Author Topic: Raiders of the Lost Ark '81 - different GAU/'Property of NSSC' configurations?  (Read 11274 times)

Offline Desk

• Beginner
Hi,

I've been looking at Raiders 81 posters, and have come across something to which I haven't been able to find an answer.

There are images on the net of what are purported to be genuine original posters, but they have different configurations between the GAU logo and 'Litho in USA' and the 'Property of National Screen Service Corporation Licensed...' text.

As I say, I've searched on the net and can't find a reference to this variation, so can anyone possibly tell me if both of these are genuine?

Best,

Desk

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Do you know the exact dimensions?  I would start there if not. 

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
I would submit, both will be genuine.

In making a copy, the 'copy' will be a copy.  One wouldn't copy the majority but then shoot themselves in the foot by frigging around some text juxtaposition.

I have enough Bond related material that manifests similar changes and, in person, all items are genuine.  To wit, there are about four different Diamonds are Forever 1 sheets with a variety of printers' bugs and studio logos all changing position.

I also have two From Russia with Love UK Pressbooks that, probably due to their being printed by two different printing houses, exemplify slight visual difference.

My stance would be, buy the posters and report back.  But I think you will be fine.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Both are legit. Just different placement of the NSS "paragraph" is all, depending on where it was printed.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
NSS version & studio version if authentic theatrical.

there is also a fan club poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Desk

• Beginner
Many thanks for all the information.

I bought a Raiders poster, 27" x 41", with an NSS code, logos, etc. Will look to post a picture.

One thing I've noticed is that pictures online of the 81 Raiders poster appear to suggest variety in the colouring. Sometimes it appears quite dark brown and earthy, and at other times quite orangey.

I don't know if there actually are differences in the flesh, perhaps due to different printers and print runs (as Jeff notes there would have been), or if the apparent variation is just down to the way the picture was taken, the lighting at the time, etc.

Anyway, I'm very excited to own an '81 Raiders (I can remember my grandmother having to take me to see it when it came out). I've been looking online for any discussions about the merits of the '81 poster versus the one Amsel produced for the '82 rerelease. For my money, the '82 poster is very cool, and iconic, but is more leightweight and comic booky. The '81 poster to me better evokes the mood of the film, its pulpy origins, and the feeling of being something 'from the past'.

Desk

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Those are just different printings from different print unions, both legit.

The main one to look out for is the version from the Zig Zag set, which is marked.

The Australian one sheet tends to be higher color saturation on these too btw.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Desk

• Beginner
Well, that didn't last long.

I'd snagged a great deal with this poster as the only bidder in an auction. However, a few days passed and it still hadn't been shipped. The seller sent an apology and said he's get it mailed.

However, my fears were confirmed when I then got a notification through that the seller had requested to cancel the sale and was refunding me my money.

I've been in touch with the seller, who has cited personal reasons.

So, sadly, I'm going to have to continue hunting for an 81 rolled Raiders poster, which kinda sucks.

Desk
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:22:44 PM by Desk »

• Post-aholic

I'd snagged a great deal with this poster as the only bidder in an auction. However, a few days passed and it still hadn't been shipped. The seller sent an apology and said he's get it mailed.

However, my fears were confirmed when I then got a notification through that the seller had requested to cancel the sale and was refunding me my money.

So, sadly, I'm going to have to continue hunting for an 81 rolled Raiders poster, which kinda sucks.

Desk

what's the link to the listing
and I'd leave NEG feedback for sure

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
what's the link to the listing
and I'd leave NEG feedback for sure

Can a buyer leave negs if a seller cancels a sale?  I remember the same thing happening to me a couple years ago on a poster that I really wanted and got for so cheap that the seller canceled the sale.  What pissed me off most is that I couldn't leave negs because the item had disappeared.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
Can a buyer leave negs if a seller cancels a sale?  I remember the same thing happening to me a couple years ago on a poster that I really wanted and got for so cheap that the seller canceled the sale.  What pissed me off most is that I couldn't leave negs because the item had disappeared.

