Author Topic: Heritage Live Bidding no more  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Heritage Live Bidding no more
« on: September 18, 2019, 03:44:04 AM »
Chaps,

Changes afoot.  Now good for when I was wishing to bid on a Thunderball item, the 'T' of which always meant that the extended bidding then recommenced, for me in the UK, at some God awful time like 4am!

"Starting with the auction that closes on Sunday, September 29, Heritage's Weekly Online Movie Poster Auctions will be changed to the Extended Bidding format.

In an Extended Bidding auction, anyone can bid until 6PM CT the night the auction closes, then anyone who has already bid on any lot may continue to bid on those lots until there are no more bids for 10 minutes. This will replace the Heritage Live session that now occurs at the end of the auction."

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Heritage Live Bidding no more
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:18:48 PM »
Hi Simes,  Reminds me of the old days when extended bidding was done over the phone!  Emovieposter and Hake's still do something like this as well. I remember staying up pretty late back in the day calling to make sure my bid stayed highest.  Anyone else remember that, too?  At Hake's, I still call in a bid sometimes. Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 11:47:06 PM »
Change and evolving is good.  thumbup

I'm sure Grey & Co looked into all of the parameters before deciding on this new auction platform. Here's hoping it's another  thumbsup.gif for HA.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 05:17:03 PM »
Wow, I'd be so pissed if I was a Heritage consignor yesterday.  Really low bidding. 

I was excited because there was a number of items I wanted and finally had time to bid (a first in 3 weeks).  Unfortunately, I didn't know about the new bidding format, got on my phone and... could not bid.  This new format makes it even harder for me to bid, so no more HA, at least until the sig auction.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 05:06:38 AM »
I was excited because there was a number of items I wanted and finally had time to bid (a first in 3 weeks).  Unfortunately, I didn't know about the new bidding format, got on my phone and... could not bid.  This new format makes it even harder for me to bid, so no more HA, at least until the sig auction.

I'm curious, since this is basically the same format that Emovie uses, do you phone bid with them? Or just find some way to to place your bids online in the harder format?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 06:15:02 AM »
Has anyone experienced the new method of bidding yet?  Only asking as I will be attending this coming Sunday.

Ta.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 08:14:37 AM »
Anyone?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »
it takes a little getting used to, but once you figure it out you're okay.

be sure to make a bid on anything you want to bid on in extended. then after the starting bidding ends, go look at your bids to see which items you can continue to bid on. don't lose track of time, or you may lose the opportunity to bid

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 07:18:14 PM »
Just checked the Sig auction.  Some good stuff there.

Is it the old format, or do you have to enter a bid early?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 11:15:23 PM »
Well, I didn't really get it.

I sat watching the one item, against which was an Extended Bidding Time message with seconds being counted down.

An earlier finishing item seemed to go down to 0 seconds and then it said Extended Bidding Period...!  Not, Closed.  Not, Finished.  So then I was looking around for what the Extended Bidding Period alluded to?  Couldn't see anything.

On my item, it counted down, there was no bidding, but I had to refresh the page to see that I had won it.  No mention of the above Extended Bidding Period.

Can I was what happens if one does bid in the last 5-10 minutes?  Does more time get added, like in Bruce's auctions?  Or is it like a snipe eBay bid where the last highest wins, irrespective of further time being allowed?

Confused.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 11:29:09 PM »
In fact, refreshing the page of the item I won says initially and very quickly that I won the item. 

But then in the same place, changes to;

"You are the current high bidder on this lot with a secret maximum bid of $25.
($44.00 w/Buyer's Premium (BP) ) "

Even though, it seems to have closed.

I dunno.  Will await an email later in the morning.  If anyone else experiences the same confusion, happy to pop a mail to Grey.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 02:56:24 AM »

Can I was what happens if one does bid in the last 5-10 minutes?  Does more time get added,

yes

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 04:37:08 AM »
Since there are no instructions for Extended Bidding on the Help pages yet, any answers to the above.

Specifically, how much time is added, and within what time of the end?

Has anyone won anything, and so did they get confused with messages of auctions seemingly in flight and what you thought should be the end?

