Author Topic: Plexiglas clarity, plus taping posters to a mount?  (Read 9049 times)

Offline Desk

• Beginner
Plexiglas clarity, plus taping posters to a mount?
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:37:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking at using Plexiglas to frame my next poster, and have received a small sample of what I believe is PlexiGlas XT gallery standard anti-reflective acrylic UV100.

What I notice is that it's rather opaque unless either directly touching or just a couple of millimetres above a poster, when it becomes clear.

Is that usual with Plexiglas/Perspex, or should I expect it to be clear at all distances? If it's normal, then is it okay to have a poster in contact with Plexiglas given it doesn't conduct heat or generate moisture. Would it be clear enough if held a millimetre or two away - say by the thickness of the mount - or will I lose clarity vs glass?

On the subject of mounts, how does one attach a poster to a mount? I've been directed to acid-free linen hinging tape, but I know that a poster has to be able to expand or contract in the heat. How does one attach it with tape to a mount in a way so as to be able to allow it to do that?

Any info very gratefully received.

Best,

Desk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Plexiglas clarity, plus taping posters to a mount?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »
Hi Desk,

When you get a chance, could you maybe post a pic of the plexi sample you got? Maybe lay it on a dark background, so it could be seen easily?

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
My recommendation - having purchased and displayed 125+ XL MP frames - is you don't need UV protection unless you foolishly place your frame in a constantly-sunlit area.

https://www.facebook.com/1422621668021772/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1938634233087177

https://www.facebook.com/1422621668021772/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1936000636683870

My photos are bad but reflection rarely a problem.

Not trying to brag, but these are expensive and look great in economy 100% transparent frames:

More info:

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Framing_%26_Displaying_%26_Storing.html

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 03:47:14 PM »
Hi Desk,

When you get a chance, could you maybe post a pic of the plexi sample you got? Maybe lay it on a dark background, so it could be seen easily?
Here's the plexi at three different distances from an item.

Desk
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 03:57:27 PM by Desk »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
Great images, Desk.

I think your third pic, that is closest to your "test page" shows this would work OK with your framed posters. it looks like sample you have has a slight texture, almost, to it. But it looks to be crystal clear when close to the test sheet. If the price is right, I would consider going with something like this.

And plexi, with even some UV protection, is the way to go, as even indirect lighting (or indirect sunlight) can speed up fading, over time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:17:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 04:04:58 PM »
Desk, here's an older thread that also discusses UV and fading, that you might find interesting or helpful, too:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1955.0.html

-Jeff

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 04:08:37 PM »
Great images, Desk.

I think your third pic, that is closest to your "test page" shows this would work OK with your framed posters. it looks like sample you have has a slight texture, almost, to it. But it looks to be crystal clear when close to the test sheet. If the price is right, I would consider going with something like this.

And plexi, with even some UV protection, is the way to go.
Thanks, Jeff! Yeah, it does have a slight texture, but the benefit is that it doesn't appear to reflect light at all.

I think I'll frame my next poster with that - partly because I'm intrigued to see the result and also it's going to be a bigger frame than the previous ones due to a mount. If that's successful then I may look to reframe my Trek poster and hope it's not been damaged.

In relation to attaching a poster to a mount, would anyone know how you do it so as to allow the poster to 'breathe'. Do you tape one big long strip of hinging tape along the top, or is it attached in sections?

Desk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
Desk, you can tape the 4 corners of the poster (going horizontally) to the mount or mat, to hold the poster in place.

This is how fine art (like etchings or lithographs, for example) are hinged (attached) to a mount or mat, too.  thumbsup.gif

Are you planning on doing the next frame job yourself?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:13:42 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 04:21:38 PM »
Desk, you can tape the 4 corners of the poster (going horizontally) to the mount or mat, to hold the poster in place.

This is how fine art (like etchings or lithographs, for example) are hinged (attached) to a mount or mat, too.  thumbsup.gif

Are you planning on doing the next frame job yourself?
Thanks, Jeff - no, I'm probably not that competent. What I may do is try my framer with explicit instructions about what I want.

The question I now have us whether this Plexiglas XT UV100 is good enough, or whether I'd get a better result with more expensive Acrylite OP-3 as referenced in that thread you kindly linked.

Has anyone experience with them both, or seen them compared?

Desk

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 05:12:17 PM »
Definitely one of the advantages of plexi is that paper under most circumstances won't stick to it, but you should be fine with a thin mat and your poster should still be easily visible.

Don't be a dummy like sundance and assume indoor light won't harm your paper, as it most definitely will. It's just how long will it take to do the damage (which is obviously much longer than if left out in the sun).

Northeast Document Conservation Center has a nice article that includes a section on different indoor lighting and what you need to know.
https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/2.-the-environment/2.4-protection-from-light-damage#nomobile
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
Hi Desk, I strongly recommend using a T-hinge shape with archival cotton mounting tape (a vertical piece from back of mat to back of poster at top left, middle, and top right, and then a horizontal piece on top of the vertical piece on the back of the mat; T-hinge mount can be looked up online).  Okie

guest4955

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 12:30:11 AM »
Get a Ph.D.  :o