Author Topic: Emovieposter proves AGAIN that it is eBay on steroids!  (Read 7955 times)

guest4955

Emovieposter proves AGAIN that it is eBay on steroids!
« on: November 15, 2018, 11:25:03 PM »
EMP is a "mixed bag" - eBay on steroids!

So - for unclear reasons - most MPs sell there for 50% more than identical eBay auctions.

How do I know? I consigned 1800+ MPs to them in 2013-15, which they auctioned for $140K; almost all MPs sold for substantially more than I paid elsewhere, mostly eBay.

The pattern continues TODAY.

Three months ago an eBay seller auctioned 50+ Universal MPs discovered in the Universal employee lunchroom and I snagged the ET for $250 and Battlestar for $95 and quick-flipped them to EMP for....

So my advice is to buy on eBay and eventually flip to EMP, as I, Holiday, and many others hereabouts have done.

EMP will charge you a substantially higher commission than eBay but they will save you 45 minutes time for EACH consigned poster and it will sell for significantly more.

#thatisall

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Emovieposter proves AGAIN that it is eBay on steroids!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »
Wait a minute, so you are saying that if you find items for well below FMV in one venue you can sell them in another venue for more?!

Amazing!

Does anyone else know about this 100% guaranteed money-making opportunity? 
How soon will you be doing an interview on Bloomberg Finance?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

guest4955

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »

guest4955

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
Here are the top 75 sales from 2013-15:

I did not track purchase price for these, so I don't know exact profit but:

+ I paid $800 for LAC
+ I paid $400 for Pulp Fiction Lucky Strikes

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 10:33:25 AM »
Very impressive, Mel.  I remember when that ET poster came up for sale on Ebay.  I almost went for it and decided not to buy it at the last second because I already own two copies in mint condition.  If I remember the sellet's description correctly, I thought it was in much better condition than "good" (I would have not even looked at it otherwise) so I'm glad I didn't purchased it because it would have probably ended up in the trash.  I now see what you managed to sell it for at Bruce's and I'm baffled.  The same way I'm baffled when people spend $400 on my Avengers Wilding set or $600 on one of my Solo sets.  I would have never been able to get that anywhere else.  So Bruce is and remains #1 in my book.

T
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:35:45 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 10:40:56 AM »
Very impressive, Mel.  I remember when that ET poster came up for sale on Ebay.  I almost went for it and decided not to buy it at the last second because I already own two copies in mint condition.  If I remember the sellet's description correctly, I thought it was in much better condition than "good" (I would have not even looked at it otherwise) so I'm glad I didn't purchased it because it would have probably ended up in the trash.  I now see what you managed to sell it for at Bruce's and I'm baffled.  The same way I'm baffled when people spend $400 on my Avengers Wilding set or $600 on one of my Solo sets.  I would have never been able to get that anywhere else.  So Bruce is and remains #1 in my book.

T

Ha, it's a "mystery wrapped in a conundrum."

I remember infamous Carson sneered at eBay and HA and "only" bought from EMP. There are legions like him there methinks.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »
I'm in!

As soon as I get some Pulp Fiction Lucky Strike Posters for $400, I am definitely going to sell them for more money somewhere else!

Please keep a lid on this untapped income stream for the time being though, if people realize that every poster Bruce sells brings 150% of market value, they either might look elsewhere for material, or else everyone will sell at once.

Should we make reservations for Ibiza now? Lots of opportunities there for you to "bag some babes" as we wildly spend our poster gains
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
Should we make reservations for Ibiza now? Lots of opportunities there for you to "bag some babes" as we wildly spend our poster gains

This made me laugh.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 03:17:53 PM »
how come the list is 2013-2015? why doesn't it go right up to current results?

also, in what world is $1500 for a PF Lucky Strikes a good price?
the lowest I've sold one for in the past 5 years is 1800 and the last one I sold for a 10% discount from my $3495 sticker price
(never mind the quarters I paid for them)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4955

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 02:15:33 PM »
I'm in!

As soon as I get some Pulp Fiction Lucky Strike Posters for $400, I am definitely going to sell them for more money somewhere else!

Please keep a lid on this untapped income stream for the time being though, if people realize that every poster Bruce sells brings 150% of market value, they either might look elsewhere for material, or else everyone will sell at once.

You know, I have absolutely no clue who you are or why you you seem "angry at the world." "Crowzilla"? I checked your website and you oddly don't identify yourself there. Maybe I've forgotten. I went and looked at your last few posts and you shoot your mouth off a lot.

