Collecting and Collectibles in Other Areas > General Discussion

Stills

(1/5) > >>

eatbrie:
Bruce's auction of stills just ended and some of them sold for a little bit of money.

Now, I don't collect stills at all, but I'm intrigued.  It seems so easy to reproduce photographs, say 5 years later, or 10, or 20.  How does anyone know the year listed is the correct one?  All it takes is a negative.

Anyone collect stills in these parts?

T

Simes:
I am collecting the press stills from the Bonds, but only those that are from the NSS sets, not the Key sets.  Differences being that the NSS ones have full film titling, NSS numbers, Copyright info and (depending on the era) the little still numbers as scratched into the negative.

As above, all those from Dr No thru to Golden Gun are exemplified as such, after which the stills were numbered as an acronym-ed title plus a number.  To wit, LTK-1 would be for Licence to Kill.

Anyway, as for reproductions, an area I have tripped up on, being newly introduced, original stills are single weight paper stock and reprints tend to be double weight (I think).  Also, for some reason, a reprint tends not to display the scratched in number bottom left or right of the still.  I cannot find an answer as to why because one would assume to make a negative from an existing still and reprint away...

The rear of reprints can also tend to have printers' dots along the longer edge, which then get smudged.

As to collecting sets of NSS stills, even though the scratched in numbers on a Key set will go from, say, 1 to 50, NSS may only produce a set of 25 from the 50 available, for example.  Consequently, the scratched numbers would not be consecutive.  And there would be very little way of knowing what was and was not printed.

All the above is specific only to my very recent observations of just the Bond films so is quite clearly not encompassing of the wider field.

Suffice to say, I have sent back many stills as being reprints even though they are confidently advertised, and later confirmed, as being original.

It's a ride...

Simes:
Am surprised no one else had anything to say on this subject - not least because I am new to it all too and would imagine some corrections would be in order.  Or at the very least, additions.

Charlie:
For some reason, I ran into the same problem when I started this thread a little over a year ago:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6097.0.html

I try to stick to the ones that have the little news clip attachments on the back for authenticity...

Mirosae:

--- Quote from: Charlie on April 13, 2015, 08:24:37 AM ---For some reason, I ran into the same problem when I started this thread a little over a year ago:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6097.0.html

I try to stick to the ones that have the little news clip attachments on the back for authenticity...

--- End quote ---

That thread is great, Louie has a fantastic collection! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version