Author Topic: What posters do you think are over-priced/over-rated?  (Read 30031 times)

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
Re: What posters do you think are over-priced/over-rated?
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
So, sometimes, yes overpaying can be justified - they were not the most valuable of posters, but at the same time who knows if/when they will ever resurface.

I agree 100%, also people should be thanking us for overpaying. I mean were increasing the prices of the posters, so for those that bought it cheap a while ago.....cha ching haha.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2014, 10:46:20 PM »

Ok. Miro, you've twisted my arm. When I've got a chance I'll take some photos of 3 posters I have awaiting framing - they were bought as a newbie collector off a dealer (mistake 1), so no chance of giving the game away as to my emovies bidder name. And while the dealer who over-charged me is cunning and dishonest enough to reveal my info, I will never buy from him again and I have moved address, different contact details etc so it wouldn't effect me even if he did.

OMG.. he bought a Pretty Woman one sheet from Dave!

Doh.gif

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

2007Whoopi

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
I've missed out on two posters this year (overbid) and yes I should have kept going as it still haunts me.  I have a job, kid, mortgage etc, I can't be surfing the net/auctions/ebay 24-7. 

So, sometimes, yes overpaying can be justified - they were not the most valuable of posters, but at the same time who knows if/when they will ever resurface.

That's where I think I'm fortunate - I'm 35, no wife, no kid and no mortgage, stable income etc.. I also come from well-off parents and grand-father (trust-fund baby) and I work from home, so I can afford to surf the net when and where I like. Sheesh, not a good idea of me to reveal all that info second day on a forum but hey...

2007Whoopi

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »
Maybe we are mental, seriously. As I was recently told by someone here, cant remember who haha......its not always about the money, to collectors its about having that poster. Heat of the moment type of shit, I guess you would consider me to have mental problems because I sometimes over pay for posters for 2 reasons.

1. Because I want that poster, right now.
2. Because I can afford to over pay for it.

And thats all that matters.

Right, that's why I paid 200 times my top estimate on a piece - it had never come up before and it was also on the cover of a movie poster book I had loved for years, so I had to have it. If another comes up, I will buy that too as I'm sure I could get it for less and even if I can't, it's good to have a spare. To me, that type of behaviour is neurotic but at least I have enough insight to admit it.  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
OMG.. he bought a Pretty Woman one sheet from Dave!

Doh.gif

laugh1

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2014, 12:06:44 AM »
Every single poster is over priced.

As for over rated, that is all in the eye of the beholder but I pick al Star Wars posters.  :P ;D

Back to over priced for a second. THEY ARE ALL OVER PRICED!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2014, 12:17:20 AM »

As for over rated, that is all in the eye of the beholder but I pick all Star Wars posters.  :P ;D

So true, Alex.. especially when one considers their original intent and being leased to theaters for a few pennies... especially back in the day...
 thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2014, 01:06:47 AM »
I am always surprised at the prices fetched by Bullitt posters (by the standards of late '60s posters).

The movie is OK I guess but nothing special for me, and the poster artwork is uninspired IMO.  I imagine some people out there truly do love the movie, and others just want the iconically "cool" Steve McQueen on their walls.  Le Mans also gets consistently high prices.  Obviously these people could save a lot of money by buying Junior Bonner posters instead  :P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:07:36 AM by DekeThornton »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
That's where I think I'm fortunate - I'm 35, no wife, no kid and no mortgage, stable income etc.. I also come from well-off parents and grand-father (trust-fund baby) and I work from home, so I can afford to surf the net when and where I like. Sheesh, not a good idea of me to reveal all that info second day on a forum but hey...

Sounds like money is really no object..and why you were able to go 200x over your high end budget on that insert.

That would be the dream of most collectors (of anything, not just posters).

The Veruca Salt lifestyle, personified.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:07:46 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2014, 01:12:28 AM »
Same goes with the 1967RR OS for the Paul Newman flicker, The Hustler (1961). Why does this RR OS always go for nice (higher) dollars?

What the market wants and will bear, I guess.

;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:13:12 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

2007Whoopi

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2014, 05:39:01 AM »

As for over rated, that is all in the eye of the beholder but I pick al Star Wars posters.  :P ;D

YES! I forgot about Star Wars. Personally, the films never did if for me (after Laurence of Arabia I swore off dull epics in the desert) but the posters REALLY don't do it for me. The 1970's was such a trashy decade all round - the worst of the 20th century in terms of film, fashion and especially music. I'm so glad my childhood fell in the 1980s - a great nostalgic decade full of fun, money and style. Although the movie posters were as bad, if not worse than they were in the 1970's - and that's saying something!

2007Whoopi

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2014, 05:42:20 AM »
I think the Vertigo one-sheet is terrible. Such a good movie and such a terrible Saul Bass design. I also can't believe how much "The Man With the Golden Arm" poster commands at auction. I don't mind simple posters if they are iconic but this one is just...nothing.

Mirosae

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2014, 05:48:18 AM »
Sounds like money is really no object..and why you were able to go 200x over your high end budget on that insert.

That would be the dream of most collectors (of anything, not just posters).

