Author Topic: Pulp Magazines - cover art - show us yours  (Read 33450 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Pulp Magazines - cover art - show us yours
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »
Love the dolly being offered a piece of Ex Lax!   happy1

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »

Love the dolly being offered a piece of Ex Lax!   happy1

I think that is one doll offering another doll a chocolate laxative... A bit creepy looking

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:32:56 PM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 01:00:15 AM »

I think that is one doll offering another doll a chocolate laxative... A bit creepy looking

And the dolly on the right (being offered the chocolate) has an almost, disjointed (at the elbow), left arm.  faint2.gif

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 01:47:35 AM »
And the dolly on the right (being offered the chocolate) has an almost, disjointed (at the elbow), left arm.  faint2.gif

Maybe that is what the ex-lax does? or maybe it helps pull yourself together?

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
Years ago, I had British artist Ron Turner re-create for me a few of his 1950s pulp covers.

Here are a couple of examples of Ron's re-created paintings (with copies of the original pulps under each painting):

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »
These are great, Terry.  thumbup

How did he go about the recreations? Did he do each from scratch? The re-dos looks to match the originals almost exactly, layout wise.

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »
Far as I'm aware, Ron did these re-creations from scratch - using copies of the pulp mags at hand as his guide.  There are (slight) noticeable differences if you look hard enough, but otherwise close as dammit.

Ron was also a terrific comic-strip artist.  Here's an original painted strip I own from his 1960s run on 'The Daleks' (from the Dr Who TV series) ;

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
I suggest that like other artists doing recreations of their work, he probably lightboxed or did a projected image onto his art table so he could recreate the work.

below.. I have owned hundreds of paintings and a few dozen pulp covers. For some reason I can't find my scans of Rozen 'Shadow' covers, Baumhoffer 'Doc Savage', HJ Ward 'Spicy' covers or the paperback cover paintings.. Of course I know they are somewhere.

I don't own any of this anymore of course as I have moved on, but here are some pics.
maybe if I can find my Famous Monsters files I can show the dozens of FM covers I owned

Stanley Borock 'farmers daughter' paperback cover circa 1953

Ed Emsh (Emshwiller) Gnome Press book cover circa 1957

artist unknown, cover to Queen of the Pirates paperback 1961

Virgil Finlay "Famous Fantastic" pulp interior  circa 1941

Virgil Finlay digest pulp cover  circa 1946

Alex Raymond 'Colliers' magazine interior 1936 from his peak period/b]

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 03:55:21 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 03:58:11 PM »
I suggest that like other artists doing recreations of their work, he probably lightboxed or did a projected image onto his art table so he could recreate the work.

below.. I have owned hundreds of paintings and a few dozen pulp covers. For some reason I can't find my scans of Rozen 'Shadow' covers, Baumhoffer 'Doc Savage', HJ Ward 'Spicy' covers or the paperback cover paintings.. Of course I know they are somewhere.

I don't own any of this anymore of course as I have moved on, but here are some pics.

maybe if I can find my Famous Monsters files I can show the dozens of FM covers I owned

Nice stuff there, Rich.

And, yes, if you can find some of the Famous Monsters covers, I for one, would love to see them.   bed1

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »
Cool stuff, Richie, would love to see the FM artworks if you stiil have them on file.

You may well be right about my Ron Turner re-creations.

I have this small Jack Gaughan prelim for his paperback cover of The Zap Gun.  Nothing spectacular, but I picked it up years ago for small change:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:47:33 PM by Mr Trent »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
Cool stuff, Richie, would love to see the FM artworks if you stiil have them on file.

You may well be right about my Ron Turner re-creations.

I have this small Jack Gaughan prelim for his paperback cover of The Zap Gun.  Nothing spectacular, but I picked it up years ago for small change:

thanks!

Jack has always been a very under-rated artist. I used to have a stack of b&w illos that took me forever to sell

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »
I did, at one time, have some other Ron Turner re-creations.  George Hagenauer traded them away from me some time back.

When I commissioned Ron to do these, he was retired and would undertake commission work to supplement his old age pension.  He would charge something like £75 a pop (whatever that equates to in $s), so really good value for money.

The guy who sold me the Gaughan also sold me a Kelly-Freas and Ed Emsh for similarly next-to-nothing prices.  The Emsh was a scratchboard illustration and when sent through the post, the seller didn't use any serviceable packaging material and the Emsh arrived damaged (parts were cracked).  Was pi**ed about that, but because I didn't have much money invested in the piece let it ride.  Doug Ellis later bought the Kelly-Freas and Emsh illustrations from me at a far higher price than what I paid, so it all turned out good in the end.

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
These are great, Terry.  thumbup

How did he go about the recreations? Did he do each from scratch? The re-dos looks to match the originals almost exactly, layout wise.

My first Ron Turner re-creation was of 'The Micro Men' (loved that image).  At the time, I hadn't realised that Ron was a proficient letterer, so I went for just the painted image.  Lettering's a real skill and I just didn't know that Ron was gifted in that discipline.  Shortly afterwards, I had Ron paint-in the title lettering for each subsequent re-creation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:02:06 PM by Mr Trent »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »
Ron Turner was a gifted artist with a flair all his own.
While I don't own any of his original art (and I wish I did), I often blog his work.

Here's a dozen or so of his paperback covers.
http://brudesworld.tumblr.com/tagged/ron-turner

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
Cool stuff, Brude.

I did have the Black Avengers cover re-created for me by Ron, but it's one of the ones that I later traded away to George Hagenauer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:29:45 PM by Mr Trent »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
Found scans of the two Ron Turner re-creations I later traded away to George.

The Black Avengers and The Lie Destroyer.  Must have forgot to ask Ron to include title lettering on The Black Avengers . . .

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Found scans of the two Ron Turner re-creations I later traded away to George.

The Black Avengers and The Lie Destroyer.  Must have forgot to ask Ron to include title lettering on The Black Avengers . . .

sweet

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »
Those are beautiful pieces of art, Terry.
Good for you.
 cheers