Author Topic: Boris Karloff 50 years gone  (Read 4954 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Boris Karloff 50 years gone
« on: February 02, 2019, 11:12:16 AM »
The great Boris Karloff left us 50 years ago today.  Karloff was just shy of 44 years old when Frankenstein was released and scared wide-eyed young fans like Ray Bradbury and Uncle Forry Ackerman.  I remember watching Frankenstein and Bride on late night television with the lights off, a crackling fire in the fireplace, and hosted by Oklahoma City's own fantastic horror host Count Gregore (John Ferguson).  Such great memories!  Thanks Karloff and Count Gregore!   Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
Re: Boris Karloff 50 years gone
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 04:31:14 PM »
Boris holds a warm place in my heart ever since his beloved Monster scared the hell out of me when I was 6 years old. My father asked me all those years ago "do you want to see a movie on TV tonight?" I said yes and asked what movie it was. "Frankenstein!" Not knowing what a frankenstein was I said yes. I managed to stay with it, with growing apprehension, until Boris made his grand entrance. Those consecutive close ups of that horrid face was all I could stand. I ran into my bedroom, slammed the door shut, and hid under the covers. I can definitely say Boris Karloff totally corrupted my life in the most wonderful way and for that I am eternally grateful.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:39:44 PM »
Boris is Number 1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »
Boris holds a warm place in my heart ever since his beloved Monster scared the hell out of me when I was 6 years old. My father asked me all those years ago "do you want to see a movie on TV tonight?" I said yes and asked what movie it was. "Frankenstein!" Not knowing what a frankenstein was I said yes. I managed to stay with it, with growing apprehension, until Boris made his grand entrance. Those consecutive close ups of that horrid face was all I could stand. I ran into my bedroom, slammed the door shut, and hid under the covers. I can definitely say Boris Karloff totally corrupted my life in the most wonderful way and for that I am eternally grateful.
That the closeups are so impressive is sure a testament to Jack Pierce's genius, eh Cabman?!   Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »
Yep!

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:35:31 PM »
"Cannot be destroyed.....cannot die! Your father made him live for.......always!"

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 12:25:00 AM »
"Cannot be destroyed.....cannot die! Your father made him live for.......always!"

Great photo, Cabman!  I hope it's in your collection?  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 08:55:49 PM »
Considering this is the "show us your collection" board, I would certainly hope so. If so, this would be a first image from cabman's collection -  posters, stills or otherwise.

Otherwise.... random pics (of Karloff or anyone/anything) from Google can be placed elsewhere.  ;)

Here's hoping this was a first image from CMG's collection.  prayer.gif
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:22:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
Considering this is the "show us your collection" board, I would certainly hope so. If so, this would be a first image from cabman's collection -  posters, stills or otherwise.

Otherwise.... random pics (of Karloff or anyone/anything) from Google can be placed elsewhere.  ;)

Here's hoping this was a first image from CMG's collection.  prayer.gif

That being said, Jeff, I know you especially must have some fun Karloff story to tell us, eh?   Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 09:08:44 PM »
Remembering Karloff the Uncanny on the 52nd anniversary of his death.  I found this nice little Art Deco frame stand in which to keep my signed photo of him out on display.  It sits on top of our piano normally and visitors sometimes ask if he's one of our relatives.  Okie

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 11:39:21 PM »
Okie,

I had NO IDEA Karloff was nearly 44 when he did FRANKENSTEIN. Thanks for that tidbit. CHEERS
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 01:16:46 PM »
nice art deco photo frame for boris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 01:27:49 AM »
nice art deco photo frame for boris

Thanks for having a look, Redman and Monster.  Okie