Todd does pay up for material from time to time - when the first set of Son of Kong 1-sheet and 3-sheets surfaced at auction in 2005 (Hollywood Poster Auction), Todd paid over $58,000 for the 3-sheet.  When the B Style Dracula sold for $77,000 at auction in 1993 (an auction record at the time), Todd told me then he had paid $90K privately for the Mummy poster and I have no reason to disbelieve him. I believe he purchased the Bride advance from Harry Thomas and paid a record at that time, of course back then the record was still a four-figure price. But it still takes guts to set a record no matter the year.

I'll forward this to Todd. Maybe he'll "enjoy" your publicly revealing private/sensitive info.

To everybody else, I don't want thoughts/prayers/sympathy but I had to quickly liquidate my collection to pay GINORMOUS medical bills - currently half million, mostly covered by insurance thankfully but I had to pay $35K out-of-pocket. EMP was obviously my best option. I believe APF Founder liquidated his entire collection there too. But that is PUBLIC info.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 09:58:53 PM »
You know, I have absolutely no clue who you are or why you you seem "angry at the world." "Crowzilla"?

you don't who that is?

here's a few hints

he's an author and a poster expert

oh, and he's also a real attorney

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Why has Mel become a guest, has he left the forum again?

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »
Why has Mel become a guest, has he left the forum again?

Yup

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »
I'll forward this to Todd. Maybe he'll "enjoy" your publicly revealing private/sensitive info.

laugh1
He's a crybaby and a tattletale?!

He also read this entirely wrong. Todd purchased the Mummy in a direct transaction (i.e. private sale), and not through an auction. He never tried to hide this fact and was happy to tell everyone at the time about it. I repeated it here for the benefit of newbies that might not have heard the story.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »
laugh1
He's a crybaby and a tattletale?!

He also read this entirely wrong. Todd purchased the Mummy in a direct transaction (i.e. private sale), and not through an auction. He never tried to hide this fact and was happy to tell everyone at the time about it. I repeated it here for the benefit of newbies that might not have heard the story.

Ive also spoken with Todd on the phone and asked about his MUMMY OS transaction and he was happy to talk with me about it, too, as well as how it all came about. An interesting and knowledgeable guy to talk to, for sure.

-Jeff

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
Using crybaby AND tattletale together in the same sentence... brings me right back to 4th grade... thanks for that ;D

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 11:40:31 AM »
Using crybaby AND tattletale together in the same sentence... brings me right back to 4th grade... thanks for that ;D

Thank the guy who thought I was revealing "sensitive" information, and was going to turn me in to teacher. What a riot.
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »

-------

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 02:31:46 PM »
just to say i had a big run in with Mel on "Star Wars Poster Collectors" on FB over the last couple of days as i was calling him out on his self styled expertise and constant sniping of the British. He also bragged about how he was going to flip a Star wars poster and then went down about as well as a fart in a space suit.
Trying to get me in trouble with the moderators too, like a proper crybaby and tattle tale!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 03:34:05 PM »
I don’t think he means any malice regarding the British...it was a joke aimed at the bidders at places like Sotherby’s. I certainly didn’t take any offence. I suggest blocking him if he annoys you that much.

The chap has had a brain injury, I’m not sure why folk don’t cut him a bit of slack, his intentions seem good to me. I’m a bit sad he doesn’t post here anymore.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 04:09:13 PM »
The chap has had a brain injury, I’m not sure why folk don’t cut him a bit of slack, his intentions seem good to me. I’m a bit sad he doesn’t post here anymore.
Totally agree - I have a lot of time for Mel.

Mark

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
just to say i had a big run in with Mel on "Star Wars Poster Collectors" on FB over the last couple of days as i was calling him out on his self styled expertise and constant sniping of the British. He also bragged about how he was going to flip a Star wars poster and then went down about as well as a fart in a space suit.
Trying to get me in trouble with the moderators too, like a proper crybaby and tattle tale!

I didn't know this was you.

-------

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »
I don’t think he means any malice regarding the British...it was a joke aimed at the bidders at places like Sotherby’s. I certainly didn’t take any offence. I suggest blocking him if he annoys you that much.

it wasn't just the Sotherby's stuff, it just wasn't funny and the reason i got so annoyed with him was i took the time to private message him twice to ask him to tone it down and he didn't bother to reply. When he did reply it was "hey you're my no 1 fan". So at that point i decided to call him out in public about it a couple of times.