Author Topic: Don't _EVER_ use ebay GSP!!!  (Read 55475 times)

Offline Rideauwrangler

• Beginner
Re: Don't _EVER_ use ebay GSP!!!
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2019, 08:40:56 AM »
I had to chime in on this one. The Global Shipping Program is one of the worst and immoral scams ever concocted to screw people out of money. eBay "sells" the program to sellers in the UK and USA as a convenient way to ship goods internationally but it is nothing but a way to rip off buyers of their hard earned cash. 

As a Canadian, the GSP collects customs duties up-front that I am required to pay by law when importing goods to the country....one problem though; Canada's Customs and Boarder Services Agency (or jack-booted-commie-tax-collecting-pigs as I like to call them), will not charge ANYTHING, zilch, nothing, nadda, on imported goods valued under $100. However, when using the GSP Pitney Bowes collects "customs, duties, and fees" on everything no matter the value in the name of the Canadian government; BUT my own government would not collect the same. Wonder what happens to that money? To make it even worse, when these customs/duties/fees are legitimately due, Pitney Bowes collects an average of 300% MORE $$$ than what my government would actually charge me.

I refuse to buy anything that ships using the GPS because it is a complete an utter rip-off! 9 times out of 10 I find UK and USA sellers will ship to me directly after I explain why I can not, and will not, buy anything using the "program". However there remains some people, some very lazy people, who refuse spend the 30 seconds it takes at the post office to fill out a customs declaration sticker, and will only use the GSP.

All I can say is PLEASE DO NOT USE IT!!!

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2019, 04:42:54 PM »
100% agree!

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2019, 03:11:34 AM »
What even is the benefit of the GSP?  I mean, you still have to package your item and send it somewhere, right?  Why not send it directly to the buyer? 

Even if I'm missing some benefit in the equation, I think the negatives in the fine print shared here far outweigh any possible benefit. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »
What even is the benefit of the GSP?  I mean, you still have to package your item and send it somewhere, right?  Why not send it directly to the buyer? 

Even if I'm missing some benefit in the equation, I think the negatives in the fine print shared here far outweigh any possible benefit.

I dont think there are ANY benefits in using GSP.

Problem is, this option is selected by default, when creating a listing, so if someone isnt careful by UN-checking the GSP box and then selecting their own shipping method, both the seller and buyer are at the mercy of of the GSP monkeys who may open and rifle thru a parcel before sending it on.  eyeroll

Be sure and UN-CHECK that GSP box, before listing a poster (or any item) for sale!!

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2019, 06:31:11 AM »
I dont think there are ANY benefits in using GSP.

Problem is, this option is selected by default, when creating a listing, so if someone isnt careful by UN-checking the GSP box and then selecting their own shipping method, both the seller and buyer are at the mercy of of the GSP monkeys who may open and rifle thru a parcel before sending it on.  eyeroll

Be sure and UN-CHECK that GSP box, before listing a poster (or any item) for sale!!

But why are sellers praising this thing now? Found an auction and it had this in it?

“NOTE: International shipping through the eBay Global Shipping Program ONLY. If your delivery address is not in one of the countries included in the Global Shipping Program, and you purchase this item, the sale will be cancelled forthwith.“

Well, he’s lost a sale for that! Pure stupidity if you ask me. The price of item is 120, shipping is 32, import fee 16. So what’s the point?
Further, you can not! Can not! Add items together in the same order, so you will be charged that shipping cost and import fee per item...

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »
I agree with you, Big Mike.  If you are not able to combine orders to save on international shipping and fees, that is rough for both buyers and sellers.  Okie

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2019, 06:52:14 PM »
Many sellers fear filling out simple customs forms for some odd reason
Chris

Offline kubu

• Beginner
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2021, 12:32:40 PM »
I usually try to avoid the ebay global shipping for the reasons discussed frequently here. Now I'd like to share my experience. I was very happy to be able to purchase on ebay a incredibly rare poster (I didn't even know of its existence) located in Washington/USA and the seller accepted transatlantic shipping only via ebay global shipping. The first time in my "career" the poster has arrived at the global shipping center in Erlanger and has been restricted. No explanation was given neither to me nor the seller. The seller was allowed to keep the money I have paid him and I have been fully reimbursed by ebay. So no financial loss but I was heavily frustrated as the poster appeared lost forever.

A few weeks later the very same poster popped up on ebay with the same photos and same listing text (price + 20% than original listing) by the user 8ten1944 located in Michigan but with no international shipping option. I changed the shipping address to a friend of mine in California who received the poster safely and will forward it to me.

I was puzzled and did an online research and found several similar stories. So I can conclude that probabely all restricted goods are not destroyed but handed over to that company in Michigan for reselling in the domestic market. They even receive photos and text. So if ever you loose something because of a restriction follow the user 8ten1944 and if lucky repurchase your item but give them a local adress that can forward you the item directly.