Author Topic: The Bruce and EMP semi-retirement?  (Read 15301 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: The Bruce and EMP semi-retirement?
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
this is actually, incorrect Vick. As a dealer doing auctions, I had plenty of people who only collected posters at $1-2-3-4-5.

of course, the bulk lots will now have the $20 posters in addition to the  1-2-3-4-5 $ posters

by the way, I had a buyer with a username 12345 and he rarely bought a poster over $5. A funny week in my old auctions, was when his bill for the week came out to $123.45, which nobody could have planned

Last time I bought several from an auction I perked up when the total came up to 53l8008 

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »
Definitely a long time coming. I am going to enjoy having less total auctions to track, but will also miss being able to use the "Pay and Hold" option to pick up a couple cheapies over a few weeks.
- Eric

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 03:13:51 PM »
Something I also hope Bruce will consider is to stop auctioning Good or even Good to Very Good condition modern posters (post 1985).  There is no reason for any of these posters to not be in mint condition.

T

I agree for the most part. Many moderns are obtainable in very good or better condition for peanuts, but I think that there is still money to be made on lesser examples of some paper even into the 90s. Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Fight Club (soap teasers), Eyes Wide Shut (International teasers, I would like these in any condition), Army of Darkness, Fargo, Rocketeer, and Tombstone are a few from the 90s that I think people are willing to tolerate a lesser example at a still profitable price.
- Eric

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »
Last time I bought several from an auction I perked up when the total came up to 53l8008
To be clear the number viewed upside down = BOOBIES

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 08:42:03 PM »
I agree for the most part. Many moderns are obtainable in very good or better condition for peanuts, but I think that there is still money to be made on lesser examples of some paper even into the 90s. Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Fight Club (soap teasers), Eyes Wide Shut (International teasers, I would like these in any condition), Army of Darkness, Fargo, Rocketeer, and Tombstone are a few from the 90s that I think people are willing to tolerate a lesser example at a still profitable price.

Of course there is money to be made.  There is always money to be made.  But what's the point?  All of these posters you mentioned can be had in mint condition.  Why sell them for anything lesser than that?  Stick to the cream of the crop and be known for that.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2019, 05:41:20 AM »
...All of these posters you mentioned can be had in mint condition...
T

With one exception - Eyes Wide Shut - which does not belong in that list. Even the Kubrick Archive's set, on display in London in their travelling exhibition earlier in the year, is "very good" condition at best.

Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2019, 06:05:39 AM »
With one exception - Eyes Wide Shut - which does not belong in that list. Even the Kubrick Archive's set, on display in London in their travelling exhibition earlier in the year, is "very good" condition at best.

Mark

When I saw those posters in that (wonderful) exhibition, it made me think of you! I remember the discussion on here when you acquired them. You definitely grabbed a bargain.

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2019, 11:45:01 PM »
Of course there is money to be made.  There is always money to be made.  But what's the point?  All of these posters you mentioned can be had in mint condition.  Why sell them for anything lesser than that?  Stick to the cream of the crop and be known for that.

T

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that if there are mint examples in existence, then all others have no place in the hobby?

Sure there are mint examples of Resurvoir Dogs, but they my be out of some collectors price range. I think there is a place for some more contemporary paper with history other than a tube or file cabinet.
- Eric

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »
It’s all personal of course, but I cannot tell you the amount of posters I dispose of because they’re not in mint condition.  Less so now than in the past, because I pretty much buy my modern posters from the same trusted sources.  But yeah, if it exists mint, I want it mind, meaning new.  No defect whatsoever.  99% of my modem posters are perfect.  But like I said, it’s personal.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2019, 10:26:16 PM »
It’s all personal of course, but I cannot tell you the amount of posters I dispose of because they’re not in mint condition.  Less so now than in the past, because I pretty much buy my modern posters from the same trusted sources.  But yeah, if it exists mint, I want it mind, meaning new.  No defect whatsoever.  99% of my modem posters are perfect.  But like I said, it’s personal.

T

I can certainly appreciate your preference for perfect posters. Personally, I don't collect much contemporary stuff. I definitely collect "modern" titles (1980s), but I'm not as concerned about finding perfect examples. In fact I often intentionally buy posters that have interesting snipes, etc. This is why I think there is room for SOME modern stuff that isn't perfect. Maybe I'm alone in this and I can always cruise eBay. But I still prefer the piece of mind buying from Bruce. I completely understand and am fine with less total auctions.
- Eric

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2019, 01:25:16 AM »
You know, I own almost 16,000 posters now (15k plus all the doubles and triples and more) and my collection begins with the 1940s and ends in 2020.  I have a grading system of what I accept and what I don't.  I want mint from 1980 on, rolled from 1984 on, DS from 1988 on.  Before that, I accept some pinholes, small, small tears, no linen ever, etc.  I've made a lot of mistake since I started collecting 18 years ago, and I've learned what's important to me.

I think we all have our pet peeves and I feel I wasted a lot of time going through lesser quality posters at Emovie.

T
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:26:23 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2019, 10:11:01 AM »
You know, I own almost 16,000 posters now (15k plus all the doubles and triples and more) and my collection begins with the 1940s and ends in 2020.  I have a grading system of what I accept and what I don't.  I want mint from 1980 on, rolled from 1984 on, DS from 1988 on.  Before that, I accept some pinholes, small, small tears, no linen ever, etc.  I've made a lot of mistake since I started collecting 18 years ago, and I've learned what's important to me.

I think we all have our pet peeves and I feel I wasted a lot of time going through lesser quality posters at Emovie.

T

I suppose that you could call it wasted time, but you obviously learned a lot about what you want in that time. I do care about condition, but to a lesser degree and sometimes I enjoy owning something that I couldn't otherwise afford. (I don't have a lot of disposable income) Like you, most of my collection will never be displayed, so I'm not all that concerned with sharp corners on contemporary paper (most movie posters today are not very appealing to me, Photoshop collages). I do like posters that are "all there" and prefer nice examples if possible. I don't do linen either(Although I do own one French "Curse of Frankenstein" that is backed that I purchased by mistake).

I'm not in the hobby as an investment and if anyone cashes in on my habit it will likely be my wife or children when I'm gone.

Come to think of it, I will probably have to update my instructions for how to dispose of my collection in the event of my passing. Currently my instructions entail "Give away whatever people want and send the rest to EMovie". With the new changes, I may have to come up with a new plan, as much of my stuff probably wont make the cut there anymore.
- Eric

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »

Mark

Agreed, Eyes Wide Shut doesn't belong on that list. But the point is that there are some modern posters that are desirable that are harder to find at a low price in perfect condition. I feel like in the mid to late 90s "theatrical" posters became much easier to obtain "commercially". Today you can get brand new ones by spending Regal rewards points.
- Eric

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2019, 04:44:25 AM »
You know, I own almost 16,000 posters now. T

Then I think you need to update your signature...