Author Topic: Video Nasties  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
Video Nasties
« on: February 11, 2015, 06:36:43 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed before but just wondered if any APFers had tried/managed to collect posters for all of the video nasties?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Video Nasties
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
good idea.
But I don't think so.
or not specifically.
But I hope I am proven WRONG.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:07:31 AM »
Apologies if this has been discussed before but just wondered if any APFers had tried/managed to collect posters for all of the video nasties?

I grew up in that era and it was all about video store poster and some times just getting the sleeve, a lot of the nasties didn't have posters

what list are you going on out of interest

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
I did pick a few up myself at the time, both Video posters, and Quads. As for all of them no not all but a few...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »
I grew up in that era and it was all about video store poster and some times just getting the sleeve, a lot of the nasties didn't have posters

what list are you going on out of interest

I was just thinking about the official DPP39. Appreciate some are going to be a lot harder than others. It's probably a fools errand. I have picked up a few one-sheets, including Driller Killer, Last House and Mardi Gras Massacre and there's maybe a half a dozen others I'd be keen to pick up.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
if you want to post the list Im sure we can help.
Most of us are non brits, so while I know some of it, as its interesting to me, it means nothing to many people.
We had lots of banned stuff in Australia, shit we still have troubles.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »
The British courts successfully prosecuted 39 horror movies for being obscene - the official 'video nasties'. The list of titles that were hammered in this way is here:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty#Prosecuted_films

It's an eclectic mix of movies. The oldest one on the list is Herschell Gordon Lewis's Blood Feast, but the likes of Tenebrae (aka Unsane), Zombie Flesh Eaters (aka Zombie), The Burning, Evilspeak and Flesh for Frankenstein (aka Andy Warhol's Frankenstein) all got caught up.

Poster-wise, the one I am most curious about is Faces of Death. Forgive my ignorance, but did this ever get released theatrically in the USA? And if so, was there a poster produced? The Emovieposter archive lists the Japanese B2 but no other version on this title.

PS For anyone interested in all this stuff, Marc Morris and Nigel Wingrove's book The Art of the Nasty is a must -- it has details of all the nasties, along with many similar exploitation and horror movies from the early days of VHS in Britain, complete with the often incredibly lurid video sleeve artwork. It's available via UK Amazon.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 07:39:04 PM »
Poster-wise, the one I am most curious about is Faces of Death. Forgive my ignorance, but did this ever get released theatrically in the USA? And if so, was there a poster produced? The Emovieposter archive lists the Japanese B2 but no other version on this title.
I remember in high school a friend and I watched Faces of Death vol. ? on VHS at a friend's place as he was preparing to host a party that night. 

Needless to say, worst party ever. Me and him sat all quiet on the couch smoking cigs for most of the night.  :-\

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »
I dont think FoD was released theatrically in the states, but I am Australian so what do I know?

heres a video poster for it I have

re posters, you want British posters for them? or doesn't matter?

anyway some will be cheap and easy, like The Burning and Evilspeak (probably have an evilspeak somewhere still)
and others will be expensive and/or tougher, like Blood Feast (and damn Zombie Flesh Eaters is creeping up)

I like this thread a lot.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
I dont think FoD was released theatrically in the states, but I am Australian so what do I know?

You try to sell that again on e**y and I'll  report you  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »
F@ck!" That is clever  ;D
Matias

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »
Getting posters for all video nasties looks like a good idea.
I just realized I have 2!

Blood feast:

Night of the bloody apes:

Matias

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:48:49 PM »
nice...
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 10:54:56 PM »
 thumbsup.gif
Matias

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 08:56:34 AM »

re posters, you want British posters for them? or doesn't matter?

anyway some will be cheap and easy, like The Burning and Evilspeak (probably have an evilspeak somewhere still)
and others will be expensive and/or tougher, like Blood Feast (and damn Zombie Flesh Eaters is creeping up)

I like this thread a lot.

Awesome FoD poster. Might have to get that one.

I'm not necessarily after British posters. All the nasties paper I have collected so far is US apart from the Japanese B2 for Cannibal Apocalypse. There's a nifty looking one sheet out there for Forest of Fear. Some of the quads, such as House By The Cemetary, are gorgeous but go for fairly big bucks.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »
I have a nice cannibal apocalypse One sheet (alternative title CANNIBALS IN THE STREET) in my ebay store also.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »
I remember in high school a friend and I watched Faces of Death vol. ? on VHS at a friend's place as he was preparing to host a party that night. 

Needless to say, worst party ever. Me and him sat all quiet on the couch smoking cigs for most of the night.  :-\

A roommate and I rented a couple of these FoD on VHS, shortly after college, and they initially scared the bejezus out of me.. i had no idea, until years later, that they were all fake. Tho, i think, a few volumes were intercut with some real footage of people? (or maybe that was hype, too). Dont know.. but i remember sitting there with hands ready to cover my face.. lol  faint2.gif

-Jeff

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »
although not something i collect, i do seem to have quite a few posters for them.
in the 80s i did have the majority of them on VHS at one time or another. but obviously there was always a couple that eluded me. i guess these days its different with the internet, if you have the money you can get the whole lot. back then it seemed an insurmountable task?
anyways here what i could find, im sure i have more, knocking around.

I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean