Author Topic: Tyler Stout  (Read 169407 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Tyler Stout
« Reply #175 on: June 16, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »
I laid out all my Durieux prints for a photo to enter some competition recently, it's about a third of the size of this but it was fun seeing them all together.

Post the picture when you get a chance.  I'd love to see it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »
Post the picture when you get a chance.  I'd love to see it.

T

Popped one up in the Durieux thread...it's tiny compared to your tapestry of Stout!

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
Just saw this comment on your pic post and couldn't help but laugh to myself:

Hoarders annoy me. Sell em or hang em!

If he only knew about the non-prints. laugh1
Witty signature goes here.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »
I tried to tell them, but they obviously had zero interest in movie posters.  You've seen the few I posted.  Crickets.  It's funny how print people and poster people are two different beasts.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2015, 11:19:11 PM »
You have a link handy for the pics and reactions, Thierry?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2015, 11:32:54 PM »
I don't know how to link FB.  You have to look for Fans of Tyler Stout.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2015, 01:46:14 AM »
I tried to tell them, but they obviously had zero interest in movie posters.  You've seen the few I posted.  Crickets.  It's funny how print people and poster people are two different beasts.

T

I've noticed that on Tumblr, too.
Iconic movie posters get some traction, but good prints almost always go viral.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:30 PM »
I have 250-300 prints and have never done the math on the pile as I dont really care what they sell for once they land here. It really is mind boggling what people pay for some of these things.

I refuse to pay over 200 for any of them and swallow hard if I ever pay that much.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »

T

They aren't really different at all, there are some of us who collect both original movie posters and screen prints. I have hundreds of  original movie posters collected over the years and have about 300 screen prints plus - collected over say the last 5 years. I must say that I am a great fan of Tyler Stout, he is one of my favourite artists. I must have going on 30 of prints but the very early ones - high on my list - like The Thing, Big Trouble, Bladerunner (my biggest ISO) - I will probably never own them as i can't justify a $1000 plus on what is at the end of the day a piece of thick print. Mind you - there are movie poster collectors who spend 1000s on orignal movie posters! Should I post some on here I wonder?

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2015, 07:43:09 AM »
Don't think anyone has posted these yet. In the last week we have seen two new poster design releases from Tyler Stout which are absolutely amazing! Unfortunately I failed at the drop of the AVengers at Hero Complex Gallery,  they lasted only a few seconds before they sold out. these are now the highest on my ISO list.

First of then, Avengers Screen print, 24 x 36, this is the cast and crew variant edition with Multiple Metallic Inks, limited edition of 160

Secondly we have the variant edition, with Metallic Gold and Silver Inks, limited edition of 350.

And the regular edition, with metallic inks, limited edition of 750.

Original prices, $60 for the reg, $110 for the variant, and the cast and crew was not offerred for sale as it was give away to cast and crew.

These are really amazing but they are already commanding high prices on the bay, you are talking £200 - 250 min for both the variant or regular but I guess these are going to rise somewhat.

The cast and crew version, is gonna be difficuilt for any one to get hold of, there is only one on the bay at the moment and that is $800 and rising.

I just love this edition but not sure I will every be able to afford it. May have to take the plung and at least grab a regular as I don't hold much hope for being successful in the lotto.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2015, 07:49:28 AM »
Also Mondo released Tyler's latest, a new poster for The Goonies at the Mondocon convention. This one is just such an amazing print. The variant was issued exclusive at the convention, the regular edition (which has not been seen yet) will be released on line soon I guess.

Feast your eyes on this beauty then......

24×36″ Variant Edition of 300

For a closer look at the detail.

And here is the only image I could find on the web right now for the colourway of the regular edition.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:03:04 AM by poster art »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2015, 06:12:10 PM »
Updated my collection with some new goodies...  Still working on that third Goonies though.

T

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:13:25 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2015, 07:00:21 PM »
Wow.  That must be one of the world's foremost collections of these, eh?

Speaking of The Force Awakens one sheets/printer's proofs recently, do you think these are in a similar trend, with the demand for them and all?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2015, 08:15:22 PM »
Ahahahah...  It's a collection, nothing less, nothing more.

To answer your question, I have no idea.  I always get my prints at cost and I do not follow trends, so I don't know what they're worth and I don't really care, to be honest, since I don't sell.  Someone on another forum added them up a few months and I was floored.  People are crazy.  What I know is that you will be able to pick up a Star Wars OS for less than $50 in no time.   I also know that based on what the guy told me, Stout prints have gone up in value drastically.  The guy does have a genuine following, people like me who enjoy his art.  He also tackles a lot of fanboy titles, which helps his prints retain their value.  SW is just hype.  How long it will last is hard to tell, but it's hype.

As for the printer's proofs, I really have zero interest in them, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

T
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:54:36 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
Ahahahah...  It's a collection, nothing less, nothing more.

