Author Topic: Lets talk about high end posters for investment.  (Read 5028 times)

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
Lets talk about high end posters for investment.
« on: August 03, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »
What do you consider high end? Posters over $10k-$15k......$50k?  When you investment a significant amount of money into a poster like that, how can you determine its value when none else have sold? I know a seller can ask whatever they want but should you expect a % of increase every year in value or is just whatever someone else will pay for it?

Just curious.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Lets talk about high end posters for investment.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:48:05 PM »
just whatever someone else will pay for it?

This holds true for ANY poster at any price level or end of the spectrum and always will.

Posters have no intrinsic value (unless you find one made out of stitched together $100 bills that is)
Chris

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »
This holds true for ANY poster at any price level or end of the spectrum and always will.

Posters have no intrinsic value (unless you find one made out of stitched together $100 bills that is)

Thats what I figured for the most part, but some of these posters that go for some real high dollars....I would expect a decent profit out of it at least.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »
Thats what I figured for the most part, but some of these posters that go for some real high dollars....I would expect a decent profit out of it at least.

That's not usually why they are being purchased.  Sure it does happen.  But take Ralph Deluca for instance...he's generally paying big $ because he simply must own the poster regardless of any investment consideration...

There are much better (and safer) ways to invest $50,000
Chris

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:05:49 PM »
That's not usually why they are being purchased.  Sure it does happen.  But take Ralph Deluca for instance...he's generally paying big $ because he simply must own the poster regardless of any investment consideration...

Yeah I guess your right.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »

And he's competing with others who also must have it, too; that's how the numbers get driven so high.. and for many of them, Ralph end up being the man with the most-est. 

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »
....some of these posters that go for some real high dollars....I would expect a decent profit out of it at least.

good luck with that AJ.

exactly

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 09:01:09 PM »
A couple of statements from the autosports world apply:
1.  There's money in racing.  I put it there myself
2.  How to make a small fortune in racing.  Start with a large fortune.
-Jay-

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
A couple of statements from the autosports world apply:
1.  There's money in racing.  I put it there myself
2.  How to make a small fortune in racing.  Start with a large fortune.

LOL.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
When I was 10 I thought I would collect baseball cards, cash them in when I grew up and collect my millions.  My advice is: collect what you like, do not expect to make a buck.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »
What do you consider high end? Posters over $10k-$15k......$50k?  When you invest a significant amount of money into a poster like that, how can you determine its value when none else have sold? I know a seller can ask whatever they want but should you expect a % of increase every year in value or is just whatever someone else will pay for it?

Just curious.

When no others have sold, and a buyer is paying $X.00 dollars for it, then the value would be what was paid for it, at that time. If, down the road, another copy were to be found, or if that only known copy was consigned and sold, then a valuation history could be started and recorded for any future sales.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:30:38 PM »
When no others have sold, and a buyer is paying $X.00 dollars for it, then the value would be what was paid for it, at that time. If, down the road, another copy were to be found, or if that only known copy was consigned and sold, then a valuation history could be started and recorded for any future sales.

Well....
If it was sold by a dealer, you need to factor in the reputation of the dealer and how long it was in stock.  Basically, how long would it take to find another you who was willing to pay that price.

The auction is similar.  In my mind it is worth the last bid by the under bidder.  Again, you need to consider the overall strength of the auction, who was bidding and how well is the auction known.

Naturally, these are more advanced strategies for someone who is experienced in the field.  You also need to know trends, condition, genres, etc
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »
At the end of the day, and taking into account things like strength of the market, trends, auction or dealer, strength of auction etc, all which will affect its final sales result, if a never before offered poster, without any previous auction history, sells for $10,000.00 (for example), then doesnt it make sense that this is its value?

Until this poster might go on the market at some point in the future, (or another copy was found and auctioned or sold), I would think that realized price, would serve as a starting point for that particular poster's auction history.

I would guess this is how auction histories are started for anything, posters or otherwise. They all start with the first "one" found and offered or sold.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »
Well, even Bruce's archive has items which have never been auctioned, or are only contained in his archive gallery.  Still a fair amount of one of a kind posters out there.  The market in these cases will likely be determined by factors such as reputation of the actors, image wow factor, genre, condition.

I would never use a single data point to establish value.  In addition, the market goes up and down. The price a poster sold for in 2007 or 1997 is kind of irrelevant. There are numerous posters that peaked in value near the release of the movie that are fish wrapping today.

At the end of the day, the value of a poster is what I, and I alone am willing to pay.  Like T, I have never sold a poster.  When I do, they will be worth what they sell for, and probably mostly below my expectation.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
Well, even Bruce's archive has items which have never been auctioned, or are only contained in his archive gallery.  Still a fair amount of one of a kind posters out there.  The market in these cases will likely be determined by factors such as reputation of the actors, image wow factor, genre, condition.

I would never use a single data point to establish value.  In addition, the market goes up and down. The price a poster sold for in 2007 or 1997 is kind of irrelevant. There are numerous posters that peaked in value near the release of the movie that are fish wrapping today.

At the end of the day, the value of a poster is what I, and I alone am willing to pay.
  Like T, I have never sold a poster.  When I do, they will be worth what they sell for, and probably mostly below my expectation.

That's the point I was also making. So we were saying the same thing, basically. When a first time, never before auctioned poster hits the market, and there's no previous sales history, its value, at that point, is determined by what the top bidder or buyer is willing to pay for it.

As time goes on (another copy that might sell for more or less), or the original copy being sold for more or maybe less, then a tracked value history begins to emerge. And yes, those other determining factors (actor, poster type, venue offering it, year etc) will all also play a part in that potential valuation process.

-Jeff