Offline Devon70

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
Two weeks ago I was the high bidder on a poster when the regular time ended. I saw a ten minute extended bidding clock on the item I had bid on. At around three minutes someone outbid me and I think the clock was set back to ten minutes. I didn't want to go any higher so I let it go.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 05:51:50 PM »
So now, not only did they change the bidding format, which I think is awful (and talking to a few big collectors friend of mine, not on this forum, is a shared feeling), but they do not have an auctioneer going through their Sig auction, which I also think is a mistake.  It makes selling "high end" movie posters very ordinary, like it's losing some of its panache.  Maybe they don't care anymore.  For sure, it doesn't generate as much money as fine art, so maybe it's not worth their time.

Any thoughts?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 07:17:16 PM »
Consulting your core client base before fucking with your recipe seems pretty basic, but I guess when you're as big as Heritage you don't need to listen to that sort of feedback.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 02:17:36 AM »
Well, T's comment is right to suggest asking first, what are the priority revenue streams for companies before complaining about changes they make.

But, then, as I have alluded to above, the site isn't properly functioning yet for the basics like informing one as to when an auction lot has completed or not.  So, any changes, irrespective of whether they have first been communicated to your customer base, should work.

However, I do agree that there should be a chap waving his arms about for the sig auctions.  A little bit of theatre.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 07:41:27 PM »
Can't imagine how movie posters wouldn't be one of their priority streams especially with younger generations losing interest in some of the more traditional collecting areas.  Certainly names like Hammett and Dicaprio should be exactly the type of clients they are looking to connect with and expand on.  I am on numerous mailing lists and catalogues etc and never once have been asked to provide feedback. They seem to post at will on this forum, how about checking in with some of us?  How about a free contest once in a while?   Free shipping?  Bueller...Bueller...

Good companies think good things about their clients and solicit them not because they have to but because they have genuine interest in the feedback.

I get emails from my local department store asking "How did we do?" for god's sake! 
 ;D ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 07:44:06 PM »
They seem to post at will on this forum, how about checking in with some of us?  How about a free contest once in a while?

thumbsup.gif
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
Can't imagine how movie posters wouldn't be one of their priority streams especially with younger generations losing interest in some of the more traditional collecting areas.  Certainly names like Hammett and Dicaprio should be exactly the type of clients they are looking to connect with and expand on.  I am on numerous mailing lists and catalogues etc and never once have been asked to provide feedback. They seem to post at will on this forum, how about checking in with some of us?  How about a free contest once in a while?   Free shipping?  Bueller...Bueller...

Good companies think good things about their clients and solicit them not because they have to but because they have genuine interest in the feedback.

I get emails from my local department store asking "How did we do?" for god's sake! 
 ;D ;D

Strange, as just today in my email I got another Heritage survey email. I get not only the emails on a regular basis, but they send whole surveys in snail mail also.
I would suggest maybe you reach out to Randy Ritter, who is their director of client services and voice any concerns.

And while Heritage probably does as many $$$$ in sales as the next 5 largest poster sellers combined, it is easy to see that for the company it is a very small department (I think the last Comics Signature sale did over $10 million in 2 days), but to their credit they promote the heck out of posters. They easily advertise more than all their competitors combined and have probably done more to grow the hobby in the last ten years than any other seller.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 04:38:05 PM »
And while Heritage probably does as many $$$$ in sales as the next 5 largest poster sellers combined, it is easy to see that for the company it is a very small department (I think the last Comics Signature sale did over $10 million in 2 days), but to their credit they promote the heck out of posters. They easily advertise more than all their competitors combined and have probably done more to grow the hobby in the last ten years than any other seller.

Realized: $14,936,703

as to the rest of people's comments...

like Sean, I also get plenty of surveys from them. Whether they send surveys out to all bidders, or just winner, or even just those who participate in the Signature auctions, I cannot say.

I didn't notice there wasn't a live auctioneer for the Signature auction (I wasn't bidding, just partially watching), but seeing as the sale did 2.5mil (more than their past several sales), it appears they don't need one, which actually makes sense, as I don't think they're getting 'bidders in the room' very much anymore.

Countdown clock. I had mentioned that to Grey the first week, along with a few other things. The clock should be appearing soon

-------