Author Topic: Mexican Propaganda  (Read 14669 times)

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
Mexican Propaganda
« on: February 28, 2016, 03:50:08 PM »
I bought this bound volume of the magazine "Inter-American Monthly" which was published during the WWII years.

The magazine has features on events, destinations, folkways, etc of the various countries of Central and South America, presumably with the (unstated) intent of promoting hemispheric solidarity and cooperation with the USA.

The December 1942 issue has a short article on the "Propaganda War in Mexico" which reproduces some of the propaganda poster art.  Note that Mexico had entered the war on the side of the Allies in May 1942, but before that a large segment of conservative/Catholic Mexican society was sympathetic to the Fascist cause.

I have a small but growing collection of pro-Allied Mexican propaganda.  Pro-Axis stuff is virtually impossible to find (even in museum collections).  I read one source which claimed that Allied agents in Mexico were very efficient at destroying Fascist-produced propaganda.  So it's interesting to see one example of a Mexican anti-Semitic poster reproduced in the magazine as the original may no longer exist.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mexican Propaganda
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
Powerful and disturbing images, there, Deke, especially the first, b/w one of the 3 people with the nooses around their necks.  :o

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:03:03 PM »
Some of my propaganda posters I've previously shared in the Latest Acquisitions section:

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:03:58 PM »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:23:49 PM by DekeThornton »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:22:07 AM »
These posters were produced by the US Govt, but I am posting them here since they were designed by a Mexican artist (Bernal) and intended for distribution in Latin America (including Mexico).

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 12:30:38 AM »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »
Very cool poster there Deke.  Good choice for mounting up where everyone can see it. Did you buy it like that?

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
Very cool poster there Deke.  Good choice for mounting up where everyone can see it. Did you buy it like that?

Yes, I bought it framed like that.  I really like the modern design and bold colors of the poster.  I do find the "No Estamos Solos" slogan mildly amusing. Not to diminish Mexico's contributions during WWII, but I doubt anybody in Mexico forgot that the USSR, USA, UK etc were also fighting the Axis powers.

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »
Back in April I got this "Corrido de Stalingrado" poster, which I first learned about from the 1942 magazine article mentioned at the top of this thread.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:40:27 PM by DekeThornton »

TheDude

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 09:41:49 PM »
Back in April I got this "Corrido de Stalingrado" poster, which I first learned about from the 1942 magazine article mentioned at the top of this thread.

That is spectacular! Such great imagery.