic: Hi from France  (Read 3055 times)

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
Hi from France
« on: March 05, 2021, 08:23:18 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a French collector (so, sorry for my English made in 'Google translation').

I mostly collect US and UK posters from the 50s/60s for horror/sf movies (posters from previous decades are a bit off my budget), as well as Hammer movie posters. And this, since the end of the 90s (and a long break).

However, considering that I have seen a lot of these movies now, I have recently taken an interest in 40s/50s 'films noirs' to improve my movies culture. And so, I'm starting to get interested in the posters of these movies and hope to acquire some nice pieces in the next few years.

I don't have only American and British posters, but also a few French and German posters for their visuals, or even Belgian, Japanese, Italian, Spanish posters (but very very few)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Hi from France
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 11:31:48 AM »
Bonjour, Anthony! Welcome to the forum!

Some lovely posters in that era/genre, I hope to see some of you posters if you decide to share in the future.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 03:00:39 PM »
Sounds amazing Anthony and welcome!!!  Would love to see some of your most cherished pieces.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:46:16 PM »
Salut Anthony, it sounds like you and I have similar collecting interest (1950s/1960s sci-fi & horror, Hammer, film noir), so I second the two Ts before me in inviting you to share some of your favorite posters in your collection. 

En plus, je suis aussi francais (comme Thierry d'ailleurs), donc pas de problème de communication!  N'hésite donc pas a nous montrer tes affiches préférées...

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 08:06:38 AM »
Thank you

I'll try to show some of my posters that I really like, and the posters I have on the walls right now.

I unfortunately don't have the budget to buy 'big pieces (the large French posters of 'Forbidden Planet' or Gilda in double Panel, the US One sheet of This Gun For Hire or many Quads of Hammer, will remain in my dreams) and I am far from the 14000 posters ;-)

Anyway I don't have enough space to display everything on my walls and I'm not a fan of folded posters I can't show (and that's the problem with large French posters).

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »
Oops, I did not realize I still had a number in my signature, so I removed it entirely.  It doesn't matter how many posters you have in your collection as long as you're happy with the ones you have.  We all started with the one.  I don't display my posters much, I'm not interested in selling, but I do like to collect, so the numbers go up :)

Where are you in France?  Antoine and I are both expatriates, he on the East coast, me on the West.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 12:41:28 PM »
I’m from 'Ile de France' east cost ;- )
A medium city in the ‘93’, near the '77' frontier

Did you get expatriated for work?

It's certainly easier to buy posters in the US ...
In France, it's always misery when I buy from US because of customs fees. And unfortunately I buy 90% in the US and UK ...

In addition, my last purchase from eMovie was catastrophic (not because of eMovie but because of transport). Tube lost for 6 months then delivered completely destroyed ... And forced to pay customs fees 20%. (Fortunately, eMovie had a refund for the purchase, not the fees)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 04:22:39 PM »
I grew up in the 16 in Paris and ran away as soon as I possibly could.  Went to school in LA and never looked back.  Parisian life is not for me.  I’m a beach bum.  I need sun at all times.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 09:13:09 PM »
What happened to your package from eMovie is terrible, I'm sorry to hear this.  I hear you about the difficulty of buying US and UK posters from France.  I have the reverse problem: buying European posters from the US can sometimes be a bit frustrating (I remember a quad for Hammer's Evil of Frankenstein took forever to clear customs once!).  I mostly collect US paper, but I also collect quite a bit of French, Italian and British posters as well.

I'm also from Paris, grew up in the 6th arrondissement before moving to NYC to study there when I was 21 in 1994.  I have been living there ever since.  I can't say that I miss my Parisian life much either, but I do miss my family and friends that are still living there (especially this past year since international travel has been so disrupted by the pandemic). 

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 06:40:14 PM »
AnthonyFR!  welcome1 Welcome! Welcome! WELCOME!!! Have you posted any of your stuff yet? It sounds delightful and I will be keeping an eye out for it. Glad you joined the forum. You sound as if you will make an excellent addition.  CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!