T

I don't really know. I've never had this situation come up, but you can be sure if I did, I would be posting loud & clear everything about the listing and the seller, so other people know what to expect from said asshole

-------

Offline Desk

• Beginner
The listing appears to still show up for me...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264252981229

However, as T says, I'd looked into the situation and it appears that, depending on the reason given by the seller to cancel the sale, no negative feedback can be left. Simply looking to cancel because the item is 'out of stock' will be accepted by eBay, and the only penalty to the seller is having to pay full listing fees.

Desk
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:41:38 AM by Desk »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Sometimes with prized finds like this, I do a couple of things.

Pop a bid in, irrespective of the later snipe.
Get in touch with the seller saying that if he is likely to get and consider off-eBay offers, to bear me in mind for negotiation.

Yes, I am leaving myself open to being shaken down but sometimes, you gotta do...

Offline Desk

• Beginner
In subsequent contact when I enquired why he was pulling the sale the seller did raise the idea of giving me a call.

I don’t know if this was the start of a plan to renegotiate the price, but eBay strictly prohibits communications outside of their channels for this very reason, and monitors these conversations. I certainly wasn’t going to risk my eBay account (God forbid), so I ended it there..

Desk

• Post-aholic
In subsequent contact when I enquired why he was pulling the sale the seller did raise the idea of giving me a call.

I don’t know if this was the start of a plan to renegotiate the price, but eBay strictly prohibits communications outside of their channels for this very reason, and monitors these conversations. I certainly wasn’t going to risk my eBay account (God forbid), so I ended it there..

Desk

phone call for what? To ask for more money than you were supposed to pay?
screw him.

btw, looking at the photos, I don't think that poster is authentic anyway. You may have dodged a bullet

-------

Offline Desk

• Beginner

Desk

Well, I guess the seller got over his personal reasons for cancelling the sale of this Raiders poster - as he's now selling it again on eBay at a much higher price than I bought it for.....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283679321163

Desk

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
What do you think you will do?

What do these posters generally go for in this condition etc.?

Personal feelings towards an unscrupulous seller vs the desire for the item...

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
I know you're after a rolled one but I have a folded one that I can do for a decent price.
Best,
Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Taiyaki

• Beginner
The other day I noticed the seller Bradbury on Ebay has a rolled copy of this that has the NSS number and the GAU logo but not the paragraph under neath. I wonder if that's a reprint akin to the Star Wars hairy belt bootleg or not. Overall he's a good seller so I don't mean to bad mouth him. Just seriously curious what that could be.

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
Do you mean bradburied - if so just search that name on this forum.
Regards

Ian

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Stay way from Bradburied!!!!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
The other day I noticed the seller Bradbury on Ebay has a rolled copy of this that has the NSS number and the GAU logo but not the paragraph under neath. I wonder if that's a reprint akin to the Star Wars hairy belt bootleg or not. Overall he's a good seller

Not really. He sells a constant deluge of fakes, one of the most misleading sellers operating today via ebay.

I was mistaken,

Offline Taiyaki

• Beginner
Not really. He sells a constant deluge of fakes, one of the most misleading sellers operating today via ebay.

Does he really? I’ve bought a few posters from him over the years and as far as I know they were legitimate. Aside from the hairy belt Star Wars one are there other examples of fakes on his store?

Anyway that raiders one without the text blurb is bizarre as heck.

Offline Taiyaki

• Beginner
Do you mean bradburied - if so just search that name on this forum.
Yes. My bad for the mispelling. I didn’t know he had a bad reputation in the community.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Does he really? I’ve bought a few posters from him over the years and as far as I know they were legitimate. Aside from the hairy belt Star Wars one are there other examples of fakes on his store?

Anyway that raiders one without the text blurb is bizarre as heck.

Yes, he has produced and distributed countless fakes into the market. Can you provide pics and measurements of what you have bought from him?

I was mistaken,