Author Topic: July 2019  (Read 14247 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
July 2019
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:17:57 AM »

Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: July 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 12:35:32 AM »
nice Native Son poster. I have always liked that design

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 12:48:02 AM »
Thanks Rich.  Matias inspired me  ;D
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 01:41:47 AM »
Chris! Chris!  You started July off in style and vintage, too!  How about we bring our two countries even closer together by hosting a couple of Naturama film festivals: summer in Canada (province?) and winter in Florida? You and Richie sure pegged the Argentinean poster beauty in Native Son (interesting Spanish title of Black Blood?).  How about the guy's neck collapsing because those road girls are just too wild!  Super posters, Chris!  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
The Night Riders featuring The 3 Mesquiteers (this incarnation: John Wayne, Ray "Crash" Corrigan, and Max Terhune) turned 90 years old earlier this year. Interesting to me via Wikipedia is Terhune was born the earliest in 1891 and lived to be the oldest at 82 years old.  Corrigan was born in 1902 and made 74 years, while Wayne, the youngest, was born in 1907 and was 72 years old when he died. The three actors died in 1973, 1976, and 1979, respectively. I didn't make the connection until today that Terhune was in the movie Giant.  I won this Night Riders one sheet in Bruce's recent major auction and received it this month.  I really like the image even with the very odd choice of Night Rider disguise/super hero cowpoke costume?! Here's a picture just before the poster went into a Spotlight Displays' frame. Okie
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:08:13 PM by okiehawker »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 05:37:43 PM »
Thanks Rich.  Matias inspired me  ;D

You should seriously rethink the role models you choose...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »
Came across this rolled US 40x60 in a small thrift shop. It was rolled up in a corner behind a couple golf bags.

It's for Michael Mann's 1983 horror flick, THE KEEP. Another from the era when created artwork was still done, with some regularity. (And my one and only poster in this size).

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 08:01:59 PM »
Jeff's amazing-movie poster bloodhound-thrift/junk store finds continue!  Jeff, you sure have the scent down for chasing down posters that would escape many others!  Nice going out there!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
Don't know anything about The Night Riders, Okie, but I'm sure it's a cool poster if you're a John Wayne fan.

Which reminds me of this: https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-hiltzik-john-wayne-oc-airport-20190221-story.html

Too far, imo.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:23 PM »
Don't know anything about The Night Riders, Okie, but I'm sure it's a cool poster if you're a John Wayne fan.

Which reminds me of this: https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-hiltzik-john-wayne-oc-airport-20190221-story.html

Too far, imo.

T

Yep, T, I've always been a little speculative of naming public places after people.  If the spooky skeleton about someone isn't hiding in the closet, it may be out to ogle in Playboy, eh?!  The music group Crash Test Dummies had a great song in 1991 called "The Ghosts That Haunt Me" that seems to resonate here, too (those dang enlightened Canadians!).  Not to get too far off the July 2019 "Latest Acquisitions", though I see your point on the John Wayne Playboy article and raise you a Jake Owen CNN article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/27/entertainment/jake-owen-lgbtq-clap-back/index.html
I freely admit, I love a great movie starring The Duke, though I also don't believe everything my grand-daddy did, and I loved my grandparents dearly.  Man, I really enjoy Hank Williams, Jr's. "Country Boy Can Survive" (I've run a few trotlines myself), and I hope ole Hank and I would have hearty debates around the camp fire about the several things I expect we see very differently.  I just want us all to keep talking.
P.S. And, thrown into all this I do sure enjoy me some Cher!  Okie
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:12:11 PM by okiehawker »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »

Nice win.  I'm a big fan of Mr. Mann's cinematic style.  Looks like another great work of his.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
Thanks, Okie and B.

B - I havent seen this flick (ive wanted to check it out for a while, though). I read that Mann was ultimately not all that happy with the final result, and some critics at the time of the movie's release, gave it a thumbs down, including Roger Ebert. Though, as the years have gone by, it has gained a bit of 'cult status' from fans.

I guess there has also never been a DVD or blu-ray release. And when Mann has been asked if a director's cut might ever be released, he's suggested that this flick will be left as is, with no interest in revisiting it.

Maybe one day.

But I also like his style, so will be worth checking out from that POV.

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 10:46:43 PM »
Erik, nice big poster to THE KEEP. I think I saw it at one time but if I did, I don't remember anything about it.

Michael Mann gave an interview about 10 years ago where he mentioned HEAT was going to be broadcast on network TV. Mann knew because of the original length, and with commercial breaks it would never run in a 3 hour time slot. So Mann suggested to the network that he could pad the film out with about 20 - 30 minutes of unused footage with the intention of having it run in 2 parts over 2 nights. Instead the network cut and butchered it so badly that when Mann saw the finished result, he took his name off the TV version and gave the credit to that great director Allen Smithee.   >:(

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 10:55:13 PM »
The Keep is definitely a flawed, compromised picture (a result of a lot of studio interference if I recall correctly) but it still has its moments and is worth checking out.  The Lovecraftian creature design is pretty cool.  And the cast is interesting.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 12:13:20 AM »
Erik, nice big poster to THE KEEP. I think I saw it at one time but if I did, I don't remember anything about it.