The Veruca Salt lifestyle, personified.
Agree. That is why the Casablanca insert went mighty cheap.

Yes. Had I been a prominent human rights lawyer, married to a simple who-cares- actor, in need to decorate my Palazzo in Venice I would have gone for it big time. Tea with Angelina and Brad Pitt.

Ah...back to count my pennies. ..

:)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:50:56 AM by Mirosae »

2007Whoopi

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2014, 06:58:48 AM »
Agree. That is why the Casablanca insert went mighty cheap.

Yes. Had I been a prominent human rights lawyer, married to a simple who-cares- actor, in need to decorate my Palazzo in Venice I would have gone for it big time. Tea with Angelina and Brad Pitt.

Ah...back to count my pennies. ..

:)

Miro, just for the record, I'm hardly rich - my salary per annum is $50,000 tops - and I only spend $15,000 a year on movie posters. Yes, I was able to use my trust to buy a really nice house and car when I turned 25, and I could theoretically use my trust quarterly interest payments to indulge in top of the line posters, but I don't. I prefer to use the money I actually earn for my hobby.

I imagine there are people on this forum who spend ten times what I do on posters, but I doubt they have better taste ;)

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »

Miro, just for the record, I'm hardly rich - my salary per annum is $50,000 tops - and I only spend $15,000 a year on movie posters. Yes, I was able to use my trust to buy a really nice house and car when I turned 25, and I could theoretically use my trust quarterly interest payments to indulge in top of the line posters, but I don't. I prefer to use the money I actually earn for my hobby.

I imagine there are people on this forum who spend ten times what I do on posters, but I doubt they have better taste ;)

$15k a year on posters, nice. When are we going to see pics of this collection?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:03:45 PM by AjTheGreat »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
for once I am in 100% agreement with Chris

Alright let's build on this achievement!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »

I wonder if many movie poster collectors have serious mental problems?

How appropriate
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »

You are right. It is not about the money.
 As about taste. Ah..we are all different and like different things. But of course you know that. So enough talk. Let's see your posters....Shall we?

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
I would love to post my collection on here but I'm afraid I would give my identity away - you would know immediately which bidder I was on emovieposter and I just know some bright spark on here would take to messing with my auctions just to drive up my bids.

Did you buy something that was simply rare and one of a kind? If not then Im sure your identity will be ok, as there are hundreds if not thousands of posters out there LOL.

Now back to the matter at hand, lets see this poster collection of yours. Maybe you can show us what $15k a year in posters looks like and more importantly what quality taste looks like  :)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:16:34 PM by AjTheGreat »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2014, 02:25:48 PM »

That's a bit extreme, don't you think? What I don't get about the sweet little munchkin is that he will bid on very poor condition items, items that are rare but still come up at least once a year, and he will pay five times what someone paid last year: for instance an insert that sold as "very fine" in 2013 for $250, and this year he paid $1,300 for an incomplete one missing borders and two inches of art work at the bottom. I don't get it. He has been around for years so I gather he does his research. All I can think of, is he saw me make a bid on this item and he went nutty and decided he would do anything to take it from me. The funny thing is, I bid a small amount as it was in bad condition and yet he was sent in a tail-spin and had to have it. He is definitely driving up prices and yet few people would pay $1,300 for mint condition insert on this title. It would cost more to restore than what it is worth. I wonder if many movie poster collectors have serious mental problems?

So with the 2" of missing paper at the bottom, and border damage, will you leave it as is? Or do you think you might ever opt to have it restored at some point? Or will you keep it as a place holder until another, in better condition, appears, since you mentioned they seem to come up once a year or so for auction.

Can I ask what era (decade) and genre this insert is from?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:28:52 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

2007Whoopi

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
Did you buy something that was simply rare and one of a kind? If not then Im sure your identity will be ok, as there are hundreds if not thousands of posters out there LOL.

Now back to the matter at hand, lets see this poster collection of yours. Maybe you can show us what $15k a year in posters looks like and more importantly what quality taste looks like  :)

All in good time, my dear, all in good time...

2007Whoopi

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »
You are right. It is not about the money.
 As about taste. Ah..we are all different and like different things. But of course you know that. So enough talk. Let's see your posters....Shall we?

Miro, the ones I want to show I plan on getting framed in the next few weeks. I would rather show them off to their best advantage in face of the inevitable back-lash (some people are so predictable) that will follow, or would you rather see them unframed?

Mirosae

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
Most people here - if not all- are very polite and respectful. I would not hesitate to show them unframed. It is always good to see the posters. And you can show them framed and unframed (!)
But it is your choice of course.

I take that you collect mostly vintage paper?

2007Whoopi

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
Yes. I'm hesitant to get more specific than that but if you read my comment on the "what don't you collect" thread you can probably work out my taste through process of elimination... ;)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Don't worry about any "backlash," 2007Whoopi.  Most people here are usually cool with others' different interests.  It would be great to see some of your acquisitions.

P.S. An exception to the "usually cool rule" is the Tom Cruise/Top Gun hater-wagon.  >:D

By the way, welcome1 aboard.