Author Topic: Damaging posters by using weight for flattening ?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline stripemakers

• Hobbyist
    • POST-SOC - Movie Posters from behind the Iron Curtain
Damaging posters by using weight for flattening ?
« on: June 15, 2015, 05:38:19 AM »
Hello Guys,

I would like to make some folded and rolled poster flat.

What i was doing in the past is that i took 2 huge Mediapan sheets, i put the posters between them, and i put a lot of heavy things on the top, like synths, tv sets, whatever i found at home. The minus of this methid is that even right now i have a huge (HUGE!) pile of things (on top of some posters) in the middle of my room :D

My new idea is that instead of using weight, i want to press the 2 Mediapan sheets together with a lots of welding clamps. So here is the question:

Do you think i can damage a poster by pressing it too strong, or pressing them to each other too strong? Maybe its a stupid question, but can the ink go to one poster to another? (we are talking about offsets, and lithograps).

Any advice would be more than appreciated.

Thanks!

POST-SOC.com  - Movie Posters from behind the Iron Curtain

POST-SOC on Facebook - Latest additions to my collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Damaging posters by using weight for flattening ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 12:16:11 PM »
Hi stripe..

Can I ask one question? What are Mediapan sheets? I've never heard of this (these) before.

If these sheets are sturdy and thick enough so that the clamps absorb any pressure caused by them, when tightened, you should be fine. I would think that would only be an issue, were something too tightly clamped between something softer like foam core, where possible "impressioning" could happen. If the boards you have are solid, then i would think clamping them together would be A-ok.

Why not lay some acid free tissue or something similar between the posters if you are pressing multiple copies. The ink should be stable, but there could always be light dirt etc that could transfer from one to the other, that you might want to avoid.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Damaging posters by using weight for flattening ?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:02:39 AM »
Weight is good, extreme weight and pressure is probably not a good idea overall.  What you really need is patience and time to get those folds/rolls out...
Chris