Michael Mann gave an interview about 10 years ago where he mentioned HEAT was going to be broadcast on network TV. Mann knew because of the original length, and with commercial breaks it would never run in a 3 hour time slot. So Mann suggested to the network that he could pad the film out with about 20 - 30 minutes of unused footage with the intention of having it run in 2 parts over 2 nights. Instead the network cut and butchered it so badly that when Mann saw the finished result, he took his name off the TV version and gave the credit to that great director Allen Smithee.   >:(

Thanks, cabman.

THE KEEP is on my 'to watch' list now too.... if nothing else, the premise (and original story) sound interesting.

-Jeff

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 04:21:31 AM »
its been a while since i posted anything so here goes a few ive picked up!

A Monster Calls - this was released as a limited run of 50 on card. ive only ever seen 1 other for sale & i found it while rummaging thru a cinemas poster dungeon! felt like those guys from American Pickers! had to use a torch to find things,mice running around & just rubbish strewn everywhere. just as i was leaving i saw this leaning against a wall. Fantastic stuff. made my day thumbsup.gif
A Monster Calls by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Kind Hearts & Coronets - one of the best Ealing comedies & saw it at the cinema in all its restored glory
Kind Hearts & Coronets - 2019 Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Apocalypse Now - one of my fav films - already booked my tickets to see it in August & great image. just a shame they left the text in!
Apocalypse Now - 2019 Re-Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Jaws - well at least they designed something different but still.....Park Circus now use such shitty thin paper that you will be lucky to find any of their posters in good condition. They are already tight wads with sending out only 2 posters & now they are skimping on paper!!!
Jaws - 2019 Re-Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Clockwork Orange - great image,great film!
Clockwork Orange - 2019 Re-Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Blue Angel - must admit i know nothing about the film but the art drew me in
The Blue Angel - 2019 Re-Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Nae Pasaran - again just a nice image
Nae Pasaran by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Alien - Park Circus again, same image as always!
Alien - 2019 Re-Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Mildred Pierce
Mildred Pierce by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Dr Strangelove
Dr Strangelove - 2019 Re-Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Imagine - quite a nice image for a v.limited release. i cant remember seeing any of these on ebay
Imagine - 2018 Re-Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Suspiria - not a horror fan but great poster!
Suspiria by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Shape of Water - this took a bit of getting! released for 1 cinema in London for a Q & A. Probably no more than 25 printed
The Shape of Water by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Bond - took abit of a gamble with this one. saw it listed on ebay with crappy photos so couldnt check condition & with it listed as a BIN £30 i couldnt wait to hear from the seller. not in the best shape but pretty rare all the same.
James Bond: Spend Sunday's with James Bond by mike Reeve, on Flickr

ill list a few more over the weekend. Enjoy!!!!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 04:55:33 AM »
Just Love these re-release posters you treat us to.

Wasn't aware Park Circus are cutting on budgets etc. All my Bond Park Circus quads are on nice paper.  The BIN for your festival was pretty good, I believe.  The condition I cannot see on the image.

Cracking stuff, all.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 09:57:11 AM »
Super haul, Mike! Love em all, very good indeed.

Also digging the 40 x 60 for The Keep. Especially as it was a bargain thrift store find! Nice one, Jeff.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:18:47 AM by Tob »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »
Great haul there, Mike!  thumbsup.gif

The APOC NOW is a beauty.

And thanks, Tob. Like Mike's one find, THE KEEP was rolled up and standing in a corner by a golf bag and loose golf clubs. I was happy to see that it hadn't gotten crushed from the bag (or anything else) falling or leaning against it.

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 02:17:41 PM »
Fantastic as always Mike. You are assembling a superb niche collection.

Mark

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 04:04:08 PM »
its been a while since i posted anything so here goes a few ive picked up!

Alien - Park Circus again, same image as always!
Alien - 2019 Re-Release by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Bond - took abit of a gamble with this one. saw it listed on ebay with crappy photos so couldnt check condition & with it listed as a BIN £30 i couldnt wait to hear from the seller. not in the best shape but pretty rare all the same.
James Bond: Spend Sunday's with James Bond by mike Reeve, on Flickr

ill list a few more over the weekend. Enjoy!!!!

I'll have that Alien when you're done with it! :-)

The Bond quad - great price!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
Been a busy month so far ..
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 11:43:10 PM »
Some arrived in July, some were purchased in July.

A few horror half sheets

A nice horror insert

A horror one sheet

Some other nice one sheets

And a title card from a very underrated film with great performances by Muni and Rainer.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 06:43:19 AM »
Jeff, 'The Keep' is great and a nice way to find a poster.

Mike, really love the 'A Monster Calls' quad. Loved the film and its music. A really nice story to it's find, much like Jeff's

And Ratzkywatzky, what and incredible July you're having! The only posters I've received this month are for other people  :'(

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
Really LOVE your THE GOOD EARTH TC, Ratzkywatzky.  bed1

That flick is one of my favorite movies and it was a HUGE production when when and is considered an amazing production, all these years later. Rainer as O-lan blew me away. (The entire cast is top notch and was a major MGM release, too.

Congrats again, on all the pickups, too.

-Jeff

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 11:30:55 AM »
Thanks to you both!
Jeff I agree completely regarding The Good Earth. Such a good movie and Rainer's performance is understated brilliance. Didn't she win the AA for her performance? I am thinking she did. I just love the look of the title card. For the poster lover in me it really evokes the period the film was made, the colors really jump out at you, and it highlights both Rainer and Muni wonderfully.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:36:15 AM by Ratzkywatzky »