Author Topic: Italian Job 1p  (Read 2242 times)

Marty Moose

Italian Job 1p
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:43:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

With the recent talk of Cine Poster/Sonis commerical reprints of large French posters, I thought it might be a good idea to enlist the combined knowledge of the forum with a query of my own.

I've recently acquired a French 1p of the Italian Job, however when I've looked around at other examples of this poster there seems to be some discrepancy on information in the bottom corners - examples from Bruce's past auctions and Theirry's personal copy from his site seem to show a line of writing in either lower corner and possibly some horizonal text on the lower left.  My copy has some printers information in the lower left and on the right side the film title and a 'Sonis' logo.  My copy seems to be the same style as that for sale on the Film/Art Gallery site.  Measurements of the poster are around 45.5" x 61.75", and paper seems consistent with other titles I have from this era.

Anyone know if there might have been a number of print runs on the poster, or could this be one of the dreaded commerical jobs?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Italian Job 1p
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »
This looks like a 1st re-release, probably from 1974 or 1975.  Lalande Courbet, the printer, changed names many times from the 60s to the 80s.  Forget Sonis, the name change is how you date a French poster printed by Lalande.  The original printer name should read: Lalande Courbet, Wissous.  From the early 70s to 1976, the name changed to Ets Lalande Courbet, which is what you have on your poster.  Since the movie came out in 69-70 in France, it could have been re-released 5 years later.  It is still a nice poster, but not from the 1st release.  There is also a 2nd re-release from the mid-80s that reads SA Lalande Courbet.  I know, identifying French posters can be complicated.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Marty Moose

Re: Italian Job 1p
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:36:50 AM »
Thanks for the info, that will be useful in identifying the origins of my other French material as well - on posters so large it's easy to overlook the printer info and take things for granted while we pour endlessly over the fine print on US One Sheets.  I actually only just noticed I have two Butch Cassidy posters from different releases of the film, when I presumed they were just duplicates of each other, and I had never realised by Deliverance poster bore the Sonis logo at all until I noticed an image on the other thread and compared it.