To answer your question, I have no idea.  I always get my prints at cost and I do not follow trends, so I don't know what they're worth and I don't really care, to be honest, since I don't sell.  Someone on another forum added them up a few months and I was floored.  People are crazy.  What I know is that you will be able to pick up a Star Wars OS for less than $50 in no time.   I also know that based on what the guy told me, Stout prints have gone up in value drastically.  The guy does have a genuine following, people like me who enjoy his art.  He also tackles a lot of fanboy titles, which helps his prints retain their value.  SW is just hype.  How long it will last is hard to tell, but it's hype.

As for the printer's proofs, I really have zero interest in them, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

T

Good points.

Yeah, the estimated sales price for all the Stout prints, that the dude at the other place calculated, is astounding.

If you've made the decision to not sell your collection, regardless of how high the current market is, then that's cool.   cool1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »
Well, I'm sure you know by now that I don't sell anything.

Beyond that, I also believe that any profit made from a print should go to the dealer and to the artist.  All these people making a tidy profit over someone else work, just because they pushed a button at the right time, it kinds of disgust me, to be honest with you.  So I have traded a few prints, but I have never sold any.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
Well, I'm sure you know by now that I don't sell anything.

Beyond that, I also believe that any profit made from a print should go to the dealer and to the artist.  All these people making a tidy profit over someone else work, just because they pushed a button at the right time, it kinds of disgust me, to be honest with you.  So I have traded a few prints, but I have never sold any.

T

Yeah, I know you've said that.  However, when there was the talk of The Force Awakens printer's proof a few days ago, and you mentioned how much that could currently sell for, I figured it's kinda similar to this vast collection of works from Stout.  Especially as you have some of the most in demand titles and all, similar to The Force Awakens printer's proof, and the current market for them is somewhat mind-boggling, IMO.  I wondered at what height of the market you may consider selling.

Anyway, I agree, that the whole "flipping" part about prints is really lame.  Unfortunately, it's just part of the game.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
No height of any market is high enough.  Not selling at all.  I actually enjoy my collection, even if it's from a distance, since I don't frame anything.  Look, I'm not in this hobby to sell and make a profit.  If I did, I'd chose a different hobby because you'll never get rich from movie posters.  I'm in this hobby because I love movies and I enjoy collecting.  Period.  Others will think differently.  Don't care, to each his own.  I enjoy looking at my website and seeing my growing collection.  As long as I keep enjoying it, I'll keep collecting.

As far as The Force Awakens printer's proof, I personally don't see any relevance.  I don't understand the purpose of printer's proofs in general and I don't understand why people collect them.  Again, personal opinion.  I don't think any of my friends understand why I collect posters.  They do other things that I don't understand.  I'm not judging, I know what makes me happy.  Again, to each his own.  Tyler's prints have shown their collectibility over 7 years now.  Only time will tell if your Force Awakens printer proof holds its value.  I'm betting against it.

T
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:41:08 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2015, 10:02:58 PM »

As far as The Force Awakens printer's proof, I personally don't see any relevance.

similar to The Force Awakens printer's proof, the current market for them is somewhat mind-boggling, IMO.

That was the only relevance I saw.  

Just to note, here's the The Force Awakens printer's proof thread: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10248.msg192963.html#msg192963

I didn't realize Stout's prints have been in such high demand for as long as 7 years, however, the figure that the guy calculated at the other place, for all of Stout's works, is the current market value.  

I'm also not much of a seller with this stuff, and ultimately, I'm not concerned about the crystal ball predictions and all.

In any case, after the derailment of this thread, congrats on the new acquisitions.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:44:57 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »
He's got a cool style (reminds me of paint by numbers), but from a distance, all his stuff looks a lot the same (imho).

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2015, 11:42:20 PM »
That's what a lot of people think but I completely disagree.  Ultimately, taste (or the lack of) doesn't have to be justified since it's all in the eye of the beholder.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2015, 11:44:52 PM »
True enough.

And why art (of any kind) will generate a broad spectrum of views and opinions.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »
...Tyler's prints have shown their collectibility over 7 years now.

Yes, I have never seen an hint of an imminent beanie baby style collapse that a few commentators have predicted over a similar period of time. Anyone who has handled these prints will appreciate their quality and the limited print runs help sustain demand. Given a burgeoning interest from a new generation in collecting art prints I believe early Tyler Stout prints in particular will remain a very sound investment for their original purchasers.

Mark

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2015, 07:03:26 PM »
Yes, I have never seen an hint of an imminent beanie baby style collapse that a few commentators have predicted over a similar period of time. Anyone who has handled these prints will appreciate their quality and the limited print runs help sustain demand. Given a burgeoning interest from a new generation in collecting art prints I believe early Tyler Stout prints in particular will remain a very sound investment for their original purchasers.

Mark

Agree completely.
But I'd also like to add that Tyler's work gets better and better with each piece.
His art used to bore me, but I've changed my tune.
I believe his best is yet to come.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »
Agreed also.  It does, it has and it will.  I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to change his style completely and try new things in the future.

For my money, though, there is still nothing better than his The Thing print.  A perfect combination of title and art.

T

My Personal Collection