Author Topic: Why do some UK sellers refuse to ship to the US?  (Read 12654 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Why do some UK sellers refuse to ship to the US?
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:53:49 PM »
It has happened to me a bunch of times.  Just now, I bought 6 posters from Ebay UK and the seller canceled everything, even though I was the only one bidding.  I fail to understand, since I've never had this problem with other countries.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Why do some UK sellers refuse to ship to the US?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:47:18 PM »
There is a much worse problem with US sellers refusing to sell outside the US
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 10:57:43 PM »
There is a much worse problem with US sellers refusing to sell outside the US

It is a bigger country.  They might not need to sell outside the US.

Cutting the US out seems a much bigger deal to me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 11:02:02 PM »
It is a bigger country.  They might not need to sell outside the US.

Cutting the US out seems a much bigger deal to me.

T

Not when one resides outside the US  ;D
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:20:03 PM »
Not when one resides outside the US  ;D

Touché!

thumbsup.gif

I still need an answer.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »
It's probably the same reason why many US sellers refuse to send outside the country - the need to fill out customs forms the perceived increased risk.

For the record I have never encountered a UK, France, German, Argentinean or Australian seller that refused to ship to at least the US or Canada. 

But every week I come across a seller within the US refusing to ship anywhere but the continental US.  And then many that will ship outside the US will only use eBay's GSP - if buying off eBay - which is very hit or miss (and unreasonably expensive).  Even trying to buy internationally from Heritage is a huge pain in the ass most times.
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 12:09:20 AM »
Okay, that's all great, but it is not the question in MY thread.  It has happened to me many times and again tonight.  I wasn't going to spend a lot of money, probably 200 pounds, but I was the only bidder.  Yet, no. 

So the guy would rather not sell than sell to the US.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 12:18:13 AM »
There's more work to do when shipping internationally - even if the buyer sees it as insignificant it seems to be a big annoyance for many sellers (or they are simply misinformed and do not want to go through the trouble...)

But you're right I am not from the UK so maybe one of those chaps will chime in.

PS - Don't be surprised if it is simply left over grievances in a Brit selling to a Frenchman  ;)
Chris

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:36:08 AM »
Did you ask the seller directly? Or any other seller that refuses to ship to the US?

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 03:09:51 AM »
I've posted to all parts of the globe from the UK & there's no real issue. I dont fill out any extra forms etc . I just pass the tube over,tell him/her which country & what service Id like & pay. It's quite simple.
So I imagine the seller refused because they don't fill comfortable sending abroad - maybe had problems in past, the tubes been damaged, not shown up, had to refund etc. Now you can obviously say, get some stronger tubes,learn how to package correctly etc but it's the sellers progrative & there are plenty of US sellers who don't post to the UK.
Solution? Get a UK poster buddy & get them to sort it out for you. Surely part of the reason we join these kinds of forums is to get help from fellow collectors & I'm sure there would be plenty of UK members willing to assist

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 05:26:46 AM »
Any UK seller that nervous has probably had a bad prior experience and my money is on his use of thin tubes. You don't say if you sent him your packing/shipping instructions prior to his refusal but it is next to impossible to buy strong tubes (ones you can't indent with your fingers)  in small quantities here. His refusal may be a blessing in disguise.

Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 05:36:29 AM »
Agree with Mark and Mike (and Chris). I’d guess at the seller having a bad experience with posting internationally in the past.

It is daft, because if he shipped via the eBay GSP, his liability would end when it reached the warehouse in the UK, so it would be no different to sending to a UK buyer.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 05:43:02 AM »
Okay, that's all great, but it is not the question in MY thread. 

To be frank, if we see bidders in every country refusing to ship to a country foreign to their own, I am not sure there is Anything to answer.

It Just Happens.

And, although this may be surprising to Americans, the world does not revolve around the US. 

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 06:57:58 AM »
Re. Tubes - Post Office tubes are basically big toilet rolls. Total shite! Best place to get the tubes from in UK - cinemas. They may not want to sell surplus posters but they gladly give you any tubes destined for the bin. Otherwise best alternative - plastic drainage pipes & cut them to size.
Re. GSP - Good point Tob thou would the seller know? I've never used it after I found out the cost. Waste of money.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
When I've sold posters in the past I've always used plastic drainage pipes, very strong and quite cheap. Failing that I've reused one of Bruce's tubes.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 10:53:04 AM »
INTL shipping can be a PITA if you manually fill out the forms. Also risk of shipping damage goes way up and increased risk of loss unless you insure.

Shipping rates are really out of hand, its almost like there is international collusion going on to sky rocket rates to detour mail order business or something.  USPS rates have more that doubled for INTL shipping the past 10 years.  Unless I can get a pay and hold or a large order, I don't buy much out of the country anymore.  I dont buy the large ticket items much either though, if you are buying a 500.00+ poster, who cares if you pay 15.00 or 30.00 for shipping.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
Filling out a customs form by hand *maybe* takes 5 min. Not sure why some people thinking filling out one form is such a hassle. Ive sent any number of parcels to people in the UK and elsewhere in the EU, and it's been simple.

I usually keep a small number of the cust. forms at home, fill them out there, then get enjoy the REAL PITA, which is standing in a long line, with PO workers moving at the speed of maple syrup in winter.

As long as one has all their info handy and ready to write in on the form, I think it's a breeze.

And, knock on wood, all parcels have arrived damage free, and never gotten lost.  whew.gif   thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:17:22 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
People still go to the post office, and stand in line to mail things?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 04:20:16 PM »
it has become too much to ship overseas and it does take more time to do international shipping.
that's from this side. I've also had more damaged parcels going overseas than ever before in the past year

also, while shipping from overseas has always been cheaper for them, prices are skyrocketing there also in some countries

however, shipping domestically has become a real back breaker. I haven't raised my shipping charges in 5 years, but I can't eat the difference anymore.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 04:48:17 PM »
Any UK seller that nervous has probably had a bad prior experience and my money is on his use of thin tubes. You don't say if you sent him your packing/shipping instructions prior to his refusal but it is next to impossible to buy strong tubes (ones you can't indent with your fingers)  in small quantities here. His refusal may be a blessing in disguise.

Mark

That's probably true, Mark, although the few Ebay sellers I regularly buy from use tubes stronger than anything I've seen in the US.  So they do exist.  But I know exactly the tubes you're talking about.  The ones you can crush with one hand.  You'd have to be pretty dumb to ship something in those.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »
you guys do realize that postal employees and UPS etc all have a person devoted to the handling of your package from drop off to destination don't you? They handle each package with white gloves & rest it on a bed of feathers as it gets transported.

at least, that seems to be how people think it happens

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
People still go to the post office, and stand in line to mail things?

Stand in line in the customs office with an open tube and a roll of brown paper, get the tube inspected by customs employees, close the tube taking care the poster is safe inside, wrap the tube with the brown paper, get the wrapped tube stamped by the customs employee, walk to the dispatch line, fill out a content declaration form, a customs form with value of contents and weight, pay for shipping and then walk out of the post office. You can return home walking, by bus, or car, whatever you prefer.
It's awesome sending international packages from Argentina
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »

For the record I have never encountered a UK, France, German, Argentinean or Australian seller that refused to ship to at least the US or Canada. 

I will stop shipping there just because of you.  ;)
Matias

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 10:47:58 PM »
I will stop shipping there just because of you.  ;)

You caught me Mr. Matias!   8)
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 10:50:50 PM »
I might seem to be disappeared, but I'm always everywhere... >:D
Matias