Author Topic: What posters do you think are over-priced/over-rated?  (Read 30188 times)

2007Whoopi

Re: What posters do you think are over-priced/over-rated?
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2014, 05:44:15 PM »
Don't worry about any "backlash," 2007Whoopi.  Most people here are usually cool with others' different interests.  It would be great to see some of your acquisitions.

P.S. An exception to the "usually cool rule" is the Tom Cruise/Top Gun hater-wagon.  >:D

By the way, welcome1 aboard.

Thanks neo. Several people have mentioned how "cool" people are here with others' different interests, however I've been lurking a long time and seen the opposite on these boards. In the two days I have been posting, I have already witnessed silly twits get their knickers in a knot because I won't bid on their auctions ;) They're not doing a good job of convincing me otherwise!   ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »
Don't worry about any "backlash," 2007Whoopi.  Most people here are usually cool with others' different interests.  It would be great to see some of your acquisitions.

P.S. An exception to the "usually cool rule" is the Tom Cruise/Top Gun hater-wagon.  >:D

By the way, welcome1 aboard.

For sure, Brandon. And with everyone able to share and discuss the different things we all like and collect, is what keeps this or any forum a place where people feel like they can show off their new "poster goodness," if they want to. And not worry about being slam dunked, in the process.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2014, 06:56:17 PM »
So with the 2" of missing paper at the bottom, and border damage, will you leave it as is? Or do you think you might ever opt to have it restored at some point? Or will you keep it as a place holder until another, in better condition, appears, since you mentioned they seem to come up once a year or so for auction.

Can I ask what era (decade) and genre this insert is from?

2007Whoopi seems to have ignored your question Jeff, hmmmm.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2014, 06:59:07 PM »

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »
For sure, Brandon. And with everyone able to share and discuss the different things we all like and collect, is what keeps this or any forum a place where people feel like they can show off their new "poster goodness," if they want to. And not worry about being slam dunked, in the process.  thumbsup.gif

LMAO.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
'Tis a great shade of GREEN, too!  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
That's where I think I'm fortunate - I'm 35, no wife, no kid and no mortgage, stable income etc.. I also come from well-off parents and grand-father (trust-fund baby) and I work from home, so I can afford to surf the net when and where I like. Sheesh, not a good idea of me to reveal all that info second day on a forum but hey...
To be clear -I referenced my job, kid and mortgage as impediments to posting hunting 24/7.... My work, my gorgeous daughter and our beautiful house make me a very, very fortunate man.   :P

2007Whoopi

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
To be clear -I referenced my job, kid and mortgage as impediments to posting hunting 24/7.... My work, my gorgeous daughter and our beautiful house make me a very, very fortunate man.   :P

To each his own. But two out of the three you mentioned are important to me also :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2016, 09:52:38 PM »
I had forgotten how "insightful" the Aussie-based, whoopster's posts in this thread were. They offered some of this:  stickpoke.gif and some of that:  HAHA.gif

So it makes for an amusing read or re-visit.

But the thread topic is an interesting question.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:58:50 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4754

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2016, 10:45:38 PM »
Certainly some interesting and bold statements he made in this thread haha...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2016, 11:29:35 PM »
Certainly some interesting and bold statements he made in this thread haha...

For sure, e.

I think whoopster had that intent (being 'bold') from the get go, regardless of the thread's title. But the answers to his question certainly would be wide and varied among collectors.

-Jeff

guest4754

« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2016, 12:13:04 AM »
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to think of an answer to his question, because there really is no right answer. Star Wars posters came to mind for me right away, but I only thought of that because I personally don't like the movies. It's no shock that they go for as much as they do, because they have a large die-hard following. Essentially these fans are the ones that have set these high prices themselves, so I can't really say it's overpriced. Don't know if that made any sense, I need some sleep  :P

P.S: Semi-related but I just met my first real life fellow poster collector last week, who of course collects Star Wars posters and related memorabilia. I just about passed out when he told me he had around 50k invested into his Star Wars collection  faint2.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2016, 12:20:29 AM »
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to think of an answer to his question, because there really is no right answer. Star Wars posters came to mind for me right away, but I only thought of that because I personally don't like the movies. It's no shock that they go for as much as they do, because they have a large die-hard following. Essentially these fans are the ones that have set these high prices themselves, so I can't really say it's overpriced. Don't know if that made any sense, I need some sleep  :P

P.S: Semi-related but I just met my first real life fellow poster collector last week, who of course collects Star Wars posters and related memorabilia. I just about passed out when he told me he had around 50k invested into his Star Wars collection  faint2.gif

It's all very personal and almost like the idea of "one person's trash is another's treasure" idea. Those collectors and/or the niche market is what helps to maintain and further those values.

How did the SW poster-collector meeting go?  Did he talk like Yoda? Or breathe like Vader?  (kidding, of course) ;D

-Jeff

guest4754

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2016, 12:27:42 AM »
Haha a bit of the latter  :P. It was cool, even though we have very different tastes (I don't like Star Wars and he doesn't like horror) it's cool to see a fellow poster nerd. He actually owns a movie theater, and said I can come by and pick up any posters I want which was a nice offer. Unfortunately I don't think there's any hidden Universal posters in the basement tucked away but I guess you never know!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2016, 12:32:12 AM »
Sounds like a Poster Collector Encounter of the First Kind.  :D

Good on you for having the chance to meet up!

I've met only a couple fellow APF'ers in person, and it was great to spend time with both.

-Jeff

guest4754

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2016, 12:35:25 AM »
Hahaha you're killing me with these jokes Jeff!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2016, 01:17:56 AM »
I think the Double Indemnity 1sh, 3sh, half sheets and insert are too high priced

someone should sell them to me at a discount before they're worth nothing......

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2016, 07:41:14 PM »
I think the Double Indemnity 1sh, 3sh, half sheets and insert are too high priced

someone should sell them to me at a discount before they're worth nothing......

Otherwise they might even pay you to take them off their hands. Makes total sense.   ;D

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2016, 09:35:32 PM »
Otherwise they might even pay you to take them off their hands. Makes total sense.   ;D

hurry before it's too late

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------