Author Topic: Clockwork orange poster  (Read 5205 times)

Offline callytastic

• Beginner
Clockwork orange poster
« on: September 20, 2020, 06:45:51 PM »
Hi everyone, first of all thanks for accepting me. I’m looking to find out about my clockwork orange poster and Heat poster. Both came from a guy who worked for many years in the cinema. My clockwork orange poster is 1000mm wide and 700mm tall and is in excellent condition with no nicks, rips or tears etc. I believe it was rolled not folded although I know most posters of this type would of been sent out to the cinemas folded. Also the poster does have the starting of the yellowing process I believe for the acid in the paper I think, but I may be wrong about that. The Heat poster I would love to find out if it really is from cinema or just a shop bought poster. It has same font as cinema posters but I just can’t see one exactly like it anywhere. It is 58mm wise and is 830mm tall but I think it may of been cut to fit into frame maybe, as all the edges just look like they have been cut, the paper is very thick too. Any help, advice and values would be massively appreciated. Thanks everyone, kind regards, John
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:47:53 PM by callytastic »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Clockwork orange poster
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 07:44:54 PM »
Your clockwork should be 76x102cm.  If it is not, it was either cut or it is a reprint.  The fact that it is rolled is not a good sign.

Your Heat poster should be 69x102cm.  Same comments as above, except for the fact that it must be rolled.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline callytastic

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 02:15:40 AM »
Thank you for your response, that’s not good then, I will leave up and try to get mire pictures on but the measurements are definitely 1000mm wide by 700mm high give or take a couple of millimetres. I think that the heat one is definitely chopped judging by the uneven edges. Thanks again for any more information, kind regards, John
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 02:19:27 AM by callytastic »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 06:22:37 PM »
Here's an authentic, albeit linenbacked, so you can compare.

Size is everything and the best way to know.  It has to be 30x40 inches.  Anything smaller than that and it has been cut.

The Heat poster has to be 27x40.25 inches.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline callytastic

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 06:40:01 PM »
Hi, thank you for your response. It is definitely chopped, the top has been chopped 2 and a half inches, so is 27 and a half inches tall and the right hand side has had half an inch off and is 39 and a half inches wide. It looks like the guy I got it from has chopped it to fit into the glass frame. I know that massively changes value, but it does still have a value right ??. I am sorry I can’t put any better pictures up, I struggle uploading pictures at the right size. Thanks every one.

Offline callytastic

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 06:46:44 PM »
Sorry, the Heat poster has definitely been chopped as you can see clearly all the way round, again probably to fit in the frame, It is thick poster paper and has the same font as the cinema posters I have seen of heat. The guy worked in a cinema in Manchester uk for 30 years so I am sure they are from the cinema, he told me they were and he said he has loads of stuff for me when he has a sort out so I will post up some more stuff when I get it if that’s ok. Thanks again everyone

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »
Well, the Heat poster is not worth much to begin with, so if it is undersized, I'd say get another one.

The Clockwork Orange will retain some value, since the main art hasn't been touched.  Some collectors won't touch it, but others who can't afford the 30x40 original might be interested if only to own the design. 

I really don't know the value of posters, since I'm not a seller and just collect to own.  Others might chime in.  I'm still concerned about the fact that it is rolled, but if it is authentic, it might be worst $200-300.  Again, pricing is not my thing.

T
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 06:50:32 AM »
...I'm still concerned about the fact that it is rolled...
T
I have a couple of rolled CO quads so that doesn't bother me. The seller's back story is he worked in a cinema for 30 years with the implication that the posters came from there  - so that conveniently takes care of the 24 year time span between the two posters. But trimming original posters to reprint size so the posters fit "frames" seems a little implausible to me.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 01:00:36 PM »
On Warners CO posters there's a printing flaw, on the bottom of the C, there's some bubbles in the print, they all have it. As for Backed ones, these may have been painted in, so a Backed poster is not a good indicator. We know there's full size repro quads of this title, which didn't copy the flaw,  so do check for the Bubbles...

I'll see if I still have the photos I took of this..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:03:28 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »

If your poster is second printing, with the Warners logo, it must have these bubbles to be correct, the Kinney shield first printing doesn't have them.
It's more than a Hobby...