Author Topic: Photobucket SUCKS ASS! Any other photo hosting site suggestions?  (Read 57461 times)

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
I just got a notice from Photobucket that they are stopping 3rd party hosting---meaning all of the images I have up on this site will no longer be visible...unless I buy their package for $399 per year. SCREW THAT and F-YOU Photobucket. My thread will disappear soon---thank you Photobucket! This totally bites.

Anyone know where else we can migrate that hosts for free?

Thanks!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Photobucket SUCKS ASS! Any other photo hosting site suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:33:10 AM »
I just got a notice from Photobucket that they are stopping 3rd party hosting---meaning all of the images I have up on this site will no longer be visible...unless I buy their package for $399 per year. SCREW THAT and F-YOU Photobucket. My thread will disappear soon---thank you Photobucket! This totally bites.

Anyone know where else we can migrate that hosts for free?

Thanks!

FREE is getting tough.

I suggest for 50-100 a year, you can rent your own shared server and host a website & whatever else you want to between 10-50GB

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »
I just saw this, too.

That's why the forum banner is no longer there.

Nice of them to do this without any email notice or warning.

They are going to have people the world over royally PO'd, more for the fact that it seems to have done without any courtesy warning or reminder to upgrade or lose 3rd party hosting, say after 30 or 60 days, for example.

Lame business practice, for sure.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:40:07 AM »
Im sure the complaints will continue to pour in here, too:

http://blog.photobucket.com/status/

Im not sure which is worse... the kitten gif or the speedometer...  :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:41:41 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:41:44 AM »
And...i've disappeared. Fine! People will be pissed and Photobucket will just go away... I'm NOT paying $400 a year (times 2 as I have 2 accounts!).
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 12:47:58 AM »
Never used photobucket.

I use flickr.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 12:50:11 AM »
FREE is getting tough.

I suggest for 50-100 a year, you can rent your own shared server and host a website & whatever else you want to between 10-50GB

I do this. All my APF photos are stored in a folder there

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 01:15:26 AM »
Here's the timely email that Im sure we all received, time stamped 9:34 PM Pacific Time. Again, something like this should have been sent out a month ago, giving folks the option to upgrade, rather than just sending this out tonight AND disabling everyone's hosted pix,, AT THE SAME TIME.

A very poor business move, imo.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 01:17:13 AM »
Never used photobucket.

I use flickr.

T

I initially used flickr, too. Time to see if that account is still there, or if they dumped it due to inactivity.

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 01:22:17 AM »
I went to the url (www.photobucket.com/P500) indicated in the APF banner replaced image and it seems to go to a users album. I ended up playing whack a mole closing browser pop up windows and had to resort to closing the browser to escape. What a heap of sh!t photobucket appears to be! 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 01:37:38 AM »
Ive already re-instated the APF banner via flickr.  thumbsup.gif

And my old account was still active, too... so all those pics are still there.  whew.gif

I'll replace those images lost with my flickr acc't.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:23:45 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 03:08:07 AM »
Flickr or Imgur are both good in my experience. Free, stable and nice interface too (unlike photobucket).

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 06:56:10 AM »
Does this mean that all hosted images will disappear from forums etc.? That would be horrible.

Photobucket was already almost unusable with all the pop-ups and ads. They also made it very hard to even get hold of the IMG code when using some browsers. I think they were desperate to find ways to make money when Facebook, Google etc. have eaten their lunch. Don't expect the company to survive for much longer.

Flickr does have unlimited storage but has been neglected by the mother company Yahoo for a long time now. Since Yahoo has just been sold to Verizon I would not expect any improvements.

What about Google photos?

guest4955

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 10:51:38 AM »
I'll bethe contrarian.

It's working well for me.

I went ad-free pretty cheap.

I like the slideshow option when u upload pics in an album:

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/HereComesMongo1968/slideshow/Dewey%20Law%20Firm%20Posters

Tried Flickrfirst but preferred PB.

What are 3rd party images?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »

What are 3rd party images?

photos people host on Photobucket, but use to show on other sites, like APF

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4955

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
OkI did not receive the email - ckecked spam and trash too - and my hosted images are displaying onAPF fine so confused. Obviously very few will pay $400 year when Flickr is free and u can get your own site for $10 a month so seems bizarre biz decision

guest4955

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
OK I think I understand what's going on. I started a new PB (TheSundanceKid1968) for free today. You get 10GB free then must upgrade as follows:

So you indeed must upgrade to the $40 month package when you exceed 10GB to get 3rd P hosting.

I have 650 images uploaded taking up only 0.3 GB on my existing acct (HereComesMongo1968) so plenty of free space for most users:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »
I'm only using 0.4 GB of my total free storage, which is nothing.. and my 3rd party hosted pix (or most of them, as some are still sprinkled around) are still gone. So there's more to it than just exceeding one's free limit, I think.

And the fact that some pix of mine that are 3rd party hosted ARE still here seems also very mickey mouse. Why the random, willy nilly "host some pix but not others" action by pb?   hitself dontknow.gif

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:31:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »
And this was the 2nd half of the email received last night:

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 02:06:07 PM »
Jeff, you should contact customer service. Just checked my old posts and 100% are still there, although my account is only a month old.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
I can try contacting them. From that blog link i posted above, it seems, from some entries, that their Cust. Service is pretty shoddy/slow, too...

I think that the amount of Free Storage one gets vs the 3rd party hosting abilities are 2 separate issues.

But it might be worth a try, since some pix are still hosted, while others arent. And Im guessing Ive had my Pb account set up for close to 6 years, now.

And another kicker: Last night, I clicked on the "Contact Customer Service" link to maybe ask a question. I was taken to a 404 error page, saying that particular page could not be found. Now THAT is classy.  :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:21:27 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
From the blog above.. an entry from today, regarding PB's terms of service for Free Accounts:

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
And if these 2 blog entries/explanations are correct, then Pb is actually not doing 3rd party hosting. When we post the URL to a photo that is on thr PBucket site, we are merely hotlinking the image's url. Pbucket is STILL hosting the image, not the forum itself.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:38:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
And it sounds like their customer service dept is ignoring folks, anyhow, and not replying to anyone:

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »
MAGG. This is exactly what happened to me with dropbox several months back. Killed all my posts and my personal collection threads. Sorry bud.