Author Topic: Roger Soubie  (Read 7206 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Roger Soubie
« on: September 02, 2015, 08:44:43 PM »
French 1P for The Prize (1963)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:22:46 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Roger Soubie
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »
Very nice poster there Jeff. Lots to look at and a big smooch too

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
A few of my Soubies.  More later.

Gone with the Wind First release.  An identical poster was reprinted a few years later, but this is the first one.  Extremely rare.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
T, that 2P for GWTW is just outstanding. Soubie knew how to work with vibrant color, that's for sure.

Me in love!!  bed1
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:42:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
A few of my Soubies.  More later.

Gone with the Wind First release.  An identical poster was reprinted a few years later, but this is the first one.  Extremely rare.

I AM SENDING THIS ONE TO ROSA

T

WoW, thanks!!!!!! :P

Ps: send it to my London address.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »
Funny Rosa.  As far as I know, it might be the only copy out there.  But you can get the re-release here: http://www.dominiquebesson.com/vintage-movie-poster-4599-gone-with-the-wind.htm

Notice the different signature at the top right and the colors, of course.  Close, but not quite the same.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »
I do think it is the only known copy out there. Gorgeous. Glad it found you Mr T.

#jealous

:D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
A few more Soubies...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »
One of the few true masters.
 clap clap clap clap clap

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 06:33:19 PM »
A few more...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »
Beautiful, T.

Your WAR OF THE WORLDS looks like it is without fold lines. Was this copy backed? Or due to the lighting/photography?

Beautious, tho, is all i can say about it.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
I bought it linenbacked, because it is rare enough and I got it from a very good friend of mine.  It was flawless prior to linenbacking, but he likes to linenbacked his stuff.

I also got the Kiss of Death from him, which is ultra rare, and used his picture, which is a little distorted for some reasons.  Too narrow.  I need to take another picture, but it's sitting underneath 200 posters, so not today.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »
I bought it linenbacked, because it is rare enough and I got it from a very good friend of mine.  It was flawless prior to linenbacking, but he likes to linenbacked his stuff.

I also got the Kiss of Death from him, which is ultra rare, and used his picture, which is a little distorted for some reasons.  Too narrow.  I need to take another picture, but it's sitting underneath 200 posters, so not today.

T

Very nice..

And no... no pic taking today. The humidity being generated from Hurricane Linda is making things a little thick, right about now.

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 09:04:38 PM »
Those French posters are outstanding.  Really nice collection!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 11:55:17 PM »

Pardon me, but I have an incredible urge to see this one again.
Wow.
 bed1

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 12:04:28 AM »
Those French posters are outstanding.  Really nice collection!

Yeah, I know they're not for everyone, especially around these parts, like they're in a foreign language, they're folded, they're old, but to me they're among the best cinema has to offer.  I could get rid of everything else and only collect them.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 12:13:45 AM »
Some of us do like foreign, crusty and old.

(And there are shots to help with that problem)...    ;D

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 10:15:28 PM »
More goodies...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 11:17:22 PM »
I love the Kim Novak art ^ but what is up with the entire male cast?

Their eyes are all drawn to her shoulder blades?
 dontknow.gif

Think that was a studio decision?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 11:30:07 PM »
I love the Kim Novak art ^ but what is up with the entire male cast?

Their eyes are all drawn to her shoulder blades?

dontknow.gif

Think that was a studio decision?

Tho Jim Garner looks to have his eyes better peeled ..  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 11:33:01 PM »
Yeah, I know they're not for everyone, especially around these parts, like they're in a foreign language, they're folded, they're old, but to me they're among the best cinema has to offer.  I could get rid of everything else and only collect them.

T

I honestly could care less about anything but the art.  That's what makes the poster for me.  The French and Thai posters also use such garish color and I really love 'em for it.  Eye candy galore.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »
I honestly could care less about anything but the art.  That's what makes the poster for me.  

I'm the complete opposite, Mike.  I cannot enjoy a poster if I haven't seen the movie.  What I mean to say is that I can appreciate the artistry, but I ultimately do not care for it.  Sometimes I see a poster I like and I have to watch the movie before I decide whether I want to buy it or not.  It has happened a number of times.  To me, movie and poster go together and cannot be dissociated.  

T
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:59:33 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
I honestly could care less about anything but the art.  That's what makes the poster for me.  The French and Thai posters also use such garish color and I really love 'em for it.  Eye candy galore.

I'm with you too, (ie, i dont collect for a poster's supposed or assumed value, etc). For me, it's about the poster art, too, if it is for a movie I know and have seen. But I can also very much appreciate posters with amazing art, color and design, such as these above, by Mr Souble, and, if I haven't seen the associated film, the poster likely will make me want to check out that movie and see what it's all about.  :D

In so many ways, it's a win-win situation.

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
I'm the complete opposite, Mike.  I cannot enjoy a poster if I haven't seen the movie.  What I mean to say is that I can appreciate the artistry, but I ultimately do not care for it.  Sometimes I see a poster I like and I have to watch the movie before I decide whether I want to buy it or not.  It has happened a number of times.  To me, movie and poster go together and cannot be dissociated.  

T

Yeah I remember you saying this before. I think it's great that all collectors have their approach to the hobby.  It makes it more fun that way.  How boring it would be if we were all the same!  For me, the whole existence of a movie poster is to entice someone to see a film.  So if a poster is alluring, it means it did it's job (regardless if the movie is shit or not).  It amazes me how incredibly f*****g awesome some of the Thai posters I have are that are for movies that are complete dreck.  For that I love the posters even more!
 bed1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 03:03:29 PM »
Yeah I remember you saying this before. I think it's great that all collectors have their approach to the hobby.  It makes it more fun that way.  How boring it would be if we were all the same!  For me, the whole existence of a movie poster is to entice someone to see a film.  So if a poster is alluring, it means it did it's job (regardless if the movie is shit or not).  It amazes me how incredibly f*****g awesome some of the Thai posters I have are that are for movies that are complete dreck.  For that I love the posters even more!
 bed1

Every country has produced awesome and beautiful posters for films that are total crap-o-la.. lol

The poster, in those cases, might be the best thing about the entire movie!

-Jeff