Author Topic: Hello from Germany  (Read 5714 times)

Offline filmfreak08

• Beginner
    • movieposters.de
Hello from Germany
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
Hello everyone,
my name is Uwe, I'm from Germany and I recently joined the forum.
I have been collecting theatrical movie posters and lobby cards since the early 1990s. My focus is mostly material from Germany, the UK and the US. At the beginning I only collected posters for contemporary movies I liked and later started to get interested in the classics (Hitchcock, Saul Bass, etc.).
Just recently I discovered Eddie Shannon's beautiful Film on Paper website and this inspired me to start looking at all the posters I own...  and I have no clue how many I have. I stopped cataloguing via Excel in the early 2000s. Believe it or not, I worked for Disney's marketing department in Germany from 2004-2018 where I could secure quite a nice number of posters for all titles we released during that time. And when we had to clear the archives, I picked up some nice stuff as well... ;D 
Anyway, the way Eddie displays his collection is something I'm aspiring to now as well... I'm looking forward to joining the discussion and any advice / tips. I'm also hoping to find a good European linenbacking expert (so far I only know L'incartade in Lille, France), as I've got quite a few posters that need backing and/or restoration.

Cheers,
Uwe

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Hello from Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »
Welcome!  I agree, Eddies site is probably one of the best poster sites out there, if not the best.  He’s certainly put a lot of work into it.

Your collection sounds awesome.  Share some of your best pieces if you have a chance.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline filmfreak08

• Beginner
    • movieposters.de
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »
Welcome!  I agree, Eddies site is probably one of the best poster sites out there, if not the best.  He’s certainly put a lot of work into it.

Your collection sounds awesome.  Share some of your best pieces if you have a chance.

T

Thank you!
I just looked at your site, very beautiful as well, you own over 15000 movie posters? WOW, just WOW!!! I'm a massive Hitchcock fan, and I see that you own 1-sheets of VERTIGO, REAR WINDOW and DIAL M FOR MURDER.. and my holy grail: Lawrence of Arabia (Roadshow Style A).
I'm still speechless...
I will share some of my pieces as soon as I have better photos than the ones I currently have. I'm also exploring how to best showcase my collection on my website using Wordpress...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 01:31:38 PM »
Welcome Uwe. I'm also a huge fan of Eddie's Film on Paper site - I recall him saying he invested an enormous amount of time in setting it up, particularly with regards to the photographs. His effort paid off.

I live in the UK and my very occasional linen-backing is done in the US/Canada as the options in Europe are very limited.

Look forward to seeing a few of your posters.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 03:39:56 PM »
Hitchcock is fun to collect.  My biggest problem, and the reason why I don’t own so many of his posters, is that I want my posters folded and in great condition.  Most are linenbacked, which I hate.  I was lucky to find vertigo, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt and Dial M all folded, but a lot more titles are eluding me.  I have to be patient.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline filmfreak08

• Beginner
    • movieposters.de
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 04:41:04 PM »
Hitchcock is fun to collect.  My biggest problem, and the reason why I don’t own so many of his posters, is that I want my posters folded and in great condition.  Most are linenbacked, which I hate.  I was lucky to find vertigo, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt and Dial M all folded, but a lot more titles are eluding me.  I have to be patient.

T

I own many German Hitchcock posters, most of them folded (but I store them laying flat), but the condition of this first release "The Man Who Knew Too Much" poster is not too good and I'd love to get this linenbacked and restored...

Offline filmfreak08

• Beginner
    • movieposters.de
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »
Welcome Uwe. I'm also a huge fan of Eddie's Film on Paper site - I recall him saying he invested an enormous amount of time in setting it up, particularly with regards to the photographs. His effort paid off.

I live in the UK and my very occasional linen-backing is done in the US/Canada as the options in Europe are very limited.

Look forward to seeing a few of your posters.

Mark
Thank you Mark!
I'm very hesitant to send some of my most beloved posters overseas... oh well, maybe I need to try it. I know Dario Casadei is supposed to perform great work...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 05:08:37 PM »
Hi Uwe! Welcome to the forum! That poster for 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' is super! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your collection and your collection website when you finish it.

I love Film on Paper, a very nice site. I know Eddie was working through replacing all the photos with high res versions, hopefully he'll start posting some new one blog entries soon as I bet he has some gems since his last update.

Also, I like your avatar. Jae Lee Dark Tower?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »

I own many German Hitchcock posters, most of them folded (but I store them laying flat), but the condition of this first release "The Man Who Knew Too Much" poster is not too good and I'd love to get this linenbacked and restored...

I don't own a lot of German posters, but the few that I have are stacked up in a drawer on top of each other.  Personally, I wouldn't touch the poster above, but collectors are all different.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline filmfreak08

• Beginner
    • movieposters.de
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 05:34:46 PM »
Hi Uwe! Welcome to the forum! That poster for 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' is super! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your collection and your collection website when you finish it.

I love Film on Paper, a very nice site. I know Eddie was working through replacing all the photos with high res versions, hopefully he'll start posting some new one blog entries soon as I bet he has some gems since his last update.

Also, I like your avatar. Jae Lee Dark Tower?

Thank you! My website will take a while, since I need to do proper photos first... I'm not a perfectionist like Eddie, but at least I'd like them without reflections and deformations...
And glad to see a fellow Dark Tower fan here ;)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
Welcome, Uwe!  Great shot over the bow with your beautiful German The Man Who Knew Too Much!  I agree with T: I would not linen back it.  I recommend framing just the way it is.  Looking forward to seeing more of your collection as your first poster is very nice!  Okie

Offline filmfreak08

• Beginner
    • movieposters.de
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 01:06:01 PM »
Welcome, Uwe!  Great shot over the bow with your beautiful German The Man Who Knew Too Much!  I agree with T: I would not linen back it.  I recommend framing just the way it is.  Looking forward to seeing more of your collection as your first poster is very nice!  Okie
Thank you, Okie,
I started photographing the first batch of my collection today: only folded German A1 and A0 posters... I‘m especially proud of this one, a gorgeous sqare A0 first release poster for „The King and I“
Coming up next: folded US One Sheets and all my stored-flat A1 posters...

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 02:30:58 PM »
Hi Uwe!

Welcome aboard. I think I saw another of your posts elsewhere, as the photo of you photographing that KING & I poster is familiar. I believe you will like it here and we all look forward to seeing your stuff. Thanks for posting a link to Eddie Shannon's site. It had been a long while since I'd last visited it and it was good to go back. Thierry's (T/eatbrie) site is also amazing, as you've seen.

CHEERS and welcome!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!