Author Topic: 1975 Original Jaws - Rolled  (Read 14507 times)

guest4981

1975 Original Jaws - Rolled
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
I understand I'm paying for the time/effort someone else spent to acquire the posters not "just the poster" itself.

As someone who's time poor with little interest in spending time hunting rare posters online I'm happy to pay someone for their time and convenience of buying hassle-free, today.

That said, as a newer collector I'd like to know I'm paying a fair value and want to ask your opinion(s) on price of this 1975 rolled Jaws 1sht. Is $2850.00 about right? Thanks.

guest4955

Re: 1975 Original Jaws - Rolled
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
Good Q.

If you check the HA/EMP auction history, as explained on my website, you'll find that ROLLED Jaws 1S posters very rarely come up for auction.

Here's a linen-backed 1S that sold for $900:

Here's a recent folded 1S:

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
I know that Marquee is a member here and I have a question (sorry Matt. Forgot it was you)

why does your site not mention anyone's name, has no phone numbers to contact anyone, no address and the only way to open a door to contact is via the form?

seriously, there isn't even an 'about me' page
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:29:36 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
Everyone knows it is Matt - he even has his picture on the site  8)
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »
Everyone knows it is Matt - he even has his picture on the site  8)

for some reason I didn't recall who. I couldn't find any contact stuff other than the form.
I always recommend having names and bio information available if possible.

where's the link to his pic? I didn't see that either

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »
why does your site not mention anyone's name, has no phone numbers to contact anyone, no address and the only way to open a door to contact is via the form?

seriously, there isn't even an 'about me' page

For starters, my site is a continual work in progress.  I still only have a few hundred of my posters listed -- new content is always my first priority.  My website has lots of needed updates including additional category galleries, an about me page, more blog posts on authentication and photographing posters, etc... Please bare with me while it all gets flushed out over time.

Also, I don't have a physical store.  I guess I could put up the address of my UPS box -- but I'm not sure what that really does for clients, while it will definitely get me a bunch of junk mail!

Thanks for the feedback Rich!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:44:46 PM »
For starters, my site is a continual work in progress.  I still only have a few hundred of my posters listed -- new content is always my first priority.  My website has lots of needed updates including additional category galleries, an about me page, more blog posts on authentication and photographing posters, etc... Please bare with me while it all gets flushed out over time.

Also, I don't have a physical store.  I guess I could put up the address of my UPS box -- but I'm not sure what that really does for clients, while it will definitely get me a bunch of junk mail!

Thanks for the feedback Rich!

sorry if it was a little snarky Matt. Still sipping that first cup of coffee. I couldn't even remember who it was .. lol

But yes, you should actually have some about me and address info on the site. One of the first things people do when they see something of interest is wanting to find out who you are.

I only use my POBox, because I don't have a physical store either. My business license isn't for walk-in biz
I don't get that much junk mail.. as a matter of fact, the amount of junk mail to businesses has decreased considerably over teh past 10 years.. It's spam phone calls you get. about 5 a day

-------

guest4981

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:31:39 PM »
Thanks SundanceKid for actually addressing my question regarding value of the Jaws poster. I appreciate that.

And thank you for the very helpful archived values, and for the helpful resource and overview of collecting. 

guest4981

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 02:03:17 AM »
Anyone one else own one of these or have thoughts on value? aside from random quibble about the website which speaks nothing to the question. Thanks if so.

I know, whether buying a car or a poster, dealers need to tack on room to "work with", just trying to figure out what a solid offer would be. Thank you.

edit: based on the auction results I'd say 2K would be the minimum given the seller's efforts and time and 2500 would be a reasonable offer?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 02:17:20 AM »
I know, whether buying a car or a poster, dealers need to tack on room to "work with"

Newer rolled cars would have a larger mark up, than an old car. Reverse likely true for posters

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 02:24:14 AM »
based on the auction results I'd say 2K would be the minimum given the seller's efforts and time and 2500 would be a reasonable offer?

Maybe offer a bit more than asking, say $3000 but if you need to wiggle, go down 5%. By offering more, the seller, whoever he is might help you out looking for other stuff giving you first dibs, though you might have to again pay above asking price

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 02:58:38 AM »
Anyone one else own one of these or have thoughts on value? aside from random quibble about the website which speaks nothing to the question. Thanks if so.

I know, whether buying a car or a poster, dealers need to tack on room to "work with", just trying to figure out what a solid offer would be. Thank you.

edit: based on the auction results I'd say 2K would be the minimum given the seller's efforts and time and 2500 would be a reasonable offer?

well, Matt is right here (the owner of the site is Harry Caul, who posted above)
why not message him & see what you can wrangle..

-------

guest4955

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 03:43:20 AM »
Thanks SundanceKid for actually addressing my question regarding value of the Jaws poster. I appreciate that.

