Author Topic: Sales Tax?  (Read 6736 times)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Sales Tax?
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
I noticed on a recent log-in to Heritage a giant banner across my screen warning me that they would now charge sales tax on all sales in my state.

What the heck is up with that? Is this just another revenue stream for them?
I don't see similar notices from Emovie or Movieposterbid or any other dealer I frequent.
Kudos to them for paying that out of their existing revenues and not passing it on to the customer.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Sales Tax?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
Living in CA, HA has always charged sales tax there (as they also have offices/locations there), so it was just a matter of time before the sales tax in other states began to be implemented.

This older thread, started last September, also discusses HA's taxing in other states, too:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,13391.0.html

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 08:34:58 AM »
Cause - https://www.racked.com/2018/6/21/17488548/south-dakota-wayfair-supreme-court-decision

Unfortunately now every state is doing their own thresholds. It is really a mess.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »
Unfortunately now every state is doing their own thresholds. It is really a mess.

I found a link that lists the requirements for most states, and it seems to be an "or" threshold, not an "and" threshold, so while the dollar amounts might be high ($100K, 200K, or more) for most states it seems if you do 200 transactions you are required to collect now. This probably means most dealers have to as regards to states like NY or CA, and I would think high volume dealers would have to on pretty much all the states.

One worrisome line from the Georgia code is that if a seller doesn't collect, they can just send you a bill at the end of the year telling you to pay.

Rich, have you looked at what states you are going to have to start collecting for?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:05:00 PM by eatbrie »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:21:59 PM »
I found a link that lists the requirements for most states, and it seems to be an "or" threshold, not an "and" threshold, so while the dollar amounts might be high ($100K, 200K, or more) for most states it seems if you do 200 transactions you are required to collect now. This probably means most dealers have to as regards to states like NY or CA, and I would think high volume dealers would have to on pretty much all the states.

One worrisome line from the Georgia code is that if a seller doesn't collect, they can just send you a bill at the end of the year telling you to pay.

Rich, have you looked at what states you are going to have to start collecting for?

I solved my issue differently: I'm just letting other companies do my business and letting them deal with it.

I already have to file sales taxes for California  (and did so today) in order to maintain my convention license in that state and to of course, defray taxes for purchases I make out there for resale, like when I bought the poster stock of Hollywood Book & Poster in 2016.

to be honest, I don't know how governmental agencies can really expect so many mom & pop sellers to hire attorneys & accountants to handle this and the added expenses of doing so may end many selling online in some formats

a unique circumstance, I literally have no clientele in Nevada to speak of and seeing as my business license is for an online business, my taxes are all folded into the costs of my business license (which I'm filing today and which are imo, laughably low) and I don't require a sales tax permit.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:05:21 PM by eatbrie »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 11:10:24 PM »
Crowzilla, I have just deleted your nasty allegations about Emovie.  I've had it, man.  I've tried to tell you so many different ways and you don't seem to understand.  I've had now 6 forum members complain about your attitude/ agree with my stance.  So I will ever so gently tell you one last time to stop.  No back and forth needed, and please no private messages.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 11:47:15 PM »
Crowzilla, I have just deleted your nasty allegations about Emovie.  I've had it, man.  I've tried to tell you so many different ways and you don't seem to understand.  I've had now 6 forum members complain about your attitude/ agree with my stance.  So I will ever so gently tell you one last time to stop.  No back and forth needed, and please no private messages.

T

Yeah, Crow, take the high road!  You've got so much great knowledge of the hobby to share, and such a cool Japanese Kaiju book under your belt among many other accomplishments.  C'mon, brother.    Okie

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 02:12:43 AM »

I am legitimately scratching my head as to these allegations.  The only thing I can even remember writing about Emovie in this thread is saying that they have a lot of sales and might have to collect tax soon also.
That's your idea of a nasty allegation?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:15:46 AM »
Yeah, Crow, take the high road!  You've got so much great knowledge of the hobby to share, and such a cool Japanese Kaiju book under your belt among many other accomplishments.  C'mon, brother.    Okie

I do all the time buddy. Since the last time I noted here Emovie offered a reprint for sale as an original, I've quietly emailed them lots of corrections about reprints and reissues they've listed as they are responsive and there is no need to make a big deal out of it.
 thumbsup.gif
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 02:35:38 AM »
I also have no idea what is negative in talking about sales taxes collected, paid etc.

Like I said, only today I filed & paid California sales taxes, from here in Nevada. I didn't mind

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

guest4531

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 02:53:01 AM »
I am legitimately scratching my head as to these allegations.  The only thing I can even remember writing about Emovie in this thread is saying that they have a lot of sales and might have to collect tax soon also.
That's your idea of a nasty allegation?

6 members complaining, waaah!  And yet, we don't know what the post was, nor the reason of complaints, and we don't even know who complained. 

Since all proofs have deleted, do like the Russian with the Sergei Skripal poisoning, say there is no ground for such retaliation and imperialist behaviors, ask for formal transparent report before condemning.

This said, I agree with you, lot of sales at EMP as for the taxes, it depends with legislation where EMP is set.   Since Trump doesn't like tax, I don't forsee it unless recreational cannabis is not implemented and State in dire need of money.

You really made a book about Kaiju... When I was in Bangkok, my mission (I always set a kind of "antique/vintage" search mission) was to buy some Kaiju Bandai figures.  Damn hard to find but found about 10 in a flee market... and checking for these little buggers in movies/sitcoms was pretty amusing and very informative!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 04:35:03 AM »
6 members complaining, waaah! 

the Attack of the Too-Tight Panties People

-------

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 05:34:35 AM »
6 members complaining, waaah!  And yet, we don't know what the post was, nor the reason of complaints, and we don't even know who complained. 

I think those of us who stick with this board through thick and thin will understand exactly what's going on. And no, I didn't complain.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 07:05:28 AM »
the Attack of the Too-Tight Panties People
Joke's on you mister i'm not even wearing any panties right now!  Ha! 

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »

Heck, I didnt even know Bruce had registered here six times.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »
Joke's on you mister i'm not even wearing any panties right now!  Ha!

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay........"  ;D :P

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 08:46:18 PM »
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay........"  ;D :P

Touche', Tang. ( and a real touche' it is, too).

-Jeff