Author Topic: Tyler Stout  (Read 169292 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Tyler Stout
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
I think the guy deserves his own thread.  He's my personal favorite, so that's what you get.

Anyhow, his "Let the Right One In" poster goes on sale tomorrow, thru lottery.  Both regular and variant.  He has about 250 posters for sale.

http://tstoutinfo.blogspot.com/2010/08/let-right-one-in-poster-sale.html

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

Re: Tyler Stout
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »
I think TS is very talented and he has done some great posters .. BUUUUTTTTT ,, there are time I think he should self edit .. and pull away from the now expected cramming of every major and big supporting characters likeness onto a single piece of paper .. I mean if he likes them all that much do a series and showcase the characters properly ! .. Just my $.02

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »
No doubt he is very talented.... but I have to agree with fallen...his art is just a bit too busy for me...
Sometimes less is more, y'know?

I do really like this LET THE RIGHT ONE IN piece. It seems to really capture the mood of the film.

T, do you have other examples of his work to post other than Alamo prints?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »
It really is a catch22, once you are known for something, if you try to stray from that then you do not please your core audience. I say stick with it he obviously has a huge following.

I will say, to me, his art looks like the old fuzzy posters you would buy with the 4 markers to color; but what the hell, I thought those were cool  ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:43:31 AM »
T, do you have other examples of his work to post other than Alamo prints?

Only what I already own... http://www.eatbrie.com/Mondo.htm

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:01:01 AM »
Brude

Here is a pretty good list of his movie work. I don't own everything though so there are a few missing plus this new one.

My Tyler Stout Collection

guest8

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 07:41:52 AM »
I have this non-film related piece ..

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:56:47 AM »
is it me or does every poster look exactly the same...
i find that its getting boring, for some reason whenever i look at a poster it has the title 70-75% down the page and heads plasterd all over it like mount rushmore.. every time.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:46:17 AM »
Thanks Thierry, Chad for the galleries. I can certainly see the attraction. He is extremely talented.

My favorite I think might be the non-film piece that fallen has posted above.  Very dramatic. What are the dimensions on that one?

guest8

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
Its only 5" x 5" but priced accordingly ... there is a gold version as well .. i think the gold had a smaller run and was slighty more expensive (typical for a variant) but i liked the red better.:)

guest8

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
If you do a search for stout on postersandtoys.com it shows about 80 different stout pieces non.film film and gig posters. Obvioulsy most are sold out but it looks like some are in stock.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Yeah the Red one is better. I have this piece too, but I don't list it on my website as it's not movie related. Very cool art though that is for sure.

My attraction to Tyler's work is this. A lot of these movies I really really really enjoy. And if you are a big fan of them when you look through the collage you see things from the movie that are usually small in detail and hidden in the artwork. To me it's like anyone who really knows the film well will get these things. Plus his artwork is really good.

I agree the less is more, but that is what I can buy from someone else, which is what makes this hobby cool. Olly Moss is no Tyler Stout, but both make some kick ass shit. You have to appreciate them for what they are. Picasso and Van Gogh are different people with different styles, but when I go to the art museum and see their stuff on the wall, I can appreciate their style and hard work.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
Fallen, thanks for the link.  I've never been there before and it is an eye opener. "Migration" is a kick-ass piece.

Chad, well put.  Over the years, I have taught many youngsters who want to draw that there are many different styles, most with great merit despite their different approaches.

Now, methinks I will have to pick up "Migration" ...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
At the end of the day, it's all in the eye of the beholder.  But if I had to frame one print of all the ones I own, it would be, with no hesitation...

Great movie and great design.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »
is it me or does every poster look exactly the same...
i find that its getting boring, for some reason whenever i look at a poster it has the title 70-75% down the page and heads plasterd all over it like mount rushmore.. every time.

I try my best no to post anything on these threads because it would be too negative all the time,different strokes for different folks i guess.

Stew

scartacus

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
I'm curious. How much money do you think Stout's pulling in a year from these posters? Anybody want to hazard a guess? 50k 100k a year more? What kind of percentage would he make on a poster?

treegate

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
It is very kind for Chad and T to give me one of their Stout "Thing" posters, that is VERY kind of both you. Please? Please? Please?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 04:15:40 PM »
Ah!  Sorry, Jon, I could part with a lot of things, but not any of my Stouts, and certainly not The Thing.  This said, they do pop up on Ebay from time to time, and I know you have deep pockets, Jon.  The last 4 regular sold for $700+. 

T
My Personal Collection

Freefall

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 08:09:55 PM »
Was anyone lucky enough to get picked up on the lottery?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 09:17:48 PM »
I got one. I bought the standard version, I think the red made the print pop more and the glow areas of the variant didnt excite me all that much. The quad version is too big to store in the portfolio's.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 10:04:08 PM »
I got picked too.  I ended up getting the quad although the price was a little steep.

I agree with Dale about liking how the red makes the poster stand out a little more.

I'm curious. How much money do you think Stout's pulling in a year from these posters? Anybody want to hazard a guess? 50k 100k a year more? What kind of percentage would he make on a poster?
I don't know, but  probably not all that much.  He was selling the regular version for $45.  After printing costs, how much does he make on something like that? I have always found it weird how the secondary market works for stuff like this, but if Il Grande Lebowski sells for $700 on eBay, it's not like Tyler is getting a cut of that.  I am sure he and other artists do fine, but I don't think you get rich making posters unless you sell them for more than $45 or stash some away and cut them loose after the fact if you need a few bucks.

John

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
I was kind of thinking about it today. I think Tyler Stout is like a Kobe Bryant of posters. The things that make people hate his work are the same things that make others love his work.

Freefall

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 11:13:40 PM »
Grats to both you. I was hoping I get picked but no luck. Maybe I'll scan ebay to see the flippers do their thing.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:23 PM »
I was kind of thinking about it today. I think Tyler Stout is like a Kobe Bryant of posters. The things that make people hate his work are the same things that make others love his work.

So, do you love Kobe now?

Man, I can't wait for basketball season to begin.

T
My Personal Collection

Freefall

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »
And there's already one on ebay for 200.00. Geez!