Author Topic: Espresso Beans revision  (Read 9562 times)

guest4955

Espresso Beans revision
« on: September 27, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
EXB is soliciting donations for rebuilding the site:

As a dedicated user of ExpressoBeans.com we wanted to tell you about our plans for our new web site and how you can help make it happen.

ExpressoBeans was conceived over 15 years ago as a user based, easy to use database for tracking individual poster collections and their values. We opened our doors to the world in the spring of 2003 and since then over 80,000 of you have signed up to collect, chat and track prices on hundreds of thousands of pieces of art.

Over the years we have upgraded and patched the original site in an effort to accommodate the exponential growth this hobby has seen over that time. Currently thousands of unique users find their way to us every day and the site just isn’t keeping up with the demands that traffic puts upon it.

We’re working hard to bring you a new, updated and exciting version of the ExpressoBeans site by the end of 2017 but we need your help to fund it.

https://donate.expressobeans.com

I chipped in $25. I rarely use it but I notice they’ve been adding original MPs to their system and they are top-notch for Mondos etc.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Espresso Beans revision
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
I donated too. It's a really valuable site, I'm looking forward to seeing the new look.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
Me too.

The site at times has struggled with the growth. I hope the rebuild sets them on a stable foundation for many years.

I love the way I am able to catalog my collection, and the matchmaker feature helps me to buy and sell prints.

J

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
How do you catalog your collection there?  Do you catalog to sell?  I have never bought a print there as I've heard a few horror stories.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
Hi T,

I use eBeans to help keep track of my print collection. It's marked private so only I can view it. I wish there was something similar available for movie posters.

As a member of the forum, you can add prints to your collection when you are signed in. You can list items for trade/sell. You can list prints you are seeking, and there is a feedback system where one can request feedback after a trade.

When you select "view print" (the window that shows the sales history with the price graph), on the left hand side of the window, there are several choices under Item Options:
Trade or Sell
Add to Wanted
Add to Collection

By selecting one of these options, you can do any of these three things:
Selecting  "Trade or Sell" gives you the option of listing the print at your price in the forum as being available for sale or trade. I am not often a seller, but sometimes I buy something and struggle to understand why I bought it in the first place. Sometimes my taste changes and things that I thought I couldn't live without, are now expendable. Showing the item is for trade, sometimes will get me offers via the forum. Most offers are junk, but I would say on 25% of the offers, I sell something without having to go through eBay.

Selecting "Add to Wanted" means that prints I am interested in will show up on my eBeans homepage. There is a window for eBay tracking when prints on my list show up on eBay, and there is a window for members who have selected the previous "Trade or Sell" option.  This has helped me track down many prints I was looking to acquire conducting private trades or purchases.

Selecting "Add to Collection" allows me to save specific prints to my collection. When I do so, I can indicate the condition, make notes such as the print number, add who I purchased the print from, how much I paid, and when I received the print. I can do this for each item which currently covers 451 prints/handbills/posters.
Another cool thing is that there is a button on 'My Page' titled "Save Collection" which outputs a pdf file of all prints in my collection with all the details I entered when I saved each one to my collection.

I use this for my records and insurance purposes. I have a policy through American Collector's Insurance. Several prints needed to be itemized, and having this feature made it really easy to list the impacted prints.

As far as horror stories go, I have been burned a few times where my definition of minty-prime condition was not shared by my seller, but frankly, that happens to me on eBay about the same frequency.

In general, I have had excellent experiences making trades or purchases through the eBeans forum. As always, caveat emptor. Check a seller's feedback on eBeans. Ask for pictures. Use PayPal. Never send a "gift" payment. Stress good packaging so your print arrives undamaged. Ask for tracking. Suggest insurance to the seller so if there is the "rare" problem, they will be protected. Remind them that you are protected by PayPal.
If any of those requests scare away your seller, that is probably for the better.

If you want more information about how to use eBeans for your print collection, please PM me.

J

guest4955

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
You can avoid/resolve horror stories by paying with PayPal.

Part of the seller fee pays for the excellent dispute resolution process:

https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/security/seller-dispute-resolution

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
Well, I'm not looking for anything, but I'm sure others are, so it's good info, J.  I display my print collection in its own category on my website and I don't sell, so there's that.  There are less than 10 prints that I've missed over the years that I still would like to acquire.  They are all above $500 and although I'd be willing to fork out some cash, I will not go to the level of what sellers want.  I think it's obscene, to be honest.  The artists should be the ones pocketing the money, not some dude in his mother's basement who was lucky enough to purchase the said item.  So I don't visit EB because it upsets me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
The artists should be the ones pocketing the money, not some dude in his mother's basement who was lucky enough to purchase the said item.  So I don't visit EB because it upsets me.

T

There's alot of good people on that forum who hook people up all the time. If you spend more than a few mins there now and again, the rascals as well as the good eggs are easily seen.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,