Author Topic: Favorite Purchases of 2016  (Read 52174 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Your FAVORITE purchases of 2016
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
Mine is late to the party arriving yesterday December 27th.  Doubling my most expensive poster purchase prior to this - a 1914 World War 1 Canadian Wartime Exhibition poster by J.E.H. McDonald who later became a founding member of the famed Canadian artists called the Group of Seven.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
That is absolutely beautiful Vick.
 clap clap clap clap

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 05:42:27 PM »

This was from the Estate of Christopher Lee - I only wanted the poster but the 32 undoubtedly authentic signatures had to come with it.

Not really into signed things but from the estate of Christopher Lee, you know that one is proper, wow. That is awesome.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 11:49:38 AM »
Mine is late to the party arriving yesterday December 27th.  Doubling my most expensive poster purchase prior to this - a 1914 World War 1 Canadian Wartime Exhibition poster by J.E.H. McDonald who later became a founding member of the famed Canadian artists called the Group of Seven.

SPECTACULAR VICK!!!
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 08:42:04 PM »
That is absolutely beautiful Vick.
 clap clap clap clap

SPECTACULAR VICK!!!

thanks gents.  Just like most of the paper on this thread, evidently its been a good year for many.
What I would appreciate most in 2017 are more stories behind the posters. i know many are keen to protect their sources but getting some insights on those special posters along with the pics would be great, i.e. the chase, closin the deal etc.  This one for me comes from an estate sale in riverside, California.  I knew it would sell quickly on ebay and made a pretty good offer within 24 hours of it being listed.  We ended up going back and forth in a flurry of about 30 emails until we settled outside of ebay.  A lot of cash, but, NEVER would I get the opportunity to own this poster again.   

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 09:00:29 PM »
Right on, Vick.

It's always great to hear about "the score", and added info. about the poster, movie, etc.  Them estate sales, unknown auctions, et al. can have some real treasures, and of course sometimes really great prices for buyers.  Probably why we don't hear about people who win in a big way from them very often.  Lawl.  The more is not always the merrier, if you're the buyer at joints like that.

In any case, most folks' wins aren't so "special", when they're from the places like eBay, eMovie, and/or places relatively easily found online.  Personally, I like to mention the sellers' names a lot of times, for various reasons, but of course not everyone shares that sentiment.  Hopefully you've inspired some people to share their stories.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 01:40:09 AM »
Vick, I forgot to say - 30 emails back and forth, eh?  That sounds like some serious haggling!  Pretty cool that y'all were able to eventually make a deal.

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »
Some great purchases this year!

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 12:14:46 PM »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
Vick, I forgot to say - 30 emails back and forth, eh?  That sounds like some serious haggling!  Pretty cool that y'all were able to eventually make a deal.

yep, I actually went back and counted them... 31 emails.  The poster had previously been framed and after purchasing it from the estate, he had moved it flat and since kept it flat.  It took a few emails to convince him that he could roll it, which he was terrified to do at first (he had limited knowledge of posters etc).  We also haggled on price quite a bit, shipping method, customs declaration etc.   thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 09:44:39 PM »

Nice, Mike!

And right up your alley.  >:D

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2017, 02:32:33 AM »

Truly beautiful poster.

And Matt's Frankenstein is also a stunner.

Many other great posters this past year too from the other forum members.

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2017, 02:35:17 AM »
I am going to cheat a little. I already posted this one in January 2017 latest acquisitions threads since I got it in the mail today, but really I purchased it in December.

It definitely makes my list of personal favorite purchases of 2016.  You don't too often find a poster that is travel advertising and war propaganda at the same time.

Also, I want a shirt like Mexico guy has.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
That is a beauty Deke.
Do you have any info on the artist responsible?
 cheers

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 10:18:46 AM »
That is a beauty Deke.
Do you have any info on the artist responsible?
 cheers

Thanks! There is no signature on the poster. I haven't done any serious googling yet to see if I can figure out who did the artwork. If anyone knows, let me know!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »
JASON---OOoooo many goodies there. I particularly like the FRIDAY THE 13TH and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET...Stunning!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2017, 03:18:38 PM »
Someone should send that poster to Trump as a reminder
Chris

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »
Four personal faves I got from Rich (MPB) this year, all rolled and in better condition than described:

Alien (Killian RR) - always wanted this one

Hellboy (1sh, Heavy Stock Struzan) - replaced a regular advance with this

Return of the Jedi (1sh, Studio Style) - upgrade from a fair/good folded 1sh

Pulp Fiction (1sh) - upgrade from a fair/good teaser

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
Four personal faves I got from Rich (MPB) this year, all rolled and in better condition than described:

Wow!  You got quite a haul yourself this past year. Bravo!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »

I am happy to help and happier that you're pleased!
 sm1

Deke.. that is a great poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 01:52:26 AM »
Some really nice stuff by all.  This one takes the cake imo.  I don't collect this sort of things, but if I did, it would be first on my list.  Nice.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »
Some really nice stuff by all.  This one takes the cake imo.  I don't collect this sort of things, but if I did, it would be first on my list.  Nice.
T

Thanks T. thumbsup.gif   I am finally starting to have a semblance of the collection I wanted when I started this hobby about 5 years ago.

Oddly enough, a friend of a colleague of an acquaintance sought me out a couple of weeks ago, having in storage about 20 boxes of movie posters from the 50s-80s he bought when a local comic book store closed about 15 years ago.  I met him at Burger King he had a couple of sampler boxes, and gave him the rundown of what he had, what to look for, size, year, condition etc, and more importantly how to go about selling them.  I must have talked for an hour straight and really had a blast teaching him about it all while literally unfolding 100 posters one after the other in the booth there. He didn't have anything crazy, but there were some neat picks y'all are likely to see at an auction house near you. My knowledge is extremely limited compared to many (see most) on APF but its funny that through word of mouth, i've become somewhat of a local expert on vintage posters.  No shit!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 01:20:37 AM »
My knowledge is extremely limited compared to many (see most) on APF but its funny that through word of mouth, i've become somewhat of a local expert on vintage posters.  No shit!

You're shitting me... good on you  thumbsup.gif

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2017, 02:56:08 AM »
Oddly enough, a friend of a colleague of an acquaintance...

laugh1