Author Topic: Snap frames and PVC clears  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
Snap frames and PVC clears
« on: August 29, 2014, 06:40:06 AM »
I've been looking into snap-frames.  Turns out there are any number of manufacturers but most are geared towards commercial use and dont really have any information as to their suitability for long term storage of a vintage poster.

I saw in another thread the suggestion of putting archival quality foam core behind the poster to be safe, but wont that add so much thickness as to make the frame not close completely?

Moreover most include a generic PVC "lens" to go over the poster.  A little goggling suggest PVC is something to be wary of in this context.  What could I purchase separately which would be clear, safe, and maybe even provide some UV protection?

guest8

Re: Snap frames and PVC clears
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
You should check out spotlight displays, he doesnt use "generic" pvc overlays. I can only assume when you mention using acid free backing that you are referring to my post where I mention adding acid free foam core to the spotlightdisplay frames. I dont do this for archival sake, I did this to rigidity to frames that are ~4x6'. This way I wouldnt need to mount them to the wall as they were meant to be. As for adding thickness, spotlights wide style can easily handles a sheet of foam core, multiple posters and the top overlay with out issue. If you have something where you want a matte or spacers then you will want the standard style frame which they can provide in varying depths.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Snap frames and PVC clears
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
Spotlight is probably what you want if you need snap frames.  But of course you would be importing from the US. 

Depending on what you want to frame and if you want to forego snap frames Mike from this forum is based in Ontario and runs this website: http://www.canadaposterframes.com/home.html
Chris