Author Topic: Why do collectors buy alot of crap?  (Read 29655 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Why do collectors buy alot of crap?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »
hey. Holiday......  sm1

Hi Boss.  Hope you're well.  Las Vegas is on my list of places to visit too....  Gotta see the kids in L.A. too.  So many places....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

2007Whoopi

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »
I did not say any such thing.  It seems to me that you're bent on throwing your dick down and letting people know you've arrived.  My friend, we've been here for awhile now.  We got along just fine without the benefit of your insights, and we will continue to do so.  I agree with some of what you've said, but not all.  It seems, though, that when you face disagreement, you are taking it as a challenge and that you feel the need to respond in kind. 

May I make a suggestion?  How about getting into what you like to the exclusion of all that you don't like.  Suffice to say that it will be a much more pleasant conversation.

Everybody already knows what I like - I've spoken over it ad nauseum and posted photos of my collection, what more do you want? You seem very defensive: Since when does expressing my opinion have anything to do with other people? I don't state my opinion for the benefit of others, I couldn't care less if other people glean anything from my "insights" or not. I express myself for my enjoyment and my enjoyment only, that's all.

Like every single person on this forum, when I face disagreement, I respond with my own opinion. That's what conversation is and I have a right to respond to anything anyone says. Having said that, this is your forum and if you don't wish me to partake in a conversation like everyone else does here, you know exactly how to remedy the situation :)

2007Whoopi

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
PS. This is not the first nor last forum I have been a member of, and I will go on expressing my opinion, long after I am done with this forum :)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 10:36:02 PM »
I don't think I'm defensive, but that really doesn't matter.  You say that expressing your opinion has nothing to do with other people, but that's like farting in a room full of people and not caring how they feel about it.

If you don't really care how other people feel about what you say, then why say anything?  Just to listen to the sound of your voice, figuratively speaking? 

If you want discourse, that's fine. We all like it.  That's what a forum is about.  But for shit's sake, man, stay positive instead of telling other people how their stuff is crap.

Now, if you have to have the last word, that's fine. Go ahead and say it and I won't respond.  But, I'm just as happy letting it go here.  We have said what's on our mind, and we can go act accordingly.

And yes, this I own this forum along with Thierry, and you are welcome here as our guest.  No one's kicking you out for talking, or even for farting in the room.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 10:36:06 PM »
PS. This is not the first nor last forum I have been a member of, and I will go on expressing my opinion, long after I am done with this forum :)

Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 10:53:05 PM »
Most awesome reads.  Anyone else want Holiday to be Prime Minister? 

ps anyone watching the ball game?  craaaazinessssss

2007Whoopi

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 10:53:54 PM »
I don't think I'm defensive, but that really doesn't matter.  You say that expressing your opinion has nothing to do with other people, but that's like farting in a room full of people and not caring how they feel about it.

If you don't really care how other people feel about what you say, then why say anything?  Just to listen to the sound of your voice, figuratively speaking? 

If you want discourse, that's fine. We all like it.  That's what a forum is about.  But for shit's sake, man, stay positive instead of telling other people how their stuff is crap.

Now, if you have to have the last word, that's fine. Go ahead and say it and I won't respond.  But, I'm just as happy letting it go here.  We have said what's on our mind, and we can go act accordingly.

And yes, this I own this forum along with Thierry, and you are welcome here as our guest.  No one's kicking you out for talking, or even for farting in the room.

Nope, you're wrong. Farting in a room full of people is offensive: I consider myself an eloquent writer, quite witty and original, and I know people on this forum have been entertained by my posts, despite themselves. My short time here has generated a lot of discussion, which makes my presence here of more value than some who just come here and criticise others - and yes, many do. This "rose-coloured syndrome" people have on this forum, that they are "good" and others are "bad" is incorrect, immature and well, just a little sad.

I've also not told anyone their stuff is "crap" - At all. There are many threads on this forum with some terrible collections but I have not given my opinions on them. I have commented in a generic way on the habits of some collectors and mentioned no names. (not even the dealers who ripped me off - primarily because it wouldn't hurt their business as nobody buys from them anyway) In that way, I am a lot less negative than all the posters here who have abused dealers and mentioned names, addresses and all other specifics. Why don't you tell them to stop being negative? I've already explained why I like expressing myself, it has nothing to do with other people: It would be pretty sad to go through life only expressing oneself to please others. In my experience, I've never witnessed others do this anyway.

As it is, it really doesn't matter. This is not a "last word" post but a "goodbye one." I've realised my presence here gives this forum more value and more views and it's best if I let it go the way of MPF.

And CSM, ah, so predictable? Why do you wait for a group of others to attack before getting a punch in? Cowardly, so cowardly...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 10:57:28 PM »
Most awesome reads.  Anyone else want Holiday to be Prime Minister? 

He is having an easy time of it but I would like to see him go up against some one with an actual well thought out thought before I go crazy.  :P

I would though vote for him as Prime Minister of this board.  8)

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »
There are many threads on this forum with some terrible collections but I have not given my opinions on them.

Doh.gif

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 11:00:50 PM »
I consider myself an eloquent writer, quite witty and original

You are sadly ignorant...

