Author Topic: In this economy...  (Read 5617 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
In this economy...
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »
This is all I'm hearing these days.  In this economy this... in this economy that...  It has almost become a punchline.

So I'd love to hear from our resident experts, the Bruce's, Dale's and Rich's of the world, on the state of our hobby.  Be honest, please.  Is it good, bad, awful...  

And the rest of you, have you curbed your poster spending?

T
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:28:35 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: In this economy...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »
Canadian economy is one of the strongest in the world right now. 

No curbing here...but then again, I was never heavily invested or reliant upon the markets.

And I try to display as much self control as possible...
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »
Never paid much attention to the economy when it came to what I did with money. I dont have any real cash but Ive pretty much spent instead of saved. Ive always been part of the stimulus.  :P

Before posters it was electronics and sports collecting....Now, as I am at the one year mark in my movie paper "phase", I find that I am spending more and more every month...This is starting to get a bit crazy...I need poster rehab!

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »
And the rest of you, have you curbed your poster spending?

Yes, heavily.  Haven't bought or won anything in at least two months

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:55:25 PM »
I can only speak on the new side of the house, any old stuff I get I tend not to part with.

The blockbusters still go well (How to Train, Iron Man, Inception for example), marginal stuff a few go here and there but slower than in the past. B grade stuff is DEAD. This stuff used to still move a little, but now not at all. I dont know if it has more to do with the economy or the film quality.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:03:36 AM »
Well, I have cut down quite a bit. I don't buy as many high end posters just cheaper stuff, due mainly to spending on the house and my cars. Nothing to do with the economic situation. I have too many hobbies, so funds are spread thinly between them.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »
I am mostly economy proof.  I have curbed my spending some, but it is mainly because there is less stuff I want.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
I would say that in general, cheap crap has fallen off a cliff. Why? Maybe the economy, but more likely due to the HUGE amount of items being offered at no reserve on a weekly basis (eMoviePoster, MPB, and others). With so much decent quality material available at reasonable prices, why "waste" your money on marginal stuff? Also, I used to sell tons of cheap stuff to people who re-sold it at fixed price on eBay. One by one all those people are closing down due to the eBay implosion.

Medium range items are somewhat spotty. Condition is important, and there are changing tastes, especially for lesser titles of major stars, or items with uninteresting images.

But truly good items are doing fine, UNLESS they are the kind that are offered over and over and over, or if the seller wants the highest price it ever sold for. Also, collectors are getting more and more wary of restoration and fuzzy images and fuzzier condition descriptions, so most of the best prices are reserved for truly rare desirable items in really nice condition, the same as it ever was (the same as it ever was).

I stand by my position that the last time it was as good a buying opportunity in posters was in the mid-1980s, thanks to a huge supply and many (but of course not all) motivated sellers. The trick is to find the good buys, but if you do, I think you will look back in amazement in five years at many of the great deals that were available.

Bruce

Bruce

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
"I am mostly economy proof"

How does one manage that?

Bruce

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »
Well, I am military.  Therefore, unless I do something really dumb, I cannot get fired, layed off, etc.  I know what my paycheck will be every 2 weeks.  I know exactly when I will get promoted and how much the pay increase will be.  I also know exactly when I can retire and how much the check resulting from that retirement will be.

As far as where that money goes, that is kind of interesting.  There is some variance based on economic factors, but I try to limit it.  I have a large amount tied up in areas that are not affected by the economy.  The rest is dropped into super low-risk profiles.  Works for me, I guess, but it would not work for everyone.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »
I would say that in general, cheap crap has fallen off a cliff. Why? Maybe the economy, but more likely due to the HUGE amount of items being offered at no reserve on a weekly basis (eMoviePoster, MPB, and others)

Wouldn't this be due to the economy at least in part?  I know on the comic side there's be an avalanche of great books hitting the market over the past year and a half because, in many cases, people needed to sell.  Too many books for the market to absorb, so prices have been falling for most ages regardless of condition (aside from the super premium keys). 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »
There is some good in everything!!!

We just got our house refinanced (from 5.125% interest rate to 4.5%, almost unheard of and a saving of $300 a month!!!) and appraised lower (which means another saving of $250 a month in taxes!!!)  So all together, our mortgage will go down by $550 a month!  

Yeah, posters (that is, of course, if there are any posters to buy!)

8)
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
Wouldn't this be due to the economy at least in part?  I know on the comic side there's be an avalanche of great books hitting the market over the past year and a half because, in many cases, people needed to sell.  Too many books for the market to absorb, so prices have been falling for most ages regardless of condition (aside from the super premium keys). 

Angelo, comic books is an entirely over-priced market. They still have quite a ways to fall

also, comic prices in some areas were already falling (GA under 6.0, SA under 8.5, BA period)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 04:05:45 PM »

Yeah, posters (that is, of course, if there are any posters to buy!)

8)

Does Mrs Brie has a say in this?!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »
Nope  ;)

As long as she gets her shoes, yoga classes and massages, we're all good.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
Nope  ;)

As long as she gets her shoes, yoga classes and massages, we're all good.

T

The simple things!
Chris