Author Topic: Paddle 8  (Read 9287 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Paddle 8
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
Well - they are crap.

I was interested in the French Dr No petite which had a starting price of $1800.  It was based in the UK.  It is linked below.  Their 'business model' operates by leaving the items based at the sellers' sites and only the photos and a bit of blurb are posted up on Paddle's site about the item.

https://paddle8.com/work/boris-grinsson/88863-dr-no/

After I decided not to bother about the poster, there was an ensuing conversation asking after the details that were just NOT forthcoming during the auction, and only really available after much pressing for information.

In their advert, they said, tape marks to all four corners, surface paper loss in the bottom right corner, linen backed with no restoration.

My questions, and their answers today, are below.

- Has it been de-acidified and bleached prior to linen-backing?
We purchased it in this state from a person who had bought it as is himself from Christies a while ago. So we cannot confirm its treatment prior to linen-backing. However the paper looks stable, with no foxing, etc and the colours are strong.

- Is it definitely backed on linen rather than paper?
It is backed on paper and then linen (as is standard).

- Is there a linen border around the poster, and if so, what size?

No - the linen has been trimmed to the poster

- Is there any actual tape residue remaining on the poster or only staining?
No, we cannot see any tape residue, just staining

- Please confirm location and dimensions of paper loss
There is paper-loss in the following margin areas:
Top left approx. 1 x 1/2 an inch
Top right approx. 1 1/2 x 1/2 an inch
Middle left approx. 2 x 1/3 inch
Middle right approx. 2 x 1/3 inch
Bottom right approx. 3 x 1/2 inch

None of this was in their blurb during the auction which in my world, lays claim for misrepresentation.  And none of it was forthcoming prior to auction, even subsequent to questioning.

I am quite frankly disgusted.  Thank God there is a Bruce in the world...

Question, is paper backing and then linen backing 'standard'?  For my part, I have never heard of this.

Really really unimpressed.  And my thoughts have been passed on to this effect.  Buyer, beware.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: Paddle 8
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »

- Please confirm location and dimensions of paper loss
There is paper-loss in the following margin areas:
Top left approx. 1 x 1/2 an inch
Top right approx. 1 1/2 x 1/2 an inch
Middle left approx. 2 x 1/3 inch
Middle right approx. 2 x 1/3 inch

Bottom right approx. 3 x 1/2 inch

Now that you have this info you can barely see it on the picture and we know what we are looking for :)  
And the middle descriptions dont appear to be paper loss just staining there. but the Top Left Top Right look like someone cutout the paper where the tape was in the white border.  and the Bottom right is in bad shape.  Its surprising the description details nothing and you had to try hard to get a description.  
another link to see it again --->https://paddle8.com/work/boris-grinsson/88863-dr-no/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:59:17 PM by jedgerley »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:20:52 PM »
Question, is paper backing and then linen backing 'standard'?  For my part, I have never heard of this.

Are they referring to mounting the poster to Japanese masa paper which is then mounted to the "linen" (really cotton canvas)?  If so, that is the common practice: poster on acid-neutral masa paper on canvas.

Obviously, the rest of the description is piss-poor with so much missing information, but it doesn't sound like they were hiding anything with regard to the backing process.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 01:17:21 AM »
Are they referring to mounting the poster to Japanese masa paper which is then mounted to the "linen" (really cotton canvas)?  If so, that is the common practice: poster on acid-neutral masa paper on canvas.

Obviously, the rest of the description is piss-poor with so much missing information, but it doesn't sound like they were hiding anything with regard to the backing process.

As mentioned in the other thread, I would be willing to bet that is what they mean, Deke. Yessir!    thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:38:14 AM »
Perhaps what I didn't male clear is that all this information was not available at the auction house, and was only made available to me subsequent to them having to go back to their client.

With a starting bid of $1800, it should bloody well be up front.

I then asked about returns and, following a 'No, we don't take returns', had to convince them that if they are asking for such levels of confidence then they should absolutely allow.  I understand there is some EU statute to demands such.

But then there is the shipping - $175!  Other options do include picking up from Paddle 8, and arranging with FedEx to do it all but I do not know how FedEx packs.

Needless to say, as much as I love this poster, I would feel very exposed if buying through them.

Mirosae

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
Wow, it reads like the auction from Hell. And their description of LB is confusing to say the least...I can see why it might have left you wondering what the heck they meant.

And $175 shipping is a rip off...blimey...was it being shipped wrapped in gold? Or wot?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:04:06 AM by Mirosae »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »
Perhaps what I didn't male clear is that all this information was not available at the auction house, and was only made available to me subsequent to them having to go back to their client.

With a starting bid of $1800, it should bloody well be up front.

I then asked about returns and, following a 'No, we don't take returns', had to convince them that if they are asking for such levels of confidence then they should absolutely allow.  I understand there is some EU statute to demands such.

But then there is the shipping - $175!  Other options do include picking up from Paddle 8, and arranging with FedEx to do it all but I do not know how FedEx packs.

Needless to say, as much as I love this poster, I would feel very exposed if buying through them.

No one should have to pull teeth to get a decent description. What an ordeal, Simon. UGH!

And $175 for shipping.... that's so out there, its laughable. How could they even write that to you with a straight face?   hitself

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »
 :o

Well, well.

I wonder how they could have ever really lost money.  Bearing in mind they didn't have to audit their wares, store and hold items prior to auction, and that the whole thing was (as per their blurb) a digitising of a process, just what capital had they started with, other than perhaps to fund an office and some receptionists.

Anyway, good.  My one miserable experience was sufficient to consider them a candidate for a failed business.

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 09:03:17 PM »
Yikes, it really got bad! Misappropriating funds, owing money, and being sued:

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/paddle8-bankruptcy-1806951

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 05:10:43 AM »
Well well!

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 05:26:14 AM »
https://youtu.be/phyOVbszMic

Simes, I dont get it. You were never ripped off by this company, you weren't hard done by. This whole thread you're acting and reacting as if the company owes you something. Chill, bro. You weren't out one cent. You wanna know what being ripped off feels like? Have I got a story for you!
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 12:07:29 PM »
You wanna know what being ripped off feels like? Have I got a story for you!

Feel free to leave it to my imagination would you?

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »
Feel free to leave it to my imagination would you?

https://youtu.be/O3K1fSRyMGY

Tempie, tempie, Simes. I'm in the middle of a few auctions. As Anna Nicole Smith said: Let me prove myself and then I'll do something. When all will be revealed!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 12:44:54 AM »
You wanna know what being ripped off feels like? Have I got a story for you!

You keep teasing about this - well let's hear it already
Chris

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 01:28:56 AM »
You keep teasing about this - well let's hear it already

https://youtu.be/avFECz8z0Nw

Noh, noh-noh. SahleeEhlseAyehrm, you must be patient. All good things to those who wait. We've got Mondo and the December Meggie to get through first.  faint2.gif

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 05:57:55 AM »
Is there an ability on this forum to Ignore select people and their contributions.

I have one prime candidate...

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 06:14:01 AM »
https://youtu.be/_FE7V_8CgmQ

Simes, so what's with the email you sent me today, asking for 'pictures of it'? Was I supposed to attach in kind the same sort of photo you sent me? (I never knew one could have dandruff in one's pubes)