As it is, it really doesn't matter. This is not a "last word" post but a "goodbye one." I've realised my presence here gives this forum more value and more views and it's best if I let it go the way of MPF

Hallelujah!

Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 11:02:35 PM »

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »
That was just ridiculous....

Someone's been smokin the crack....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 11:07:47 PM »
As it is, it really doesn't matter. This is not a "last word" post but a "goodbye one." I've realised my presence here gives this forum more value and more views and it's best if I let it go the way of MPF.

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

nar·cis·sism (ˈnärsəˌsizəm )

noun: narcissism

excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.

synonyms: vanity, self-love, self-admiration, self-absorption, self-obsession, conceit, self-centeredness, self-regard, egotism, egoism
"his emotional development was hindered by his mother's narcissism"

antonyms: modesty

•Psychology
extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.

•Psychoanalysis
self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

http://time.com/3136687/narcissist-quiz/

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 11:08:43 PM »
I dont care what anyone says this broad reeks of mel.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 11:14:26 PM »
...was mel a bastard?

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »
...was mel a bastard?

In both senses...  Often a Bazterd more than a Bastard...  He could be both in the same post.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »
Hi Boss.  Hope you're well.  Las Vegas is on my list of places to visit too....  Gotta see the kids in L.A. too.  So many places....

I'm doing just fine.. been busy with a number of things and making course corrections with auctions
looks like the programmer can't fix the bidding module to work correctly, so I've delayed any auctions until I get that part of the site fixed.. I'm about to post to the site about the issue

I'm also about to start working on lists of posters for set sale before I figure out if I'm listing them to the site normally or if I'm going to wait and see if we need to start from zero & get an all-new site built again.

but it's going to take months and months as there is so much work left here from not being to get to it while I was doing a regular auction, which has become somewhat of a waste of time as too many posters have been Wal Marted in just the last 5 years and destroyed the overall price structure of the hobby. I'm no longer playing into that "race to the bottom" to see how cheaply posters can be sold. I don't see how that is favorable to myself or to consignors anymore. But I'm definitely enjoying the lack of certain weekly deadlines and having more of my life to myself.

I'll be happy to see you stop around, when you make it..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 11:20:08 PM »
So predictable.

Bye bye, whoopster.

Most are surprised you lingered this long, before fleeing into the night.

And why aren't those 26+ daybills framed yet? It's best to have that "crap" up on those high walls at the "weekend residence" rather than on the table or floor, where dried soap scum from patty fingers can be a problem.  8)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:42:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 11:20:39 PM »
I don't think so.  Mel is much smarter than this potzer.  This guy ran into a debating dead end in a few moves.  If he didn't respond to my last post, he was the guy farting in the room.  If he did respond, then he was the one who had to have the last word. The only thing he could do, then, was choose what he thought was the lesser of two evils, but he tried to undo it by saying "not the last word, but goodbye!" just to maintain his illusion of being in a superior position, though I had just put the smack down on him. I would not have done it if he gave any indication of being a nice guy. He's a troll and he earned it, but he took a wrong turn by trolling in my woods.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
Sounds like tedium. Hope you're having fun otherwise.  The back office crap can really be dull.

I'm doing just fine.. been busy with a number of things and making course corrections with auctions
looks like the programmer can't fix the bidding module to work correctly, so I've delayed any auctions until I get that part of the site fixed.. I'm about to post to the site about the issue

I'm also about to start working on lists of posters for set sale before I figure out if I'm listing them to the site normally or if I'm going to wait and see if we need to start from zero & get an all-new site built again.

but it's going to take months and months as there is so much work left here from not being to get to it while I was doing a regular auction, which has become somewhat of a waste of time as too many posters have been Wal Marted in just the last 5 years and destroyed the overall price structure of the hobby. I'm no longer playing into that "race to the bottom" to see how cheaply posters can be sold. I don't see how that is favorable to myself or to consignors anymore. But I'm definitely enjoying the lack of certain weekly deadlines and having more of my life to myself.

I'll be happy to see you stop around, when you make it..
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2014, 11:31:06 PM »
as much fun as I can ...... cheers

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2014, 02:09:38 AM »
I consider myself an eloquent writer, quite witty and original

Yes your such an eloquent writer because you didnt come here for civil conversation,  you jumped on these forums and started insulting people and insulted peoples collecting habits. Thats not eloquent, its trashy, I expect much better conversation from someone that claims to be a serious collector.

And why aren't those 26+ daybills framed yet? (unless the images shown aren't actually yours). It's best to have that "crap" up on those high walls at the "weekend residence" rather than on the table or floor, where dried soap scum from patty fingers can be a problem --- especially there in Melbourne.  8

I agree, if he only buys posters that are worth framing how come all of the stuff he posted wasnt framed.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 02:29:53 AM »
In both senses...  Often a Bazterd more than a Bastard...  He could be both in the same post.

;D

Well said.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 02:47:13 AM »

definitely not Mel

I agree, if he only buys posters that are worth framing how come all of the stuff he posted wasnt framed.

good point
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:50:59 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 07:32:06 AM »
I am literally a Barstard and take offence at or being an insult.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!