Author Topic: What usually brings more at an auction? Linenbacked or not/Unrestored?  (Read 3363 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Just curious as to what most of you think or as to what you would bid on. what usually brings more at an auction? a linen backed poster or one that is in good/fair shape unrestored?  What do buyers/bidders prefer? I try and find some  results at EMP for example for some of my searches, but only linen backed posters were sent. For Example, Nightmare on Elm street Quad, Notorious, Day of the Triffids 4sh...

Now I know its an auction and its going to bring whatever a buyer wants to pay. But I am curious, if looking at some results, can I expect to bring less, more, same if I were to send an unrestored poster in. What would you pay more for or buy? (referring to harder to find posters of course)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:40:28 PM by bigmike »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Mike.. from what people have posted more recently on this topic, I think many will pay more of a premium for an unbacked poster. Many want something that has had no restoration, re-creation (let alone buying something with undisclosed or not fully disclosed work that was done to it).

Im sure others will chime in, but it seems like 5-10 yrs ago, the opposite was more true for many, with backed posters bringing a better return.

Tho, if a poster is/was in dire need of conservation and backing alone was done, to stabilize it, then that could also bring a prettier penny than the same one that looked to be more tattered and worn.

cheers

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I think in today's climate a poster in fantastic, unbacked condition will bring more than a backed example that has had some level of restoration or cleaning etc...

However, I also think a poster that has been backed and restored will bring more than a raw poster in poor/fair/good condition in most circumstances.  However, that does not necessarily mean the restoration/backing cost will be realized back in the result.  Many examples of backed posters selling for far less than what the resto/backing likely cost (meaning the poster itself essentially sold for nothing!)...
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Chris does talk good sense, However as much as I'd like to think an unbacked poster will sell for more, time and again I see backed ones making that bit more money. I can only assume the buyers think they are getting something extra with it being backed. Or maybe if it's to be framed and the folds are gone they will pay that bit extra..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
Personally I look for unrestored. However, my choices are more modern, so they should be in near perfect condition anyways.

This is an interesting discussion. I'd like to add an additional question, if I may. Do you think from a relative point of view it's true that unrestored brings in more than backed? I mean sure most linenbacked posters may go for more than unrestored in absolute price, but once you take the seller's costs into account, what do you think nets more?
Witty signature goes here.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Personally I look for unrestored. However, my choices are more modern, so they should be in near perfect condition anyways.

This is an interesting discussion. I'd like to add an additional question, if I may. Do you think from a relative point of view it's true that unrestored brings in more than backed? I mean sure most linenbacked posters may go for more than unrestored in absolute price, but once you take the seller's costs into account, what do you think nets more?

It's really hard to answer as there are so many unique sales and situations out there (and coming in the future no doubt).  It really depends on the title, rarity, amount and quality of restoration (not all restored/backed posters are created equal that is for damn sure!) and timing...
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
You can hide a multitude of sins in a linenbacked poster and sell it online with low res images and vague description. In this case newbies would pay more I guess for what looks like a perfect poster, no folds, though the more experience and burnt would factor in these risks plus probably valueing it less.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
A lot of collectors really prefer to send off their "raw" posters to their particular restorer/backer of choice as opposed to spinning the roulette wheel on buying/receiving a poster without knowing who did the work on it...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
And because of this, many will place a premium on unbacked posters, even if they are in need of repair/restoration/conservation, so that the new owner can go or send to his trusted restorer and have the work done. And, as was mentioned, rarity, title, and timing also play largely into the cost/buy factor.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: What usually brings more at an auction? Linenbacked or not/Unrestored?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 12:21:12 AM »
It's really hard to answer as there are so many unique sales and situations out there (and coming in the future no doubt).  It really depends on the title, rarity, amount and quality of restoration (not all restored/backed posters are created equal that is for damn sure!) and timing...

That sure is the truth - not all restorers and backers, let alone the work they do, is/are created equal.

And because of that, (and this has been asked before, yet never answered), why dont those dealers and auction houses that know who did the restoration work, let alone those that send items off to be restored and backed, EVER name the person who did the work? Why is that identity kept hidden and secret? That is just as important as the work they perform, imo.

And if someone bids on and wins a poster that has been poorly restored, (but that poor work cant be seen in the pics offered), that person should have the right to know who did a less than stellar job. Same goes for all those posters that look fantastic, post-restoration. That artiste should be known and able to be commended (on forums like APF) without his or her name forever being kept in the shadows.

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 01:04:17 AM »
There might not be much value in saying who did the restoration (e.g.) "Poster Mountain" since they employ numerous people and the quality may vary quite a bit which individual does it. Likewise for good work the individual is better being named rather than the company.

Oh, another thought, maybe mentioned, well probably has, if the linenbacking is not the best, the buyer need to pay to have it unbacked (costly) then backed again (costly)... so backed posters may be worth less than no backing to some people for this reason alone, forgetting backing likely hides a multitude of sins.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 01:22:30 AM »
There might not be much value in saying who did the restoration (e.g.) "Poster Mountain" since they employ numerous people and the quality may vary quite a bit which individual does it. Likewise for good work the individual is better being named rather than the company.

Oh, another thought, maybe mentioned, well probably has, if the linenbacking is not the best, the buyer need to pay to have it unbacked (costly) then backed again (costly)... so backed posters may be worth less than no backing to some people for this reason alone, forgetting backing likely hides a multitude of sins.

May not add a lot of value... but why the mystery by dealers and auction houses?

Simply state: "Prior to restoration, this poster had X flaws/defects, and it has been expertly restored by (fill in the name), rather than just saying it was some anonymous, unnamed 'restorer.'

It all seems very simple and should be that transparent, especially if someone is willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a backed poster.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 02:32:14 AM »
I no longer buy linenbacked posters and never had more than a small number of them in my collection anyway. as I can, I am replacing these and have spent $500-$1000 on several items replacing backed copies

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 04:07:48 AM »
I only ever bought 2 posters that were already backed.

The other 3 that I have -- I had backed myself, so I know exactly what was done to them. The purpose was to conserve and preserve the vintage, more delicate paper and stabilize them, and not have them retouched in order to make them look brand new.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
I have a few backed ones.  I don't seek them out, but I will grab ones that speak to me and don't carry a premium.  A couple were simply backed, but not restored.  I sorta like those as they preserve the history of the poster, but stabilize it.

I totally agree with Chris' assessment.  when 2 posters are in the same apparent condition, the unbacked one seems to go for more.  However, the vast majority of pre-1970 posters will have some degree of fold separation.  In those cases the backed and restored poster will go for a higher price than a g-vg unbacked example.  And, of course, there are folks who cannot tolerate folds and want their posters to be perfect at any cost.

I do have some posters that are in fair or even poor condition.  However, I have not found any instance where backing and restoration would increase the value beyond that cost.  In every case, it would be better to wait for a better copy to turn up.  I guess it might make sense for one of those 6 figure posters.  Dracula, Frankenstein, London After Midnight.  But even there, I would personally prefer to exhibit it in found condition and let the next guy back and restore (as if I'm likely to ever own one of those :) )
-Jay-