And thank you for the very helpful archived values, and for the helpful resource and overview of collecting.

Thanks but curious why you really want a rolled 1S? I'd be perfectly happy with an LB 1S like this:

Withe money you save you can buy several more posters (scroll down to Jaws):

www.eatbrie.com/1975-1976.htm

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »
Thanks but curious why you really want a rolled 1S? I'd be perfectly happy with an LB 1S like this:

Withe money you save you can buy several more posters (scroll down to Jaws):

Many people dislike linenbacking, unless it's some super old incredibly rare poster where it's absolutely necessary.

For something like Jaws (of which there are plenty of rolled copies), I'd happily pay the premium for a proper rolled 1sh over a linenbacked folded 1sh.

Linenbacked modern posters suck. There's a near perfect rolled Blade Runner on EMP right now that someone ruined by backing it. I'd be interested in bidding if that weren't the case. I don't get it, really.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 08:50:30 PM »
Many people dislike linenbacking, unless it's some super old incredibly rare poster where it's absolutely necessary.

For something like Jaws (of which there are plenty of rolled copies), I'd happily pay the premium for a proper rolled 1sh over a linenbacked folded 1sh.

Linenbacked modern posters suck. There's a near perfect rolled Blade Runner on EMP right now that someone ruined by backing it. I'd be interested in bidding if that weren't the case. I don't get it, really.

I quite agree, JCM. To back folded or rolled mint, or near mint posters is something I dont get.

Linen backing is a preservation and conservation solution, imho. But I also know that opinions and arguments on this subject vary widely.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »

I couldn't agree more with this, as concerns my own collecting interests

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
In Canada linenbacking is essential to keep posters from freezing to death (fake news) 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 11:46:11 PM »

I wasn't aware there were plenty of rolled copies.  If so, I need to get myself another one.  I only own one rolled and one folded, but I wouldn't mind owning two rolled.

Time to start looking...  thumbsup.gif

T

GO DODGERS
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 04:23:28 AM »
Jaws rolled 1Ss are not "plentiful" by any stretch of the imagination, maybe coming up for auction once a year.

Of course, rolled 1960s/70s one sheets are great but they're really not for general/casual collectors. Frame 'em up and brag to non-collectors that they're "rolled" and they could care less. They'll be just as impressed by a much cheaper folded/LB 1S and with the additional Jaws posters you bought with the money you saved:

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »
Of course, rolled 1960s/70s one sheets are great but they're really not for general/casual collectors. Frame 'em up and brag to non-collectors that they're "rolled" and they could care less. They'll be just as impressed by a much cheaper folded/LB 1S and with the additional Jaws posters you bought with the money you saved:

Of course, if he ever goes to sell then his linenbacked Jaws will just be another face in the crowd and one that will turn off a large number of collectors just because of the fact that it's backed, whereas with a mint rolled copy the only discussion will be on the price.

Halcyon, I think your estimate is fine and I wish you luck in your negotiations.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 03:31:43 PM »
Jaws rolled 1Ss are not "plentiful" by any stretch of the imagination, maybe coming up for auction once a year.

Maybe the same ones keep transferring back and forth, then. I see them for sale often and I put in very little effort.

Off the top of my head over the past 2 years: EMP auctioned two or three... Dave had and sold several on eBay... HA auctioned a few. This isn't including any private sales, shows or forum sales or finds... I specifically remember a few being privately negotiated when I was asking around last year. Let's not forget any of the insane resellers or whatever other rando's on eBay sell them every now and then. I thought Matt (Marquee) had one last year too; I could be wrong there.

Way, way more than one per year. And yes I'm still looking for one to replace my folded copy.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
In Canada linenbacking is essential to keep posters from freezing to death (fake news)

8) 8)
Chris

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »
Maybe the same ones keep transferring back and forth, then. I see them for sale often and I put in very little effort.

Off the top of my head over the past 2 years: EMP auctioned two or three... Dave had and sold several on eBay... HA auctioned a few.

I don't believe this is correct. Looking back at EMP archives I do not see a single unbacked rolled copy sold since 2014, and I don't see one for HA since 2013.

I do see that the 2013 one from HA does have the make an offer feature, so you might be able to purchase it for a price you like.
https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/jaws-universal-1975-one-sheet-27-x-41-horror/a/161321-53263.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »
I see them for sale often and I put in very little effort.

This got me intrigued, so I checked Emovie (3 sold in the past 6 years, none before that) and HA (3 sold in the past 5 years, none before that).

Please let me know the next time you see one for sale, soon I hope.  You must be very good at this and I must be very bad since I never see them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »

What is the purpose of you acquiring one? To frame? To sell? To me the end game of the poster you are in search of makes all the difference in the world.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,