Author Topic: Your Latest Graphic and Fine Art Buys  (Read 231638 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Your Latest Graphic and Fine Art Buys
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2019, 01:41:55 PM »
I agree. A green Devil doesnt suit, and I would have gone with the red version, too.

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2019, 06:46:27 PM »
I found this hobby much too late in life. And then I found there were a few prints that I missed by years - prints I really, really wanted. After finding the original prices for these prints, and discovering the flippers' outrageous markup, it hurt to buy from them. A lot. But I'm always looking, and now and then I find a seller who's willing to negotiate. And here's where T swears he'll never buy from them - and I understand. But dammit, there are those few images I can't get out of my head. This is one of them. It's over five years old, but new to my collection. And yeah, I paid too much. And I don't care.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
Well, if you can’t avoid it...

Posters are one thing, they belong to studios, corporations, and if people want to make a profit out of selling extras, more power to them.  Like with everything else in this world, there will always be a few individuals/dealers who just rape the system by outrageously increasing their profit margin.  They will never get my business.

But prints are very limited, and they really belong to the few boutiques and artists who make them.  I hate seeing a print go on for sale, a bunch of true collectors miss it, and half of the prints suddenly pop up on eBay so that a bunch of greaseballs can make a few extra bucks.  I own more than 600 prints now, and I have only purchased a dozen on EBay.  I’m proud of that.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »
I've let a lot of them go - I mean the idea that I have to own them. There only a few more that I'm obsessed with - the Horkey/Zouravliov Dracula, Kurtz's Ex Machina foil, and his Clockwork Orange variant (which I've finally added). Of course there are lots of Durieux prints I'd like but will never have, but every now and then I see one at a price I can't pass up.

I'm just now learning about the various galleries and private artists, and how to get alerts when the drops occur. Finding and following EB is really putting a hole on my pocket, but at least I'm buying at original cost - and the money goes to the artist.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2019, 03:52:36 PM »
There are so many prints out there, if I miss one, I move on to the next one.  They are not that important to me, which is also why I don’t go to EB.  People freak out over a little piece of paper and it freaks me out.

There are about 10 prints I’d like to add to my little collection, but all are in the $1000s and I refuse to pay the mark up.  Like I said, I move on.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »
I've bought <15 from secondary market too...I also prefer to get them at source or move on to the next one.

Being in the UK, I miss out on the drops that happen at gallery shows/conventions, so sometimes that stings a bit (a kind friend does help me out when he can). There are a few I'd like, maybe one day I'll trade for them one day.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
I have a great friend who is extremely connected and knows everyone.  That helps a lot.  I don't follow the market at all, so he's the one who informs me of upcoming drops or private commissions I might be interested in.  He also goes to galleries and buys extras for me.  I probably bought at least 100 prints with his help.  He never asks for anything in return, so I buy him lunches when we get together and I've gifted him a few extras over the years.

But yes, I agree, trading is the only way to go.  No money exchange.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2020, 06:08:09 PM »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
Hi Mahmudf, Interesting artist angle choice on The Warriors with most of the characters facing away from us.  It somehow works, though.  Cool color choices, too.  Okie

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #184 on: February 29, 2020, 04:14:10 AM »
Nice one, Mahmudf! That a tough one to find these days. I really like Tomer Hanuka’s work, the slightly surreal quality makes his designs really stand out.

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #185 on: February 29, 2020, 05:55:52 AM »
Thanks guys, I do like the cartoonie look to it. Looks like a piece of comic art.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2020, 12:36:30 AM »
Just in, Alvin Blade Runner regular and foil AP.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #187 on: June 29, 2021, 10:35:22 PM »
There’s a lot of good looking pieces here. I’ve been collecting more prints lately. Been in a few private commissions. Still currently in a few. The only thing I hate about private commissions is the turn around time. But it’s the waiting game if I want it bad enough.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2021, 11:05:41 PM »
Once you have it, you have it.  Sometimes I wait a year for stuff.  I personally don't really care.  I know it will come to me at some point.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Tazerface

• Beginner
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2021, 09:03:59 AM »

Hi everyone. Here’s my recent Gabz acquisition. I’m new to the alternative poster art scene but I’m hooked. Mine is the regular version that I got from Gabz’s site, so numbered/signed.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2021, 11:15:02 AM »
One of my favorite horror movies.  Nice print, Tazer.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2021, 01:00:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Tazerface!

I regret not grabbing that Gabz, the printing on it looks sharp and it’s a really cool image.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2021, 02:19:34 PM »
Great American Werewolf print, Tazerface! I like that wolf way better than the one in the movie.  I think it's a great movie, too!  Okie

Offline Tazerface

• Beginner
« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2021, 05:15:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Tazerface!

I regret not grabbing that Gabz, the printing on it looks sharp and it’s a really cool image.

I missed out on the original Vice Press release because it sold out instantly. Gabz is selling the Artist Print on his site, signed and numbered. Costs a little more, especially with postage tacked on, but worth it if you missed the VP release.