Author Topic: MONDO - what are your thoughts?  (Read 8975 times)

Offline TC Poster

• Beginner
MONDO - what are your thoughts?
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:24:55 PM »
Hey everybody,
I love old school posters, hand painted Struzan and Amsel, etc, but what do you all think off the MONDO stuff?
24x36 posters, some are pretty awesome,

TC

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: MONDO - what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 11:26:54 PM »
Mucho Mondo talk and sharing here, too, TC:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:43:38 PM »
Mondo is not as good as it once was when Justin Ismael was running the show.  A lot of their prints are Meh nowadays.  Sub par artists, imo.  A few are good, but they're really far and between.  I find myself buying more and more from other venues and less and less from Mondo.

Here are a few purchased in the past year that I enjoy...

T
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:54:44 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »
So the question is do you think the Mondo posters are done? Seems like they haven't really done anything really great in a while, unlike 6 - 7 years ago when everything Mondo did went through the roof.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
They're not done.  Not yet.  The print world is doing great and Mondo still sells everything it produces within seconds. 

I do believe however that their name has become the selling point, much more than the actual product.  A lot of other venues have far superior art and artists but do not sell as fast.  They should be careful though, because it's not going to last forever.  When 2nd hand sellers realize that they cannot make a profit anymore, and prints sit on Ebay with no buyers, they will move on.  It could happen fairly soon if Mondo doesn't go back to what made them famous and up their game drastically.

So not dead yet, but a little sick for sure.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »
I really dug the Kastel Jaws print recently. That was pretty magnificent.  But yes, fewer and fewer interesting prints.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 10:24:28 PM »
Brie - Exactly my point. The general consensus seems to be Mondo is still selling out, but with less interesting posters. Since Mondo started it all, I would say their plateau for quality and nice graphics was maybe 2 years ago? Examples from others look far more attractive and interesting, to my eye anyway.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »
I've been collecting Mondo gear since 2008.  Probably bought a dozen prints that year.  Then the number went up steadily to something like 40 prints in 2014-2015.   It's been on the decline ever since.  I think I bought 12 prints from them so far this year.  I'm turning my attention to private commissions.  Much, much better stuff.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 11:18:17 PM »
I've been collecting Mondo gear since 2008.  Probably bought a dozen prints that year.  Then the number went up steadily to something like 40 prints in 2014-2015.   It's been on the decline ever since.  I think I bought 12 prints from them so far this year.  I'm turning my attention to private commissions.  Much, much better stuff.

T

Hi T, Do you hire the artist to create a private commission poster just for you?  I'm curious if you get a poster, or the original art, or perhaps both?  Oke

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 11:47:38 PM »
It's private commissions where you basically pay for the product before you see it.  It can take months before you see a glimpse of the final product.  You just have to trust the host, the artist and the title.  I have about 15 prints that I have agreed to buy that I still do not know anything about.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
They're not done.  Not yet.  The print world is doing great and Mondo still sells everything it produces within seconds. 

I do believe however that their name has become the selling point, much more than the actual product.  A lot of other venues have far superior art and artists but do not sell as fast.  They should be careful though, because it's not going to last forever.  When 2nd hand sellers realize that they cannot make a profit anymore, and prints sit on Ebay with no buyers, they will move on.  It could happen fairly soon if Mondo doesn't go back to what made them famous and up their game drastically.

So not dead yet, but a little sick for sure.

T

Agree 100%.