Author Topic: CGC Slabbed Lobby Cards.... a new trend?  (Read 22465 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: CGC Slabbed Lobby Cards.... a new trend?
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 12:06:01 AM »
#1 on the actual grade.. with that tear, you can't go above C-6/7 aka 6.5.. and nobody should think if it gets restored, it is worth a higher grade

#2 the CGC Let it Be cards that they sold were previously sold on Heritage for considerably more

#3 in movie posters, does a CGC grade=higher value?

NO. It makes a difference in comics because there are many collectors in a hyper-sensitive hobby that is almost entirely based on the financial outcome and that a 9.6 Fantastic Four #1 is in itself, a pedigree.
There is no such correlation in posters and the specific material is rare enough combined with a small enough audience that it doesn't make a difference. I don't know anyone who walks around saying "I will only buy a Son of Frankenstein lobby card if it is dead mint". That's because the cards are so rare, that collectors will buy what they can until they have a set and the condition will only matter when it gets below a certain level or is restored

Rich, how much weight or credence is put on movie posters that have been graded by CGC, by dealers or auction houses? Sounds like not a whole lot? In other words, does it add any kind of added premium or value, since CGC's expertise wasn't/isn't in the grading of movie poster items (comics being their forte').

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 12:24:54 AM »
ah yes CGC - Comic Gank Commission.. or BGS Becket Gangking Service

What a total ream job both of these have done to the comic and sports card hobby. It's literally like playing the lottery. Folks submit cards and go from 8.0 to a 9.5 or in the comic world a full grade difference is not uncommon in a crack and resubmit.

I absolutely hate it, raw books and cards in the same grade take a huge price hit not being encapsulated. You pay a 3rd party ridiculous amounts of money to confirm a grade and register it.  Organized crime in the 21st century.. hello!...

Thankfully condition in the poster world is not quite as restrictive.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
Rich, how much weight or credence is put on movie posters that have been graded by CGC, by dealers or auction houses? Sounds like not a whole lot? In other words, does it add any kind of added premium or value, since CGC's expertise wasn't/isn't in the grading of movie poster items (comics being their forte').

CGC's expertise is in the handling of paper goods, and the detection of restoration/alteration (and fakes). Just think of the millions of dollars that would have been saved if they had been sent some of the Haggard fakes early on in the process.

I'm not sure if the market as a whole is putting any extra value on graded items yet, but I will share my own experience.
As everyone knows I collect Godzilla/Japanese monster material, so I long ago decided I wanted perfect mint sets of US lobbies from all the films. In some cases it was easy to buy a mint set (such as Rodan and Mothra still in the distributor bags), and in other cases I have bought and upgraded single cards. It is a huge pain to look at ebay auctions and try to decide if any given card is in better condition than one I might currently possess.
In 2011, Heritage offered a set of Godzilla, King of the Monsters cards that were CGC graded between 9.2 and 9.8. I ended up purchasing the lots that contained the highest graded cards to compare to my own.

You can see one of those lots here - https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/science-fiction/godzilla-trans-world-1956-cgc-graded-lobby-cards-2-11-x-14-total-2-items-/a/7040-83412.s?

I had my own set graded and got from 9.4 to 9.8 on my own cards. I do not remember disagreeing with any of the grades given.  As a result I sold some of my "lesser" cards through Heritage - and I say lesser, as for example this card was a 9.6, but it should make pretty much anyone happy: https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/science-fiction/godzilla-trans-world-1956-cgc-graded-lobby-card-11-x-14-/a/7072-83639.s?

I was very pleased with the prices I received and for the CGC 9.6 example I linked to above, the $926 for that card is about double what the highest price I can find an ungraded copy of the card bringing.

So I am happy with a set that is CGC graded 9.8. Did I pay a slight premium for them being graded? Yes. Was it worth it to me? Absolutely. Would it be worth it to someone else? Maybe not, but there is a certain peace of mind that comes with 3rd party grading/authentication.

One other note about the Let It Be set that someone else mentioned. That was originally my set and I sold it through Movie Poster Exchange to help Peter out when he was beginning (you can see one of the cards here https://www.movieposterexchange.com/buy.php?mode=poster_details&auction_id=3484). I think the total he got for them was just under $700 - not Heritage high prices, but not bad for a new auction site.
The buyer turned around and tried to flip them with Bruce, and took a bath. You can see the result for the first four cards here (http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/14897134.html).
I think it is interesting the Bruce gave them graded of "Very Good to Fine", implying his grading system is much tighter than CGC, when of course just the opposite is true.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com