Author Topic: Barbara Streisand is as likely to sign at I Magnum as I am to buy Beanie Babies  (Read 2875 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
because the discussion is in a dealer promo thread, I can't comment.

so I'm starting this fresh here

pay attention: Barbara Streisand is as likely to sign at I Magnum as I am to buy Beanie Babies.. and I am as likely to buy Beanie Babies as I am to fly to Mars

as a matter of fact, Streisand is known as one of the most uncooperative stars there is when it comes to signing stuff.
I have 5 signed items by Barb, 3 are fake.
I'll be shooting pics later today of stuff for my site, I'll pull out the record album with authentic sigs & shoot that so I can post it and you can see what a real piece looks like

More evidence the one Tang mentioned in the other thread is fake is that it went for a paltry $19
A real signature sells for $300 or more and it is most common to see them priced in the $500 range, or even more depending on what it's signed on,
so clearly, anyone who knows what a real sig is was not bidding. the $19 result should tell anyone they have a fake

So what do you do?

well it's like this, the first thing you do is buy some books. There are authentication books that show real signatures that you can match them against

secondly, unless you are 100% certain that your own expertise helps you determine authenticity - you don't sell them.

I have a short pile of autographs for such stars as Lennon, James Dean, Stooges and others that would be worth lots of money if they were real, but I got suckered for them, sadly in a collection that o/w had real material, so not only are the fakes bad, the rest of the collection becomes suspect by association - that's life! I'll take the beating, rather than shuffle that on to others. Considering that I have thousands of autographed items, it's a drop in the bucket anyway

Looking at that selection the Streisand came from, I can see the suspected work of at least one known faker - known as the Valley Forger (he was in the San Fernando Valley for some part of his 'career') and I'm sure that fakers are taking advantage of dealers from coast to coast & overseas who aren't expert enough to understand what they are offering. You have to be able to tell the difference between authentic, secretarial, auto-pen, printed, fake...

Burt Lancaster used an auto-pen! I have several signed pieces. They look real. The pen head impressed into the paper, it's actual ink... but you can take a stack of Lancasters and find that a good portion of them all have the very same signature (I'll see if I can find them easily, I probably can't this week). Auto-pen at work!

There is material that has a high percentage of likely authenticity - if you have a contract that is signed, it almost certainly real (it could be secretarial for some stars)

People who don't understand autographs really shouldn't be selling them and hand such material off to experts to deal with.
That's the only way that fakers can be affected negatively - you remove the outlet. But factually, there is so much crap out there now, it's pathetic and you probably can't stop the flood.
When I go to the mall and see those stores selling signed stuff I stop at the window and laugh. Brando was notoriously uncooperative, yet these stores have an endless supply of cast signed Godfather posters or cast signed Star Wars posters

There is one thing that any serious dealer CAN DO .... when you sell autographed items, you need to guarantee them for as long as necessary to protect the consumer. That is 100% the protection a consumer deserves

90% of all the autographed material I see in stores are not real, and like that Streisand should be sold as 'faux collectibles' - not authentic signed items.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 04:49:08 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
Theres also a Streisand form letter from '66 , all sigs appears identical......again collectors are fooled by this :(

(was duped by a Tim Dalton preprint recently , not only does he hate signing Bond photos but also non-Bond , at best you can get his sig only on the street.....thats why it doesnt add up with Bondcollectibles offering sgd Dalton on ebay on a semi regular basis)

What makes me angry is when people excuse the dealers when they sell crap : "hes old now so doesnt follow autograph trends , has to buy from dubious sources to make ends meet etc" , a judge wouldve laughed at such an excuse
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:24:15 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
The name of the store is I. Magnin.

You talk about "Barb" like she's your close friend, and know for a fact that she has never signed anything at the said store.  I've seen videos of people autographing stuff that doesn't match their usual style, but of course the videos don't lie.  People's style can change every time they sign something.  That's the tricky part in claiming whether they're legit.

In any case, good recommendations and info. for trying to determine with some potential degree of likelihood whether an autograph is authentic.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:42:02 PM by Neo »

Offline redman

• Collector

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Did you take those pics Rich?

I have a Streisand and two Daltons both genuine from what I can tell. Would be interesting to see how Rich's look.
It's more than a Hobby...

• Hoarder
I've never seen her sign a sloppy autograph , you can always see her traits in the sig.......now if were talking Pacino we might have a case , he cant even be bothered to sign "Al" properly

Dont deal with :

Piece of the Past (West and Ward confirmed in person that they were fake , some items also went "missing" , happened with another guys Rocky Horror items too....nuff said !)

entertainment-sports1967 (rumors of them going over to the dark side)

plattautographs (refuses refund , his parents sold me junk)

David Tadman (manufactures fake Bruce Lee memorabilia ?.....just like Platt he goes into hiding when you ask refund)

• Hoarder
Seems she used form letters from 1964-66 so not just '66 alone  :-\